swing out spare tire rack help
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

swing out spare tire rack help

Hey all new here
    I'm building a spare tire rack for my f250 and had a question. I'm using 2" 288 wall square tubing 6 foot long and not sure how to weld the spindle to the horizontal bar to support the weight of the steel and a 35" tire and rim. Any advise would be appreciated
    thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: swing out spare tire rack help

first and foremost, what are the tools at your disposal for this project?

You'll want some gussets no matter what you're using, but if the tools you're using aren't up for the job it's a moot point.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

Lincoln 220 mig welder,220 ac/dc arc welder,thermal dynamics plasma cutter, grinders of all types, chop saws, band saw, cutoff saws etc
    Dang got too much in my shop at home lol
    Hiw would you arrange gussets and what would they look like?
    If i cant get this to carry the load ill use bullet ramp hinges and hinge it back instead of swing out
    Thanks

After taking a second look at your picture, and doing some research. I'm going to resind the gussets comment.

The spindle it'self should be long enought to pass through the base tub (bumper). weld both ends of the spindle to the tube(top and bottum of bumper). Cope your swing arm to fit around the housing and weld to fit. should be good to go with that.

Your arm "should" be secured while you're moving and that should eliminate movement/extra load from the spindle end while you're moving. the welds/spindle should support the weight of the tire and arm while it's open.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210

I'm not sure if you'll need to have the races/ungreased bearings installed prior to welding or not. as the welding could cause the housing tube to distort.

Hobart Handler 210

This guy's got a no muss no fuss how to on it.

http://www.wildyoats.com/swing_out_tire_carrier.htm

Hobart Handler 210

Thank you for all your help. Will that arm really be strong enough on the hub? It seems like a lot of weight for minimal contact of metal. I also ordered some heavy duty trailer ramp hinges yesterday. If i feel it will be stronger with those ill weld one on either side and fold back the tire carrier instead of swing out. I guess ill have to sell back on Epay whatever i dont use lol, but i want it right
    Thanks

honestly. All it took was a google image search to fine what you're trying to do. You're not the first one to do a swing out rack. If that system didn't work, people wouldn't use it. that simple. if you fully weld that arm to the hub, than with it coped you've got more than 8" of weld. thats more than some tow shackels have.

Hobart Handler 210