sa 200 magneto timing
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

sa 200 magneto timing

how do i set up the magneto to the engine timing ?

Re: sa 200 magneto timing

Unless you have moved the governor, there is no need to consider timing. Put the mag into its mounting hole, gas on, crank engine with #1 plug wire in each hole until engine fires. At that point, put in rest of wires, order 1342 (don't forget mag rotates clockwise from either end), job done. weldersales

#1.Take #1 plug out and hold thumb over hole and bump engine until it blows your thumb off by compression.#1 and #4 will be at Top Dead Center on compression stroke.

#2.If the govenor is on it with the magneto off look into the hole and make sure the govenor punch mark is in-between the two punch marks on the cam gear or vise-a-versa.Some govenors have two punch marks on the gear then you would want the cam gear punch mark between them.

#3.The govenor gear has a cup with a female type trench like below.
    ________
    ________

You want it looking horizontal and the mag has a square key stock male type trench that goes into the female when its stabbed onto the govenor.

#4.Before stabbing the mag put a plug wire into the #4 position with a plug and lay it on top of the head and turn the male type trench until it fires off from the #4 plug.As soon as it fires turn a little counter clock wise where it will be running horizontal with the mag in the up-right position.It is ready to stab.Be careful or you can be grounded out and when the mag fires you will not like it a bit.

Take the two screws out of the mag and pull the plug wire cap off and adjust the mag where the rotor cap lines up with the #4 position plug wire and tighten the two mag bolts down and it will be timed correctly.It wires clock-wise 1342.Dont get 3 and 4 swapped or it will sound like a two cylinder.

The plugs set on 30 thousandths-points 20-Valve lash 14.

Good welding.

God bless.

Steven.
    Good welding is between the shoulder and the holder.

I also like the decal logo that says: MILLER
    KILLER

Step by step.... From the BEST!

http://billswelderrepair.com/magneto-timing.html
    Lincoln SA200's... at least 15 - 20. They come and go. Growing partial to the "Short Hoods" in my old age. Last count on Short Hoods was 13 in possession.

I have a 73 black face sa 200. The only mark on the flywheel is a trench like on a small block chevy balancer. I cannot find any other marks. I have cleaned the flywheel and checked it several times. I put that line in the keyhole and stabbed the mag. It cranks fine but with a timing light i can't find that mark.
    The problem with the machine was after I had a mechanic work on it for a mag tooth broken the machine ran fine but bogged way down under load. I was told that the bearing in the governor probably had too much slack. I pulled the governor and it is fine. Looks like it has been rebuilt before. When I run the machine now it won't idle down like the timing is too far advanced. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by WINGMAN74 View Post
    I have a 73 black face sa 200. The only mark on the flywheel is a trench like on a small block chevy balancer. I cannot find any other marks. I have cleaned the flywheel and checked it several times. I put that line in the keyhole and stabbed the mag. It cranks fine but with a timing light i can't find that mark.
    The problem with the machine was after I had a mechanic work on it for a mag tooth broken the machine ran fine but bogged way down under load. I was told that the bearing in the governor probably had too much slack. I pulled the governor and it is fine. Looks like it has been rebuilt before. When I run the machine now it won't idle down like the timing is too far advanced. Any help would be appreciated.
    --------------

Photos of the mark your looking for.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Lincoln SA200's... at least 15 - 20. They come and go. Growing partial to the "Short Hoods" in my old age. Last count on Short Hoods was 13 in possession.