GM 5.3 v8 burns oil.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GM 5.3 v8 burns oil.

Anyone else? '07 sierra, 52k. Dealer installed oil deflector and new valve cover previously, now going to replace pistons and rings.

This is an active fuel management problem. (shuts off 4 cylinders to save fuel)... which incidentally does not save fuel.

Just curious if anyone else has had the problem or had a solution. Replacing pistons at 52k miles without machining the cylinders seems crazy to me...or could it be ok?

Re: GM 5.3 v8 burns oil.

its doable, probably just run a ball hone in the cylinders to knock the glaze off..

It could be valve seals.. Does it smoke when you first start it after its been sitting a while?

sounds like it could be the rings not seating with that few of miles on it...
    Last edited by brucer; 04-10-2012 at 11:00 PM.

brucer, this is all dealer warranty work. I'm not doing it.

I just want to see if anyone else has had to deal with it and how they fared.

I did read on another forum that the dealer is is instructed not to measure cylinders for tolerance, or hone...can't confirm that yet.

One of the guys I worked with bought a 07 Chevy 1500 from the same dealer the same time I bought a new car. He kept saying it burnt oil so they did everything they are doing for you. When all that failed they replaced the motor. The last thing they will do after they all but rebuild the motor is to have you bring it to the dealer every week to have the oil checked by them. If it uses 2 quarts before the next oil change then they will replace the motor.This was common in the 07 Gm trucks. Gm is hoping you get tired of taking it back so they don't have to change out the motor for you.
    Good luck you have a long way to go till they replace the motor.
    Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    Hot Max Spool Gun
    HF 95136 and 60767 Plasma Cutter
    ALPHA TIG 200X
    Lincoln 225 AC
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com

Quote Originally Posted by daddy View Post
    Anyone else? '07 sierra, 52k. Dealer installed oil deflector and new valve cover previously, now going to replace pistons and rings.

This is an active fuel management problem. (shuts off 4 cylinders to save fuel)... which incidentally does not save fuel.

Just curious if anyone else has had the problem or had a solution. Replacing pistons at 52k miles without machining the cylinders seems crazy to me...or could it be ok?
    At what mileage did this start for you? My brother has a 2007 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3. Same truck as you have, just a different name plate. He has 63,000 miles and nothing like that has happened so far (knock wood). How common is this problem? I'll keep it in mind. Thanks guys.

kidtigger24
    They think I’m crazy, but I know better. It is not I who am crazy. It is I who am MAD!

i have an 08' chevy silverado 1500 , 5.3 , 60,000 miles . I thought wtf last oil change. Oil change is 6 quarts = 5 quart jug + 1 quart. I go to pour the old oil into the 5 quart jug......seemed to be maybe 4 quarts at the most. Thot to self , holy sh;t , because the oil filter is tiny , no way theres two quarts in ther...i luv that truk tho. I have 3 chevys , two not running and i'd buy another in a second

send some of the oil to this guy, he can tell you a lot about that engine for about the price of an oil change........

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I was going to say get the oil analyzed by an independent lab. If you are getting cylinder wash from unburned fuel you will have high hydrocarbons in the oil too. GM had an issue way back with there little mid/rear engined 2 liter or so cars. After exhaustive tests it was discovered that they had installed the pistons backwards and they were pumping oil and compression into the crancases and wiping out the mains and rods. Unfortunately to speed them up and go on and replace the engine you might have to pursue state Lemon Law procedures. They will crap or get off the pot when that happens. Used to be a heavy GM line tech and we did a bunch of engines, trans, diffs and major components. It's the nature of the beast, cheapest parts get issues, especially when they are assembled in Brazil and Mexico. Sorry to be a buzz kill.
    Bob
    I'm spending my Kids inheritance, I dont like him that much anyway!!!!!!
    Enuff tools to do the job, enough sense to use em.
    Anybody got a spare set of kidneys? Trade?

The wife has an '04 bowtie with the 5.3. Itll burn half to full quart depending on how far I let it go between changes. It started this if I recall, around the 75k to 80k mile mark. It now has about 130kthe on it. Other than GM electrical bs issues, I'm pleased with the truck.

Have they looked into perhaps a faulty PCV system?
    Hobart EZ-Tig newbie.

After spending way more time than I should have to researching this, I am strongly considering legal action.

Gm has a known problem, with seemingly an unknown solution... Likely a bad design. Replacing the pistons and rings is still a band aid as far as I'm concerned, the pistons and rings weren't bad, it's the active fuel management that is screwing up a good engine. Father in law has one prior to '07 with over 200k on the ticker...

My dilemma now is; if I do wind up with a new engine, will it be any better, or will it just last till my warranty is over...pretty frustrated right now.

This will solve your problems...

Get a Ford.

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

If they replace the motor under warranty then the warranty on the new motor is only good till the truck warranty runs out.

Depending on when you bought it in 2007, you had a 5 year OR 100k mile warranty so your time is almost up in years.

My warranty on my GM car ran out in February 2012 I had 101k on it. The guy at works warranty ran out the same time on his truck at 68K and the new motor is starting to use oil and GM dealer won't do anything for him.

Good luck with your GM dealer.
    Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    Hot Max Spool Gun
    HF 95136 and 60767 Plasma Cutter
    ALPHA TIG 200X
    Lincoln 225 AC
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com

I'm not sure how the active fuel management would cause oil burning issues. I'm assuming it's a simple system that merely cuts ignition and fuel to 4 cylinders.
    Hobart EZ-Tig newbie.

If your warranty's not out, I say, "run er' till she blows". THEN its GM's problem...

Good luck
    a.k.a ChuckE2009 on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    This will solve your problems...

Get a Ford.

...zap!
    I seem to remember some posts around here about a certain someone who bought a 81 Chevy Malibu not to long ago or was I mistaken?

kiditgger24
    They think I’m crazy, but I know better. It is not I who am crazy. It is I who am MAD!

My uncle bought a avalanche brand new had 12k on the ticker and started doing the same thing so they gave him one hell of a deal on another brand new one and it smoked the rings in 12k again. Now he owns a 2013 ford f150 Eco boost. Lol get away from Chevy and gm they are very problematic.
    1973 Lincoln SA 200, Already replaced shunt coils, Idle board (SOLD)
    1984 Miller Dialarc 250HF, Miller water cooler, 250 AMP water cooled torch, you know the worx.

Don't be too quick to jump ship. A patient of mine bought two econoboost trucks for his business. He is not happy, but cannot afford to spend any more money at the present time. He sent me several threads. Below is one:
    http://fordecoboostforum.com/index.p...oost-problems/

The engine you have is one I considered, but one of the mags, like R&T, did a fairly long-term test and showed no positive results. Same story with the hybrid truck. Sometimes those longer-term problems are not discovered until it is a major problem for the owner.

I hope you get a better solution. You may poke around here for more info:
    www.gminsidenews.com
    www.gmfullsize.com
    TxDoc's Photos

Lincoln SP175 Plus
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln 250 LX Spool Gun
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Hypertherm 600
    KMG 2x72 Belt Grinder
    Baldor 812RE Grinder

Quote Originally Posted by TxDoc View Post
    Don't be too quick to jump ship. A patient of mine bought two econoboost trucks for his business. He is not happy, but cannot afford to spend any more money at the present time. He sent me several threads. Below is one:
    http://fordecoboostforum.com/index.p...oost-problems/

The engine you have is one I considered, but one of the mags, like R&T, did a fairly long-term test and showed no positive results. Same story with the hybrid truck. Sometimes those longer-term problems are not discovered until it is a major problem for the owner.

I hope you get a better solution. You may poke around here for more info:
    www.gminsidenews.com
    www.gmfullsize.com
    I'm not jumping ship I never had to, I have always liked ford over chevy or gm. That's not to say that chevy or gm doesn't produce a quality vehicle, but when you spend upwards of 50k on a brand new truck and 12,000 miles later the rings are smoked out, there is something to be concerned about in a quality aspect. Now the dealership as well as GM both got together to try to rectify the problem and sold him a brand new one again only this time gave him a HUGE deal on one, basically they paid his off and he bought a new one for a little over 15 grand. 12,000 miles later same problem as before and it was also leaking oil badly. So he traded it in towards a brand new ecoboost f150 ( he never owned a ford before this ) and he absolutely loves that truck. He has had his fair share of new trucks from all brands, everything from dodge to hummer with the exception of owning a ford. ( he always gave me **** for buying fords ) Now I'm not trying to jump on the band wagon or doing any brand bashing but these two separate instances are not the only 2 that I have heard about, we had company vehicles at work from chevy that all had the 5.3 v8 in them and they have all been a major headache they were in the shop more than going down the road. These are just my closest personal experiences with those trucks take it for what its worth but even coming from me I have probably the most documented problem plagued engine ever built and I love it. I have had my fair share of repairs to do to it but I love that truck and that motor. ( 6.0l Powerstroke ) It's all about what you want and what you like. And I'll leave you with this every vehicle every make all of them have their problems, thats what research is for go into the situation being an educated buyer and pick your poison.
    1984 Miller Dialarc 250HF, Miller water cooler, 250 AMP water cooled torch, you know the worx.

also to add to the first forum you posted about the problems with the ecoboost most of the problems seemed to be trans programing issues. first of all - all of the newer vehicles on the road have a "learning curve" especially during the break in period this learning curve allows the pcm to adjust to how you drive the vehicle and sets the programing ie; shift points accordingly. also if there is a problem with the coil packs it will be taken care of soon by ford and the problems with that will be addressed in the factory for new vehicles coming off the line as to avoid warranty claims. the one post that got me was someone said that it misses when lugging it in 6th gear towing a load. first off if your towing a heavy enough load to cause your engine to lug down you should be in tow/haul mode or turn overdrive off as this will cause the motor to lug down and trans to start slipping causing a "miss feeling" or it could simply be boost lag. I would have to guess boost lag as most of the people on there probably never owned a turbo vehicle before so were unaware of the differences in the driveability between a natrualy asperated engine versus a turbo charged engine. also one last thing i know these engines are a "new" technology and personally i would never buy the first year of a new technology vehicle i always wait a year or two for the bugs to get mostly worked out. but thats just me.
    Last edited by Tuscany; 04-12-2012 at 05:06 AM.

My buddy has an ecoboost and he's not all that happ with the mpg's he's getting. And he doesn't tow and most of his driving is rural, 55-65mph.

If you get a new ford, get the 5.0 instead of the ecoboost, IMO.

As for the chevy 5.3...it's been around a long while. My old man had a 99 Sierra with the 5.3 and it was fantastic. Albeit underpowered compared to pretty much any other truck on the market without paying an arm and a leg for the higher power v8 for the half-ton.

Go cummins, don't look back
    Hobart EZ-Tig newbie.

My father has a 2009 silverado 5.3 and it has seen more than its fair share of shop time. I don't think it's burning any oil but it's always got one thing or another turning the CEL on. Even left him stranded on the side of the road once when the fuel pressure regulator failed. It can't have more than 30k on it. GM went to hell a long time ago..

Obligatory..

I hate the 2 GM's I own but one was free and the other was cheap. The free one has 225k on it and only because it is no longer a GM it is a NAPA The truck that was cheap has cost me more in the 9 months that I have owned it than my Ford did in the 10 years I had it
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

A buddy had a ford that used oil. Ford told him it was normal to use a quart every 500 miles. Their is good and bad every thing. Me and my dad had almost same ford cars mine has over 300000 his will be luckey to go 75000. I dont know why but i have saw more fords that were lemons but I have been inprest by some fords on their longjevity. If one was better every one would be driveing it. I was talking to a guy he told me he did not have good luck with GMs but he was driveing a s10 and his last pickup was a s10.

Well, scheduled to have pistons and rings replaced on monday.

Also gave the attorney the go-ahead to pursue it. I have never filed suit for anything, but I feel I have to protect my investment. I have worked very hard for many years to be able to buy a new truck, and this is baloney as far as I'm concerned.

Zap and Tozzi, and anyone else who mentioned Ford, I have considered it. The gov't bailout really bummed me out, and I was very impressed with Ford for not taking it. I have preferred GM over the years, but they sure as hell aren't what they used to be.

The problems with the ecoboost kind of puts a damper on that option though. I had a chance to drive one of those last summer, and they are very strong. It was the first thing I thought of when I thought Ford. Getting ahead of myself anyhow...

The best case is for the truck to be fixed properly, and for me to get my money's worth out of it. The problem is it may take another 30 to 50k for the new rings to get stuck in the pistons again...