Industrial Tradesman/ Shutdown jobs...
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Industrial Tradesman/ Shutdown jobs...

I graduated from welding school about a month ago now, and have yet to find a job. My school sends me the Industrial Tradesman once a month, which has a plethora of new jobs and shutdowns, but heres my question.....Is it best to fax your resume (which I have for a few jobs, but have not heard back yet) or is it best to just show up and hope theyre hiring? Its expensive obviously traveling to these jobs, Id hate to get to one only to find out theyve stopped hiring. Besides welding school I have no experience in the field, except a little construction work here and there and being prior- military. Any suggestions would help, thanks!

Re: Industrial Tradesman/ Shutdown jobs...

Good luck, keep working at it. Stress the Veteran status, there is a good awareness recently on the value of prior military training ~teamwork, maturity etc~
    ? Offer limited amount of free time to a local shop... hoping he will become a recommendation or see your value for his setup.

Fax then call I'd say... ASK for a person to person sit down interviews.

Gov't job? Civil service counts your service time for hiring.

All the luck in the world and especially thanks for being there for our country.
    Lincoln Power MIG 215
    Lincoln WeldPak 3200HD
    Lincon ProCut 25
    Lincoln WeldanPower 225 AC/DC

If all else fails... buy more tools

nightman,
    Many years ago (too many) I was leaving a contractor's office in a dejected state of mind, slumped shoulders and kind of 'low'.

A welder who'd been turned down for work, like my interest in working as a helper at that location, came out of the same office, just behind me, but he was cheerful and upbeat.

He took a look at me and told me what turned out to be fine advice. He said, "If you want a job you've got to be there every day, smiling and cheerful, early and prompt and let them know you want to work. IF you get turned down just say thanks to the secretary and say- I'll see you in the morning!"

He said he was on his way to the next contractor's shop a few miles away and would be doing the rounds until he 'got on'.

I began that same routine & just before I went in these doors each day I made an effort to be smiling and within a week a week got a job. I've never been out of work since- (more decades than we want to discuss) so..... I think its best to go to these locations and be there in person.

I know travel is costly but then I'd make the rounds to EVERY single shop in your area, EVERY DAY, and eventually someone is going to notice you're there to work- and give you the chance to show them what you've got.

Don't be shy about starting out as a "helper whose been to welding school". Most contractors would rather hire someone at a low paying/low risk job to see what they've "got to offer" before offering new welders a chance only to find out they're not ready to weld full time.

If you want to work? Show them you do. If you want to work? take whatever job they'll give and 'work up'. I began sweeping floors and don't regret that 'toe in the door' job and you won't either.

I've seen lots of 'new' welders who were a tad too proud to take helper's work (not that you fall in this category) but it limited their chances of getting a job. I'd been welding for a few years full time when things slowed and I took a spot as a helper to a welder that I knew well. Within a week I'd started welding again as the new shop saw I was willing to cut, fit, weld, sweep the shop, empty the trash or clean up the shear; and do it with a smile.

my experience in the 'awl-feeyull' welding for what its worth?

Cheers,
    Kevin Morin

you better be ready for a shock if you get on doing shut downs. it's not easy. if you're around for the first few days you might get lucky because the attrition rate is high. lot of guys can't handle the confusion, work, or long hours.

i recently spoke with a retired boiler maker, in florida, he said they have a lot of work coming up. you could go to tampa (go in person, don't call) and see if you can get some info on the apprenticeship program.

here's a link.

the ironworkers hall is on the same street so you might stop in there also.

http://www.manta.com/c/mmygbtq/intl-...d-boilermakers
    Last edited by fdcmiami; 04-01-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Save your money when working shutdowns, just cause your making a lot at that time doesn't mean it will continue that way. In the next week you may not be working. I am a 4 th year boilermaker apprentice and am almost out, but you gotta be food with your money or you'll starve