SA200 teardown findings
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

SA200 teardown findings

Well I guess tearing down a 42 year old machine will have it's discoveries. I found a piece of cardboard lying underneath the exiter armature, though I'm speculating the factory put it there as it has the same reddish paint that's on the windings

The thing I'm not happy with, is the welds I found on the armature shaft near the retainer nut threads. I'm assuming that the exciter armature bore must be worn and sloppy - there appears to be a few scuffs on one of the exciter coils. Wondering if there is a bushing insert I can use or if I need to replace the armature?

The armature shaft bearing is also starting to throw grease, so I'm guessing its time to change it while the machine is apart (?)

apologies if I dont have the correct terminology for these parts...and for my crappy phone pics
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Thermal Arc Fabricator 210
    1970 Lincoln Redface
    Miller 150 STL
    Still need a Syncrowave and a plasma and a milling machine and a lathe and a bigger shop and a....

Re: SA200 teardown findings

When ever you have a generator that far apart you always change the bearings.
    Not a lot of money and you don't want to take it apart again in 6 mounts if they fail.
    Not sure about those welds, they don't look factory to me.Ask duaneb55 he will know. send pm.
    Try not to tare up the "cardboard" It is an insulation paper that is needed to keep thing apart..
    You will need to check the bearing housing and make sure the bearing is not loose.
    It is common for the exciter armature shaft to get bent because some son set the welder down hard.
    The shaft in side get bent. The shaft is soft and can be adjusted with a bar. just center it up.
    Bearing has to be tight in the housing and on the shaft.
    Last edited by ccawgc; 03-22-2012 at 03:17 AM.

I agree 100% with ccawgc on the bearing. Even the most expensive places sell them for under $50 and do you really want to be doing a tear-down again in 6 months like he said?

On the shaft, was the tappered centering collar under the retaining nut washer? The exciter armature doesn't ride directly on the shaft but the centering collar does. If the shaft runs true and is of the correct OD for the collar, I wouldn't worry about it. However, if the OD in that area is not, remove the shaft and correct it. If it doesn't fun true, then straighten it as ccawgc described.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

thanks guys
    Thermal Arc Fabricator 210
    1970 Lincoln Redface
    Miller 150 STL
    Still need a Syncrowave and a plasma and a milling machine and a lathe and a bigger shop and a....