PDA

View Full Version : Help with Gas regulators for Lincoln Mig

Lee-Enfield
01-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Okay so I have a few questions regarding mid welding and gas shielding and setting up for using gas. complete newb at this so i apologize for any errors or misunderstandings ahead of time.

I just recently purchased a Lincoln Electric Handy Mig welder and have been using it with Flux Core wire without gas,

I am wanting to set it up to run on Co2 since i currently have a full Co2 bottle left over from home brewing.

now it says in the instructions i can't use the Regulator that comes with the welder without some sort of adapter.

What I am wondering is, Can i use the regulator that comes with it ( meant for argon/co2 mix)
to run pure Co2 what are the downsides of doing so?

I also noticed that the regulator that comes with it does not have any sort of gauge to go with it to set Pressure or Volume and i am wondering if i should get a pure Co2 Regulator that does.

I have been having trouble finding out what regulators or feed rates are recommended when using this welder.
any help is appreciated

thanks!

lamename
01-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Does your regulator not screw onto your tank? If it does use it. It doesn't have some sort of knob to adjust the cfm coming out? If it does run 15 or so cfm. don't to forget to run electrode pos. polarity when you switch to solid wire. And make sure you have the correct size tip for your wire.

Lee-Enfield
01-04-2012, 11:08 AM
the regulator is designed to fit on a Argon/CO2 tank i believe

i THINK i can rig it to fit on my Co2 tank we used for home brewing

it has a allen wrench knob for adjusting but no dials at all

the Co2 Regulator for brewing i have on the tank only has dials for PSI not CFM

DSW
01-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Small cheap mig regs are often preset for flow so you don't need a gauge.

You will need an adapter to convert the reg over to 100% CO2, or you need to get a dedicated CO2 reg. One down side of mixed gas regs is that they can freeze up when running high volumes of straight CO2. CO2 regs usually have heat sinks built into the reg to "warm" them so they are less prone to freeze up.

It's up to you. The adapter probably is the least expensive way to go. Use it and see if this is the way you want to go. There are good and bad points for running 100% CO2. It's a bit "hotter" than running 75/25, so you get a bit more penetration. A good thing if you want to stretch your small mig to the max. Not so good if you are trying to weld sheet metal however. Also you get more spatter running 100% CO2 vs 75/25. Then there's the added cost to get the adapter or dedicated CO2 reg...