Lincoln ac/dc 300
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Lincoln ac/dc 300

I found a used lincoln ac/dc ideal arc for $500. I think it has ability for HF tig welding. Is it worth buying? Can it be run on a 50amp 220v? I am trying to get a tig setup on a budget. Any suggestions? Thanks for any input.

Re: Lincoln ac/dc 300

Quote Originally Posted by Czopp View Post
    I found a used lincoln ac/dc ideal arc for $500. I think it has ability for HF tig welding. Is it worth buying? Can it be run on a 50amp 220v? I am trying to get a tig setup on a budget. Any suggestions? Thanks for any input.
    Make sure it's a single phase machine. It depends on how much output you want. I have run my Shopmaster on a 50a outlet and it was fine. I was running a wire feeder with .035" hard wire. It was not close to max output and it was fine.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Quote Originally Posted by Czopp View Post
    This tig is probably a transformer welder. You probably won't be able to take it above 150 amps without popping the 50 amp breaker. And if it does not PFC you are going to pop the breaker on surge even at 80 amps.

You call, but try to find out if it was built with the Power Factor Correction capacitors. If not putting them in will be expensive. Even then, a 100 amp service is ideal for a single phase 300 amp transformer tig.

If you get the serial#, your LWS could probably find out if it has PFC.
    "Nothing welded, nothing gained."
    Miller Dynasty700DX, 3 ea. Dynasty350DX, Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250, Hypertherm800

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    Make sure it's a single phase machine. It depends on how much output you want. I have run my Shopmaster on a 50a outlet and it was fine. I was running a wire feeder with .035" hard wire. It was not close to max output and it was fine.
    Did they make those in 3 phase 220 volts? If so, that would make for a nice shop tig.
    "Nothing welded, nothing gained."
    Miller Dynasty700DX, 3 ea. Dynasty350DX, Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250, Hypertherm800