View Full Version : My latest project
03-29-2004, 11:44 PM
Hi all, I just found this board and it's awesome. I picked up a Miller Dialarc HF a while back, and have been using it for my latest project, twin turbochargers for my truck. A few pics:
This is the tubing for the intake-side of the system. It's mild steel:
This is my carb hat, made from 6061 Al sheet:
How does it look?
03-30-2004, 01:40 AM
Does it make little beeps and blips like R2D2?
03-30-2004, 02:26 AM
Looks good. How are you clamping your plenum onto your carb without crushing it?
Since this is a welding site, you have to post close-ups of your welds.
03-30-2004, 09:31 AM
Since the carb intake is pressurized, don't you have to enclose the entire carb in the box so it will work properly?
The carb has air bleeds/vents that should be at atomospheric pressure.
Or is it a special carb for turbos?
03-30-2004, 01:49 PM
I built the plenum with an internal brace. Here's a picture:
This also shows most of the welds. Some of them are a little sloppy, but hey, I'm still learning. I've only been welding with it for ~6 hours.
I set my carb up to work in this application. I could have built a box around the entire thing, but it would have taken a lot longer, and been harder to worker on. You would get the same results, either way: a lot more power! I will have to do some air bleed tuning to get the fuel curve right, but that's half the fun.
04-03-2004, 07:50 AM
how old is your dialarc? i picked one up in december. it's a 1976 vintage. this thing really impresses me. i have a ready welder spoolgun that i hook up if i want to mig something. looks like a cool project, i've been working on a turbo kit for my mustang, or atleast i was. i got the headers made and turbo mounted then i lost intrest for a while. i need a bellhousing so i can make the crossover behind the motor. have fun
04-03-2004, 02:13 PM
I once had a Paxton supercharger on a 289. The whole carb was in a two piece aluminum box. :)
04-03-2004, 04:56 PM
This may be just a jackass thing to say but...
When you rev the motor, the whole thing, intake and all, is going to move. Did you make sure that you had enough room for that?
See, I would put lots of wires and delicate tubes around the intake runners, then the first time I goosed the motor I would tear out the entire wiring harness. But that's just me, other people are more smarter than I am.
Nice work! Cool project!
We definitely want to see MORE closeups of your welding, especially the more out of position welds on the Al carb box.
04-06-2004, 11:55 PM
craig- my dialarc is also of 70's vintage. I bought it at an auction at a trade school. After adjusting the spark gaps, it works like a champ!
rusted- There is plenty of room for movement. Shadows in the pictures make it look closer in places than it really is. I do need to come up with a mount that still allows flexiblity, but is rigid enough to support a 3 foot pipe hanging off my engine!
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.