PDA

View Full Version : Teaching a new guy

Standup Philosopher
01-04-2012, 06:42 PM
My brother asked me if I could show him how to weld (we've all heard that before), but unlike everyone else he actually showed up to learn. Yesterday I just had him drawing beads on scrap and getting his sowed and motions consistent, but today I set him up on some 3/16" scrap and had him doing three pass filet joints. The first few were as to be expected but his last two blew me away! Until yesterday he had never touched a welder, and with a grand total of about 4 hours burning rod he produced welds that take some people weeks to make. By no means are they perfect, but they are very impressive for his level. He has taken to welding like a duck to water and I am very proud of him. These were all done with 1/8" 6011, I would have preferred 6010's but that's what he bought.

DLite
01-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Not bad for very first time....but I've never found the physical act of welding diffcult at all...and not suprised that most people can pick it up quickly.

The real art and talent comes in selecting the right process, rod type/diameter, heat, filler type and size, wire speed, voltage, gas flow, getting gaps set right, making straight cuts, etc etc, so that on the first strike of the arc, you get a a good looking bead, just the right amount of penetration, etc...without having to waste metal by laying practice beads. Which all comes from practice and experience.

For instance, I remember the first time I ever tig welded years ago...it seemed like cake to lay flat beads, but someone had already set the machine up for me, had the right tungstens, etc...I didn't have to worry about that. But just a few months ago, I got back into it, and it wasn't quite as easy, having to get all set up myself, so i've gone through a few bottles of argon and tubes of filler rod figuring all that out for myself....but it's fun!!

WeldingMachine
01-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Kudos to the new student, He'll do fine!

For instance, I remember the first time I ever tig welded years ago...it seemed like cake to lay flat beads, but someone had already set the machine up for me, had the right tungstens, etc...I didn't have to worry about that. But just a few months ago, I got back into it, and it wasn't quite as easy, having to get all set up myself, so i've gone through a few bottles of argon and tubes of filler rod figuring all that out for myself....but it's fun!!

I used to give the welding tests (for new hires) at a shop that I worked at.
I would zero every adjustment on the machine, leave the torch in pieces on the table along with an assortment of different material coupons on the table.

50% of the morons that the office sent to me couldn't even reassemble the torch. Those were quick tests...

DemonSpeeder
01-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Kudos to the new student, He'll do fine!

I used to give the welding tests (for new hires) at a shop that I worked at.
I would zero every adjustment on the machine, leave the torch in pieces on the table along with an assortment of different material coupons on the table.

50% of the morons that the office sent to me couldn't even reassemble the torch. Those were quick tests...

What type of test was it??

50% of the morons that the office sent to me couldn't even reassemble the torch. Those were quick tests...[/quote]

That is sad,really sad.

DemonSpeeder
01-04-2012, 08:38 PM
My brother asked me if I could show him how to weld (we've all heard that before), but unlike everyone else he actually showed up to learn. Yesterday I just had him drawing beads on scrap and getting his sowed and motions consistent, but today I set him up on some 3/16" scrap and had him doing three pass filet joints. The first few were as to be expected but his last two blew me away! Until yesterday he had never touched a welder, and with a grand total of about 4 hours burning rod he produced welds that take some people weeks to make. By no means are they perfect, but they are very impressive for his level. He has taken to welding like a duck to water and I am very proud of him. These were all done with 1/8" 6011, I would have preferred 6010's but that's what he bought.

Those welds are pretty good for only a couple hours... he is well on his way..... I say let him try some 7018....

DSW
01-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Good instruction can easily cut the learning time, IF the student pays attention to what they are being taught and has a real desire to learn.

I see way too many who think they already know what to do, or just want to go thru the motions to move on to the next step and never really "learn". The "learning" part is boring... so they want to just skip it and move on to the "fun" stuff.

It's good to see those few who really "want" to learn, and take the time to pay attention and do what they are instructed. Good for you.

Renagade
01-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Look's Like He's Doing Pretty Good - Better Tell Him To Snap That Jacket