80 AMP Inverter Arc Welder #91110
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

80 AMP Inverter Arc Welder #91110

Does anyone have one of these or had one or have any experience with one? Are they worth the time, effort or money? Weld quality, ease of use etc. Any input or info would be of great help. Thanks!
    A few of my toys !

LinuxMint
    SolydX
    Crunchbang
    Makulu

Miller Roughneck 2E
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    HTP MTS 160
    Chicago Electric 80amp Inverter
    Victor O/A

Re: 80 AMP Inverter Arc Welder #91110

Don't know about the machine you ask about but . . . what are your plans for it? With the list of equip you have I'm guessing it will be a gift for someone who wants to learn stick? Something for when you need lightweight portability?

Mainly light weight portability. Secoundly just another toy to play with, ha ha. What i have already fills the bill of tasks of what i come across. I know it will be limited to light thin materials with its minimal power input and amp output so I know that bridge building is definitely out of the question. I guess the real answer would be just another toy to tinker around with. Thanks for any input.
    A few of my toys !

LinuxMint
    SolydX
    Crunchbang
    Makulu

Miller Roughneck 2E
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    HTP MTS 160
    Victor O/A

I don't have it, but a friend of mine does and likes it. He does a lot of sheet metal and light frame work, and is trying to learn TIG with the thing. He does good stick work with it.

He doesn't run lo-hy, but the output is in the ballpark for 3/32 7018 (the low side, but worth a try). He runs mostly 6011 and 6013. Does real nice withboth of them in 3/32.

Ok, thanks for the input guys. Appreciate the help.
    A few of my toys !

LinuxMint
    SolydX
    Crunchbang
    Makulu

Miller Roughneck 2E
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    HTP MTS 160
    Victor O/A

I saw that 80 amp inverter arc welder too while wandering the isles the other day. Looked very convenient and portable....think it only weighs 8-10 lbs or so. Any idea what the max thickness it can handle?

Quote Originally Posted by walker944
    I saw that 80 amp inverter arc welder too while wandering the isles the other day. Looked very convenient and portable....think it only weighs 8-10 lbs or so. Any idea what the max thickness it can handle?
    depends on what you mean by handle?
    single pass? ~1/8"
    multiple passes? as thick as you want, just bevel and fill.
    a SMAW machine's limit is in the diameter/type of rod it can burn.

Never tried it, but 80amps will weld 6010 on 1/4"-5/16"+ material in the flat position just fine. But barely.

If it's light, reliable and cheap, i'd buy it!

I've read a lot of good reviews on that when I was choosing a small portable stick welder; however, I ended up going with a Lincoln Invertec V100-S because of the extra 20 amps.

That's a good reason to buy up. The extra heat would come in handy. What did the Lincoln v100-S run you? The HF is about $150, if I recall.

The V100-S ended up costing me 250 new.

I bought one of these after I burned up an HF Arc-120 doing a repair job on a stainless steel steam table. If I would have had this little bugger from the beginning, the job (which included learning how to stick weld stainless on the fly) would have been a lot easier and faster.

I bought mine when it was on sale plus used a 20% off coupon, so I ended up coming in under $100 (including tax). Yeah, you ain't gonna use it to build any bridges, but when it's used for what the unit is meant for, it's a decent one.

Dave
    Last edited by stroker_dave; 06-01-2007 at 02:44 PM.

Keep us posted on how you like it.

stroker_dave, how long have you had yours? Just checking for reliablity!

Quote Originally Posted by Zobman
    stroker_dave, how long have you had yours? Just checking for reliablity!
    I burned up that Arc-120 in November and waited a few weeks before I bought the inverter welder, so I've probably had it for around 6 months now. I haven't had that many welding projects to do since, but I did use it right after I bought it to make new legs for my outdoor fire pit (the old ones rusted and rotted off and I didn't use my MIG welder just so I could play with the HF stick machine).

I just went out last week and burned a few rods with it just to get in some welding and it worked like a charm.

Dave

I know this is an old thread, but I just picked one of these little guys up and I'm extremely happy with it. For what it's designed for — hobbyist level, thin material — it works great! I'm using the 1/16" 6013 rods and the arc is steady, very little spatter, doesn't get stuck often and it weighs 8, that's right 8, pounds! It was only $115 with a 2-year no-questions-asked warranty. I bought it mainly for art projects, some minor stuff on my motorcycle (brackets, tube caps, etc.) and whatever else I can dream up. For the price, and with the warranty it comes with, I would highly recommend this little spitfire.

I bought one too about two weeks ago. Nice little machine. I bought the 3/32 6011 rods.

I have had one for almost 4 months now... I love it, its great for really light stuff/nothing structural and you can use it just about anywhere (I usually use 1/16 and 3/32 7014 rods)... it also works great with 6011 and 6013 of the same diameters.

i also have a tig torch setup for it and it holds a decent arc for scratch start tig, but the consumable life is pretty poor. I know welderShane has the same setup (he helped me get mine going: http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...+trailer+stand)

Id say you cant go wrong buying one, i have made enough money with mine to buy a couple more of them... and if you get the 2 year 90 day warranty, they will replace it no questions asked if something happens to it.
    Last edited by Silverado; 01-27-2010 at 02:24 PM.

I also have one of the toaster/welders. Bought when I was in Cal.a couple of yrs ago. The thing works great for small stuff. Have welded1/4 inch with it. It is a novelty to show my buddies.
    I used to take it along on camping trips because I had a home made power boat loader and you have to be ready to repair if something breaks.

I have one that I use very rarely. Pretty much only when I feel I am getting out of practice doing SMAW. I can tell you that it works night and day better than the 115v Clarke 130E arc box. It starts much easier being DC. The thickest I have done with it is 1/8" steel using 3/32" 6013 rod.
    If you decide to buy one I would watch ebay. I got mine used for $41 shipped to my door and it looked like new with the ground lead and stick lead. You can pick up a WP-9 TIG torch with a gas valve and an argon regulator for next to nothing and TIG weld mild and stainless.

They are on sale now at my local store for $15 off ($135 instead of $150). Do they ever go on sale for less?

At one time they went as low as $119 internet price. I copied the sale ad from the internet and the local store honored the price. Try and see if you can find a 20% off coupon to add to the sale price if they let you use it. That would make it $108.
    A few of my toys !

LinuxMint
    SolydX
    Crunchbang
    Makulu

Miller Roughneck 2E
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    HTP MTS 160
    Victor O/A

They have $119 sale price at retail stores frequently. I am still waiting on 40-50% sale on it. have waited for years!

They are on sale in retail stores until May27th for $119.95. You can then use one of the 20% off coupons from the NRA (IIRC, www.harborfreightusa.com/1stfreedom) to get it down to $96 plus tax.

Connect two in parallel for twice the amperage output.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/Paralleling.pdf