lincoln Vs. Miller, which one?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

lincoln Vs. Miller, which one?

I looking to buy a mig welder. The lincoln sp175 plus or the Miller? i wanting to buy the new miller 180 but if i buy the lincoln sp175plus i will save $175.
    Last edited by newxs650; 04-08-2007 at 09:33 AM.

Re: lincoln Vs. Miller, which one?

FWIW, take a look at the hobart handler 187. I was looking at the same machines you are and did alot of searching, and the 187 got alot of rave reviews on other boards from those who have compared them. I got mine last week on a deal from Sears, but I've yet to try it.

Just so you know, you are comparing Lincoln's old model with Miller's new model. That's probably accounting for the differences in price.

Good news is that Lincoln's old model had excellent reviews, some better than Miller's older model. But Miller's new model is also excellent, as are Lincoln's and Hobart's.

If buying on budget, I think you will be extremely well served with the Hobart HH187, but any of the welders mentioned will be sound choices.

These are the same MIGs that I was looking at prior to deciding that TIG was what I was to learn on. All three have excellent reviews. In the end try to buy what it is that you WANT just so long as it will do what you NEED. Miller/Hobart has some things that Lincoln doesnt (ie: insanely good customer service).
    If you're , buy .
    If you're , buy .
    ThermalArc 185
    MillerMatic 180 w/ Autoset
    Victor Cutskill Oxy/Acetylene
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38
    and spite!

if looking at the miller vs lincoln, I like miller better but when dealing with these two brands, go with what even one you like more and gives you the best price. Make sure you have a dealer for the one you get close incase you need it. Color doesn't mean a thing as long as it works good and does the job. Brands do however make some difference.
    Miller DVI2
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Thermodynamics Cutmaster 38
    Everything else needed.

Okay this is what the other guy on the sit said "A friend has a SP175 and is rated at 130 amps...............my Miller 175 is rated at 175 amp". I though both of the welder has the same rate output. here's the miller 175 http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1324c_mil.pdf and here's the lincoln sp175 http://content.lincolnelectric.com/...or/im/IM790.pdf

I'm confused when the guy said miller 175 is rated at 175 amp and lincoln rated 130 amps. thanks for the help guys

One thing to consider is that you might want to get a spool gun for welding alum. and it appears that the spool gun for the newer Lincoln 180's is less expensive than that of the miller 180's. That's if price is the pure consideration. I can't speak for the quality of either.

g33k, that's what i was thinking about too.... but now the big question is are they both put out the same rated output 130 amps. once again thanks the reply

ahh, I just read the specs, the lincoln 175 will do 175 amps, but the recommended output is 130 amps at a 30% duty cycle, which is the same for the 180, except it will go up to 180 amps.

Likewise the miller 180 will do
    135 A at 22.5 VDC, 30% Duty Cycle
    but will put out 180 amps.

Quote Originally Posted by newxs650
    Okay this is what the other guy on the sit said "A friend has a SP175 and is rated at 130 amps...............my Miller 175 is rated at 175 amp". I though both of the welder has the same rate output. here's the miller 175 http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1324c_mil.pdf and here's the lincoln sp175 http://content.lincolnelectric.com/...or/im/IM790.pdf

I'm confused when the guy said miller 175 is rated at 175 amp and lincoln rated 130 amps. thanks for the help guys
    Thats incorrect, its a 175 amp machine.
    If I were you, and I can see that there are budgetary concerns here, Id go for the 180. If you can wait and save a few more pennies, Id get a 210 or 250 size machine. But thats me. I really like my little 175, but I ended up changing the gun out which ran me another 120 bucks or so. Whatever you get, your gonna have fun with it. Dont forget the need for a tank and stuff. You can get a 50 cf co2 tank fairly cheap (compared to say, c25). This topic has been brought up a bunch, so do some searches on the forum. I really think that its like comparing apples to oranges. Heres a good deal on the 180c (continuous voltage adj.):

https://weldingsupply.securesites.com/cgi-bin/spider.pl?K2473-1|||341
    Various Grinders
    Victor Journeyman torch
    200cf Acet. 250cf oxygen
    Lincoln 175 plus/alpha2 gun
    Lincoln v205t tig
    Lincoln 350mp
    Esab 650 plasma
    When you can get up in the morning, Its a good day.
    Live each day like its your last.

