Anyone use Carhartt Flame Resistant clothing?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone use Carhartt Flame Resistant clothing?

Just wondering how it holds up to the occasional sparks/welding splatter/grinder sparks. I know leathers are preferred and thats what I use most of the time. Just wondering how well these FR shirts would hold up.

http://dungarees.net/category_Carhar...6-0-1-0-0.html

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/s...uickView=false

Re: Anyone use Carhartt Flame Resistant clothing?

Don’t, unless you have to. They cost a lot and the sparks burn the shirts up quick. I got a Rosco lined winter coat for $200.00. One day of welding it was junk.
    Classic 1D 200
    SAE 300
    86 SA 200
    Hyperthem 45
    Jancy Mag Force
    O/A Victor-Goss
    Cable's remote
    2-12" Mathey Dearman bevelers
    LN 25
    Miller Auto Set 211
    Wendy's Pancake/Jackson Pipeliner
    New Holland LS 180
    Great story man....tell it again!

The company i work for bought myself and one other welder 6 pair of the FRB13 pants - that was two years ago - i also wear at home to weld in and work - holding up pretty good - begining to show wear though -

FR clothing provides a split second of protection in a flash fire and doesn't stick to you after that.

For welding it will get holes burned all in it like anything else, wear it under your sleeves and and it will last just fine

I wear FR clothing every day all day for my paycheck job. I have welded overhead on siht with a daily work shirt on. Looked really bad when I was done. But after having it cleaned you can hardly tell. I swear by em.
    We use Bulwark brand.
    Hammer
    File
    Big Hammer
    ------------------------------
    Here, let me Google that for you...

Several winter's ago I rebuilt a logging trailer converted to a muck truck, the owner was headed south for the cleanup efforts after hurricane Katrina hit. I wore a set of Carhart bibbs with a carhart coat. Only damage was right down the middle where sparks and splatter seemed to hit the most. A few holes here and there but all in all they held up well.
    A full leather top probably should have been used but what ya going to do when the job is a calling.

Good luck
    God speed

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

FWIW I exclusively wear carhartt double duck dungarees under my coveralls and before i was issues coveralls it was all i wore. the best pants money can buy IMHO, but they certainly dont hold up to stainless pickling worth a ****. that being said, other than seriously lighting yourself up, they will hold up to nearly anything in my experience.... i dont know that id buy their shirts for welding use though. I've had a good experience with CarbonX material though...

ive had my eye on a carhartt at my local farm store nearly $200. I try to drop in every week because the price drop to nearly nothing in spring. It was $95 last week, i missed my op..because today they wer gone , i was pissed. Because of this thread , i got the idea to use the search words " FR jacket XL " on ebay < got 165 hits on some bad *** welding jackets starting around $30 -40-50 bux with shipping....i think ther was one pretty nice bulwark like lamename metioned for cheap and some high dollar ones also.....pretty frikn' cool miller ther to , but no liner i think
    thermal arc 252i - millermatic 350P - alphatig 200 gen4 - Hypertherm 1250 G3

I just checked tags..my bibs are Carhart FR. Jeans are Bulwark. Shirts are Workrite. Old ones are Bulwark. Light jacket is Bulwark, heavy jacket is Salisbury. I think I'm gonna put it all on and do some campfire tricks.
    Hammer
    File
    Big Hammer
    ------------------------------
    Here, let me Google that for you...

