PDA

View Full Version : MIG, TIG, SMAW...it all stinks!



DirtyLittleSecret
02-10-2007, 12:57 AM
So, Im a newbie. Yesterday I got to use my buddies MIG (first time) at his exhaust shop, and I gotta say that it STANK! We had the bays completely open, and no cars running. My stick smells almost heavenly earthy compared to this...I actually got sick to my stomach after 30 minutes of this MIG.

Do different welders or modes of welding have different odors? Is it because of flux, different gasses, etc?

Never woulda thought about this, and just know that someone's gonna think Im a pansy...

ZTFab
02-10-2007, 01:08 AM
First off....what were you welding?

Possibility that the material you were welding had some coating, oil, or other crap on it that was making you sick.

Maybe some aluminized tubing? You said you were at an exhaust shop, right?

- Paul

LuzRD
02-10-2007, 01:21 AM
so far i LOVE the smell of all welding processes (ya pansy lol) MIG, TIG, STICK and it all has its own odor, now it just may be that the smell of mig isnt appealing to you.
I would first test Pauls thought about the material you were welding by finding another friend with a mig (or the same friend but with different (uncoated/clean) steel to weld for a comparison.
any chance that there was somthing else in the exhaust shop that was offending the ole sniffer?
if you weld with your face right above the puddle, maybe try and shift yourself back a wee bit so your not breathing the welding fumes directly.

DirtyLittleSecret
02-10-2007, 01:32 AM
It WAS aluminized tubing (replacing my exhaust, and no leaks so I guess it came out okay). I'll hit some spare tubing that I brought home to work on. Maybe I was letting off some gasses with the welding? I did clean it thoroughly with acetone as well.
I really dont know anything about MIG. He handed me a gun that was preset and let me have at the tube bender, but I guess if it didnt kill me...felt fine after getting away from the stink. Maybe got "hit" with something.

MJDamiani
02-10-2007, 02:18 AM
I love the smell of welding in the morning, It smells like victory !

David R
02-10-2007, 05:56 AM
Argon smells good to me. Its the coating on the pipe you were burning off. Try grinding it off first. If its a grey coating, it could be galvanized. DO NOT breathe that stuff. It is toxic.

David

jamlit
02-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Argon smells good to me. Its the coating on the pipe you were burning off. Try grinding it off first. If its a grey coating, it could be galvanized. DO NOT breathe that stuff. It is toxic.

David

David is very right about galvanized steel. Bad stuff the breath. I find allot of exhuast pipe's have different coating that make allot of bad smoke and fumes. Hard on the lungs. Aluminized exhuast pipe stinks when welding and doesn't weld as good if not cleaned. I weld allot of black iron pipe and the coating on it is also is hard on the lungs. Try sanding or grinding the material back a little then weld it. You should fin a big difference.

Have fun:cool2:

lorenzo
02-10-2007, 09:10 AM
When you would finish your bead and lift you lid di you se any white stringy floater lifting into the air? Did you notice if the metal aroud the weld had a white fiberous/ string like substance on the sufrace? You you saw this or anything like this it was galvy...... and as pointed out..... It WILL make you sick, Metal Fume Fever..... google it.

By the way David R, argon gas is ODORLESS and TASTELESS, so whatever it is your smelling it's not the gas.... Also you realy want to try and avoid breathing argon as itis heavier that oxygen and begin the displace the capacity of your lungs. Prolonged exposure can lead to illness suffocation or death. So please be careful..... here is a short description of the health problem assocciated with argon exposure, this is copy of the web, from Lenntech.com


Routes of exposure: The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation.

Inhalation risk: On loss of containment this liquid evaporates very quickly causing supersaturation of the air with serious risk of suffocation when in confined areas.

Effects of exposure: Inhalation: Dizziness. Dullness. Headache. Suffocation. Skin: On contact with liquid: frostbite. Eyes: On contact with liquid: frostbite.

Inhalation: This gas is inert and is classified as a simple asphyxiant. Inhalation in excessive concentrations can result in dizziness, nausea, vomiting, loss of consciousness, and death. Death may result from errors in judgment, confusion, or loss of consciousness which prevent self-rescue. At low oxygen concentrations, unconsciousness and death may occur in seconds without warning.

The effect of simple asphyxiant gases is proportional to the extent to which they diminish the amount (partial pressure) of oxygen in the air that is breathed. The oxygen may be diminished to 75% of it's normal percentage in air before appreciable symptoms develop. This in turn requires the presence of a simple asphyxiant in a concentration of 33% in the mixture of air and gas. When the simple asphyxiant reaches a concentration of 50%, marked symptoms can be produced. A concentration of 75% is fatal in a matter of minutes.

Symptoms: The first symptoms produced by a simple asphyxiant are rapid respirations and air hunger. Mental alertness is diminished and muscular coordination is impaired. Later judgment becomes faulty and all sensations are depressed. Emotional instability often results and fatigue occurs rapidly. As the asphyxia progresses, there may be nausea and vomiting, prostration and loss of consciousness, and finally convulsions, deep coma and death.

David R
02-10-2007, 08:13 PM
I see your point. I guess its just the smell of welding. I don't sniff the stuff, I just like the smell of Mig welding.

Thanks for the info. :)

David

lorenzo
02-10-2007, 08:25 PM
I see your point. I guess its just the smell of welding. I don't sniff the stuff, I just like the smell of Mig welding.

Thanks for the info. :)

David


I just don't want to see you die because you think something smells good :jester:

lewray
02-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Yeah like everyone says its got to be the coating. Next time use some mild steel after you clean the surface and lay a bead down w/ the argon mix and take a sniff. It will surely change your mind.

Dipper Welder64
02-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Another is cadium plating is bad stuff never inhale!