I think the Lincoln 180 just came out a while back. I didn't know about it when I bought my SP175+. I don't know about the Miller but the Lincoln 180 sounds like a good deal if you would want a spool gun at some point.

I like my 175 however, since it does what I want. I only use it for mild steel up to 1/4" and it does fine. I use it with straight C02. I doubt I wold ever use the spool gun since I have a TIG welder for alum. and SS.

Good luck.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller Millermatic 252
    Liincoln AC-DC 225
    Victor O-A Set
    High Hopes

gnm, I went ahead and buy the sp175 plus for $585 with cart. how's your weld using straight CO2? thanks all for reply to my thread.

C02 works on the bigger stuff. For light work, C 25 works better for me. With .045 wire, all I use is C02. For my SP 100 with .023, all I use is C25.

Try it and see for your self.

David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Thats a great deal on that welder. Yea, its last years model, but it works really well for as small as it is. Get some c25 (Its good general purpose gas) and go for an 150cf tank. It will fit in the cart perfectly Id go with .030 or .035 wire to start, (I think mine came with a little spool of .030). Think about getting a different gun for it (I had nothing but issues with mine). I use the old gun for aluminum (put the aluminum kit in it) and use the alpha for regular mig welding. Your gonna have a blast..
    Various Grinders
    Victor Journeyman torch
    200cf Acet. 250cf oxygen
    Lincoln 175 plus/alpha2 gun
    Lincoln v205t tig
    Lincoln 350mp
    Esab 650 plasma
    When you can get up in the morning, Its a good day.
    Live each day like its your last.

I would go miller. Both because its a better build machine. But they have the best customer service of any company period. I had a bad o-ring on the shielding gas valve in my 2 day old Miller 210. They told me to take it back to the dealer for a complete new machine. No questions asked. I told them are u nuts. Never had anyone tell me to take back a $2200 welder because of a 15 cent part. So I told just to send me a new o-ring to so I can fix it. They send me a new valve, hoses and regulator just to be shore. Next day air and offered to send a rep out to install if for me. When I got the box, they had a Miller hat, 50 replacement tips and a Deep apologize letter for having problems with my Miller.

They now have a Miller for life Customer.
    Lincoln
    300 Vantage 2008
    300 Commander 1999
    SA250 1999
    SA200 1968

Miller
    Syncrowave 200
    XMT350MPA/S-52E/xr-15
    Xtreme 12vs
    Millermatic 251 w/30A
    Millermatic 251
    Dialarc 250

Hypertherm 1250
    GEKA & Bantom Ironwokers

+1 for Miller. I love my MM 175. The MM 180 is based on the MM 175 - which is a proven design...

gnm, I went ahead and buy the sp175 plus for $585 with cart. how's your weld using straight CO2? thanks all for reply to my thread.

CO2 is just fine for mild steel when you are just a hobby welder as I am. I've found that proper use of the power and feed dials, keeping the heat to the required amount will cut splatter a great deal. You can also get anti-splatter spray which helps to prevent it from sticking.

BTW, that's one nice thing about using a machine with variable power and speed dials such as the SP 175+. You can get just the correct heat and no more.

I also clean my tip about every few minutes and re-coat it with welding jelly. Why not? I don't have a big-mouth boss to tell me to quit wasting time anymore. My last boss was a real

I also like the fact that CO2 is still relatively inexpensive. I can't say it will stay that way since Al Gore is still flapping his lips about its evils while he continues to pay for energy credits, but just now for me, CO2 is good!

FYI, a 20 pound CO2 cylinder is equivalent to a 160 cu.ct. cylinder of C25 in capacity. CO2 weighs .1234 pounds per cu. ft. so therefore, one pound equals around 8 cu. ft. (20 X 8 = 160) I can get a refill for around $23.00 from Airgas. A 160 cu.ft. Argon C02 is about $60 from them.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by gnm109; 04-10-2007 at 03:49 PM.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller Millermatic 252
    Liincoln AC-DC 225
    Victor O-A Set
    High Hopes

Okay this is what the other guy on the sit said "A friend has a SP175 and is rated at 130 amps...............my Miller 175 is rated at 175 amp"....
    Both machines are RATED at 130A. All this means is that this is the common point used to officially calulate input amperages and duty cycles. It is not a "recommended" output, as they are also designed to operate at their maximum outputs, though they will, of course, have a significantly even lower duty cycle up there.