Is there a spray on flame retardant I can get to protect my clothes? I thought the the FR stuf had a chemical in it to retard the sparks, if so , where can I get some? Maybee the dry cleaner has it? Ive caught on fire before from grinding and messed up my favorite DEAN guitar hoodie and also caught the sage on fire a couple times but being a novice weldor, I havnt had to do overhead welding so no weld fires unless you count cutting with OA torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    Is there a spray on flame retardant I can get to protect my clothes? I thought the the FR stuf had a chemical in it to retard the sparks, if so , where can I get some? Maybee the dry cleaner has it? Ive caught on fire before from grinding and messed up my favorite DEAN guitar hoodie and also caught the sage on fire a couple times but being a novice weldor, I havnt had to do overhead welding so no weld fires unless you count cutting with OA torch.

i wouldnt say its like some kind of spray on miracle stainmaster or something...its more like a real DENSE heavier tight woven cotton or something.. after seeing the carharts , it kinda of made my dickies jackets seem kindof wimpy...maybe kind of like pulling up to your freinds rigged out duallies in your mini-truck
    thermal arc 252i - millermatic 350P - alphatig 200 gen4 - Hypertherm 1250 G3

Just pick up one of those flame retardant seafoam green cotton jackets from Princess auto. Cost about 35 bucks, lighter than leather, cheaper than Carhartt flame retardant stuff.

I used to go through 2 or 3 standard black Carhartt Bib Overalls a year, sometimes more - Burn HUGE holes in them and reduce them to rags...

Company started buying me the Carhartt FR Bib Overalls - I am still using the same 2 Brown ones and one of the blue ones from back in 2010. Would still be using the 2nd blue one if the cleaners hadn't "Lost" it. I don't care for the zippers down the side of the leg much as I seem to end up with the zippers under my knees, but I can easily see the cost savings by switching to the FR bibs from the standard Cotton Duck bibs.

I use leather cape sleeves and much as I can but I regularly trash my cheap-o denim work shirts.

Your mileage may vary.
    Later,
    Jason

Academy played with my emotions today. They had a few FR Carhartt bibs on clearance. I found 3 my size, strolled up to the front desk.. full price. Someone accidentally put ~15 of them on the clearance rack and they weren't on sale. Oh well, I bought 2 regular overalls for 19.88 each. They had the duck work pants for 19 as well!
    Miller: 200dx, Bobcat 225, Passport, Powermax 45, Milwaukee: Dry Saw, MagDrill, grinders

For the price of them I wont be buying them. I will continue to wear leathers over my Tozzi Welding t-shirts.
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

Quote Originally Posted by Huckxc View Post
    Don’t, unless you have to. They cost a lot and the sparks burn the shirts up quick. I got a Rosco lined winter coat for $200.00. One day of welding it was junk.

That coat was Lapco not Rosco.
    Classic 1D 200
    SAE 300
    86 SA 200
    Hyperthem 45
    Jancy Mag Force
    O/A Victor-Goss
    Cable's remote
    2-12" Mathey Dearman bevelers
    LN 25
    Miller Auto Set 211
    Wendy's Pancake/Jackson Pipeliner
    New Holland LS 180
    Great story man....tell it again!

I use Carhartt, Bulwark and Lapco day in and day out. I work on offshore platforms in Alaska and they all last well over a year. If buying Carhartt stay away from their thin shirts they dont last very long. While welding the shirts do get burnt and filled with holes and ive never had one catch fire.

I have a flame resistant clothes which is most flexible and also protect for fire .

FR clothing is not designed to be spark resistant, it's for flash fires in refineries or gas processing facilities. Sparks go right thru it; you're better off putting some heavy starch on your shirts.

It also helps to starch them.
    John

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Just for general FYI;

"Flame resistant
    A material that burns slowly or self-extinguishes and will not fuel a fire. FR materials push oxygen away, starving the flame. TECGEN® garments are inherently flame resistant, meaning that the fabric does not need a chemical treatment applied to meet FR standards."

http://industrial.tecgen.com/flame-r...hing-glossary/

Of course TECGEN is obviously pushing their own product.

