PDA

View Full Version : Recent railing/counter top job completed

jbyrd
02-06-2012, 01:32 AM
Finished this one last week. Installed railings between existing customer installed posts (let's just say they were less than plumb) and a countertop frame that he will tile himself. Customer loves quail so I designed and inset them into the railing.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

forhire
02-06-2012, 04:34 AM
I like the design. Did you cut the customer a few extra pheasants to set out in the back yard as decoration? Weld a stake on and he can set them in the grass. They'd also make good targets. :D

Post a picture once he tiles the thing.

tnjind
02-06-2012, 06:28 AM
What will hold the tile? any backer? will you see the edge of the backer? Does the tile set down between the tubing?

Looks good

DSW
02-06-2012, 07:10 AM
Whats in the PVC posts? PT 4x4's or did they load them with crete?

Your work looks good. My only real concern would be the attachment to the posts. I like the quail. Gald you included that detail shot because they looked like chickens in the other picts.

I'm not terribly impressed with the stamped concrete I see. Especially in the corner by the step in the 1st pict. If we'd done that job we'd have been ripping it out and I'd have been getting my azz chewed out by my old boss. That said, I've seen a lot worse. :laugh: Guess that's what you get when you spend almost 10 years in the industry. I probably spent as much time looking at the crete in the picts as the steel and critiquing it.

bottlefed89
02-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Your work looks awesome!! I'm with DSW though, the stamped portion of the concrete leaves a bit to be desired.... Also, the posts dont really 'flow' with the rest of the project.... Obviously I dont know what type of tile will be used, but I've seen similar setups with stone or block type columns instead of posts that looked good and could have match the block wall, but that may have taken away too much usable space here. Please post pics when the tile and everything is finished... Great work!!

jbyrd
02-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the comments,

Never really saw it but they do look like chcikens from a distance. :)

The posts are 3x3 x3/16 wall square tubing powdercoated white. This part was already completed before I came into the picture. Customer also handled all colors and powdercoating after fabrication. The rails are done in an antique brown, that I like, but a little contrasting next to the white.

What are your concerns about the attaching?

Thanks again for all the input

jbyrd
02-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Oh and the concrete is from a local non-licensed guy that has been preying on the local elderly population. He's long been arrested last I heard. They were pretty gunshy until they saw how I was dedicated to making sure they were satisfied.

The backing board will be attached to the top and sides and the tile will wrap over the edges. Per customers specs. I've done some tile but not my forte.

DSW
02-06-2012, 12:49 PM
They looked like the PVC fence post sleeves that are common with PVC fence systems in the picts. In some cases they are empty ( doubtful with bolts), in some cases they have a 4x4 inside ( single bolt looked to small) or some times they are filled with crete with a rebar or two inside ( they tend to crack and snap and would make a lousy anchoring point) The white inside and out and the large radius corners fooled me.

I hadn't thought about powder coated steel since you said the home owner installed them. That makes a lot more sense.

I'm just used to light weight options from what I've seen homeowners install in the past. You wouldn't believe how many times I had to go back to a job we poured and stamped later to replace a fence post that was installed prior to our work, then later broke off, rotted or had to be replaced/removed. We'd get called since no fence contractor wanted to F up the crete, and I'd get sent to the job because I was the guy who could figure out how to do crazy things like this.

I've actually got a 5" steel basement support column that's in a stained and etched concrete floor that I need to cut off below the floor this spring and then patch the floor as best as possible to match. All because the customer decided after the floor was poured and finished to install a steel beam and delete the column.