Bosch magneto on SA200
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Question Bosch magneto on SA200

Went to use the old welder the other day, and no start. Found that the points in the mag were completely gone. Center carbon brush in the cap was gone too, so figure the brush went south, and causing an arc from there to the rotor, causing the points to arc heavily, thereby melting the plastic. Ordered new points and brush/spring from standard magneto, and I can't make the thing fire. First question: where do you set the points. As I understand the operation, the points are closed, providing a path to ground for the coil to build its field. At the proper time, the points snap open, allowing the foil field to collapse, charging the condensor, which in turn fires through the rotor to the plugs. I manually rotated the engine until the impulse coupling snapped. Set the gap @ .018. - no fire. repeated, but backed the engine up until the white tooth on the fibe gear lined up with the window in the cap, pointing at #1 plug, adjusted for .018 - no fire. Condensor checks good with ohm meter. Coil reads about 4Kohms from red wire to brass contact. Red wire to ground is just about a dead short. Is this a defective coil? Where can I find instructions as to how to set the points while the mag is on the machine? This welder has ran perfectly for the last several years until this. Nothing else has changed.

Re: Bosch magneto on SA200

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/forum...ax=&order=desc

Go to the above page. read the info, if you find it relevent, right click the topic & open the thread in a different tab or page. If it is not going to help you come back & move to another one. I have nothing on the Bosch mag, but here is lots of info here.
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.
    -Cree Indian Proverb

SA 200 Lincoln
    Victor Torches

Re: Bosch magneto on SA200

You might already have this? Googled it.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/die...s/MagData6.htm
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.
    -Cree Indian Proverb

SA 200 Lincoln
    Victor Torches