I always perceived flame resistant to mean it wouldn't support a flame on it's own. Put flame to it, yes it will burn. Take the flame away and it goes out or smolders only.
    Last edited by Sandy; 11-09-2016 at 01:47 AM.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

posted to wrong topic
    Last edited by William McCormick; 11-13-2016 at 12:19 PM.
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

There are a LOT of misconceptions regarding FR clothes. The number one and possibly deadly mistake is interchangeably talking about FR (Flame Resistant) and AR (Arc Rated) . All AR clothing is FR but FR is not necessarily AR. A lot of people don't even know the difference. The other big thing a lot don't really understand is FR clothes that are Inherently FR vs Treated FR. (Ex: leather is inherently FR, yeah I know it's not really clothing but you get the idea). Regardless of treated or inherent, FR or AR, if you constantly expose the same article of material to sparks & spatter it's going to char through eventually, but it won't support combustion burning.

A lot of your FR clothes are just natural fiber materials soaked in Borax solution (treated FR). Eventually it does wash out and loose it's supressing ability to combustion. Also, NEVER use any softener products on your work clothes, you might as well soak them in gasoline, bad stuff. Softener products (epically liquid softener) can make regular mateial burn 5-10x faster, synthetics are worst but even heavy duck cloth it makes flamable.

The easiest thing is wear natural fiber and soak it in borax solution and or heavy starch stuff, you are doing the same thing really, except the Borax penetrates the fibers, starching lays on top and is less comfortable.

Or just wear leathers and don't worry about it.
    Last edited by xryan; 11-13-2016 at 07:33 PM.
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Quote Originally Posted by xryan View Post
    There are a LOT of misconceptions regarding FR clothes. The number one and possibly deadly mistake is interchangeably talking about FR (Flame Resistant) and AR (Arc Rated) . All AR clothing is FR but FR is not necessarily AR. A lot of people don't even know the difference. The other big thing a lot don't really understand is FR clothes that are Inherently FR vs Treated FR. (Ex: leather is inherently FR, yeah I know it's not really clothing but you get the idea). Regardless of treated or inherent, FR or AR, of you constantly expose the same article of material to sparks & spatter it's going to char, but you won't support combustion.

A lot of your FR clothes are just natural fiber materials soaked in Borax solution (treated FR). Eventually it does wash out and loose it's supressing ability to combustion. Also, NEVER use any softener products on your work clothes, you might as well soak them in gasoline, bad stuff. Softener products (epically liquid softener) can make regular mateial burn 5-10x faster, synthetics are worst but even heavy duck cloth it makes flamable.

The easiest thing is wear natural fiber and soak it in borax solution and or heavy starch stuff, you are doing the same thing really, except the Borax penetrates the fibers, starching lays on top and is less comfortable.

Or just wear leathers and don't worry about it.
    So we're do you get Borax Solution? Is just Borax Soap.
    John

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

There are a few different recipies, basically you mix it all up with water, soak then hang dry. You actually want Borax AND boric acid to make the easiest FR solution. Borax is usually in the detergent isle in any store "20 Mule Team" in a 5 lb cereal size paper box. Boric acid is in the pesticide isle, that's what roach killer is. Usually a 1lb bottle with a pour spout like the bottle chalk refill for your carpenter snap line.. Yes they are actually different, each one is made from a different mineral.

Other formulas are an Alum solution or Ammonium Chloride & Ammonium Phosphate solution. But I don't know what it would be readily available at grocery store as.

These minerals and chemicals are basically the same thing that any commercially treated FR garments are, just proprietary recipes with some unicorn poo.

On the flip side if you want good fires and explosive materials you need Sodium Phosphate also known as stump remover add some charcoal and sulfur powder (should by by the lime in garden section or labeled as an antifungal by the pesticides). Definitely DON'T soak your clothes in that mixture (it's gunpowder)

Of the many different "home" recipes, I trust this one the most because of the source, the National Fire Protection Association, aka NFPA. They've the guys that pretty much set all the standards for playing with fire.

9 oz Borax Powder; 4 oz Boric Acid; 1 gallon of water . Mix thoroughly and spray on or
    dip. Solution should drip off material. Hang to dry.

Do a quick Google, you can find other recipes, a lot of theater people use them for costumes and set materials...
    Last edited by xryan; 11-13-2016 at 08:35 PM.
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask