Stops and Starts
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Stops and Starts

I have CWB smaw tests coming this week and i can't seem to get my stops and starts to blend together.
    They are either lumped up like i am going to slow or i miss the stop a little bit and have not enough fill.

Does anyone have any tricks of the trade to share on this issue?
    I have seen them blended so well that you have to really look to see them.
    By the way .....this is in the vert position as i have flat and horizontal tickets and my overhead look just fine

Thanks
    James
    Last edited by Winter_Freak; 04-29-2007 at 06:14 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, ask more questions.
    Lots of cool tools and stuff.
    CWB SMAW 4 positions
    FCAW 4 positions

Re: Stops and Starts

Strike up an inch in front of the crater you left then quickly track back into the crater and fill it. You then proceed with your weld.
    The trick of course is to set the end of your electrode to fill the crater without depositing weld metal on top of your old bead. Striking up ahead of your bead allows the rod to heat up a bit before you start depositing metal where it is important.
    I would do stop starts every inch along your practice piece until they look seamless. Don't go on with practicing your coupons until you can do it properly. I study my crater and have my rod ready to move to a specific place before I nod down. It does not take too many feet of practice if you do a restart every inch.
    That stop start is one of the key locations of failure on the test.

Thanks Lotech..... i have been practicing all weekend and i can get some to look good .......just not consistant......I will the the inch method in school on Monday
    James
    If at first you don't succeed, ask more questions.
    Lots of cool tools and stuff.
    CWB SMAW 4 positions
    FCAW 4 positions

james, are you from pictou, nova scotia? I'm from antigonish. small world eh?
    Charles

Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Red Flames BWE
    Lincoln sp-135t

When you come back to fill your crater, don't oscillate the electrode, but rather hold it there until the arc fully establishes, and then begin moving. If you try to oscillate the torch once you backtrack to that crater, the arc isn't at it's hottest point, and the base metal is still comparatively school, so you're more apt to having a slag inclusion, or to spread out any porosity there may be.