Cold metal saw - should I buy it?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Cold metal saw - should I buy it?

Hello all,

since my old abrasive cut saw broke I am searching for a replacement and I have found this cold saw for 250€.

http://www.bolha.com/obdelava-kovine...glas1279571918

I talked to seller and this cold saw is custom made from avtomotive parts, it has worm gear, 4 speeds. For that price i would get saw as you can see on link above (with stand), two new HSS saw blades D250mm, additional unnused worm gear with 4 speeds and emulsion concentrate. It has 3-phase 1kW motor.

The saw is about 10 years old and it was used as afternoon busines for making fences so i guess it was not used that much. He is selling it because he bought a new band saw.

What do sou think? Should I buy it?

Re: Cold metal saw - should I buy it?

interesting build, appears to be good quality, how available is that power to you?
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport plus w/ spoolmate 100
    victor 315c oxy/(act and prop)
    Miller digital elite
    milwaukee power tools

Re: Cold metal saw - should I buy it?

how available is that power to you?
    I have 3-phase power in my workshop. Seller is also selling smaller portable 1 phase cold saw http://www.bolha.com/obdelava-kovine...glas1279571897 but I preffer one with more power and larger saw blade.

Re: Cold metal saw - i bought it

Hi all,

i have bought cold saw that in mentioned above and even completed my first project with that saw and all I can tell is that it is great! I am sorry for every € that i had spent for those crapy Made in China abrasive saws. No more dust, hot pieces, deburing ... Despite that coldsaw is home made i works great!

Here are the pictures if anyone is interested:

I also got two new blades, worth 80€ each and extra gearbox. I was told that it is form a scooter. I opened it i found out that it has no worm gear like most of saws but it has ring gear and pinion. On pinion it has 4 four speed gearbox. http://toyheadauto.com/PerformancePa...ing_Pinion.jpg

Actually I have most of parts for building another cold saw, just need motor, coolant pump and frame.

Here is my first project with new cold saw, sheet metal storage rack. I dont have build pictures because my phone battery was to empty to take pictures (that hapens a lot of times ) and I was so into the building I did't want to stop to get a charger!

Cheers!

PS.: I made a mistake buying soft rubber wheels. I can barrely move it. I should buy hard rubber wheels.
    Last edited by T_Eclipse; 05-08-2012 at 12:09 PM.