Anyone use Carhartt Flame Resistant clothing? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Anyone use Carhartt Flame Resistant clothing?

Quote Originally Posted by lamename View Post
    I wear FR clothing every day all day for my paycheck job. I have welded overhead on siht with a daily work shirt on. Looked really bad when I was done. But after having it cleaned you can hardly tell. I swear by em.
    We use Bulwark brand.
    It ready depends on the thickness. FR doesn't really say a lot about the actual material itself, other than it's FR. I've been issued FR coveralls that hold up pretty good to the occasional sparks. But I've had helpers burn through them while grinding. I bought some Carhart FR shirts that just feel like regular cotton when the weather started to warm up so I didn't have to wear the coveralls. Paid over $80 each. All the pipe welding I did was tig, so it would have been fine, but then had to do a few supports with stick, and burnt holes through both at the same time (one LS tshirt and one button up shirt over that). I was kind of pissed about it.

Basically FR has absolutely nothing to do with welding. It's specifically to protect against flash fires, that's it. Most welding clothing would be considered FR, but not the other way around.

A constant stream of grinder sparks can bring out the weak spots in a lot of clothing.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Have heard not to get Chlorox on Cotton FR clothing, result is burns from chemical reaction.

Good info on the FR ratings xryan. Also note that you can not use DEET on FR materials, or wash them with clothing contaminated with DEET. I don't know the full extent of the effects of it, just what we were warned about.
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Miller CP300
    Miller CP200
    Lincoln Idealarc 250/250
    Smith torch
    Lagun FTV-2
    Kent 13x40 TRL lathe
    Bunch of other metal cutting tools

Had my carhartt welding pants catch on fire yesterday. I was doing some might welding and I felt my ankle start to get warm. Once I finished my weld that's when I noticed I was on fire they burn pretty quickly it was an actual fire not just smoldering.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gmmandan; 12-03-2016 at 10:16 AM.
    Vantage 300 kubota ,miller 304 xmt ,lincoln ln 25 pro , ranger 305 G, plenty of other tools of the trade to make the sparks fly.

the best way.. this was told by the pipeliner... wear 100% cotton t-shirt, don't skimp on the cost get the good stuff. for shirt, I prefers carhart duck cotton (rip stop cotton), they about 40 bucks a shirt.
    here what you can do with shirt: either take to good dry cleaner and request heavy starched or make you own solution of starch, spray on and ironed it . it will makes sparks fly off and very little burn thru.

The bottom of those jeans leg is frayed, that's why you caught on fire. Your pants are too long, you're stepping on the ends with your heel and wearing them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    Is there a spray on flame retardant I can get to protect my clothes?
    They used to soak flammable material with Sodium Silicate (Water Glass) to make it fire resistant. I've done it and it works pretty well but I don't know how well it would stand up to welding or if it's safe to wear all day. But FYI, they used to used to coat eggs with the same stuff and it was supposed to make them able store for a long time without refrigeration so I suppose it's edible but YMMV. I used to buy Sodium Silicate in quart size jars in the local drug store. I don't recall the price but it was cheap.

FYI NEVER wear synthetic material when dealing with fire. Any spark or flame will make it melt and STICK to your skin. Ask me how I know :-(

Hmm, I just recalled, I have a fire blanket too. It's in a wall mounted box with an open front to that you can grab it and pull it out without delay to open it. The instructions say to use it to cover someone to smother a fire so it must be fire proof. It appears to be wool but I don't know for sure. I don't know if it's treated or not. I'll get it out and see if I can find out any more about it. If I find further info, I'll post it here but it will probably take a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaJoe View Post
    They used to soak flammable material with Sodium Silicate (Water Glass) to make it fire resistant. I've done it and it works pretty well but I don't know how well it would stand up to welding or if it's safe to wear all day. But FYI, they used to used to coat eggs with the same stuff and it was supposed to make them able store for a long time without refrigeration so I suppose it's edible but YMMV. I used to buy Sodium Silicate in quart size jars in the local drug store. I don't recall the price but it was cheap.

FYI NEVER wear synthetic material when dealing with fire. Any spark or flame will make it melt and STICK to your skin. Ask me how I know :-(

Hmm, I just recalled, I have a fire blanket too. It's in a wall mounted box with an open front to that you can grab it and pull it out without delay to open it. The instructions say to use it to cover someone to smother a fire so it must be fire proof. It appears to be wool but I don't know for sure. I don't know if it's treated or not. I'll get it out and see if I can find out any more about it. If I find further info, I'll post it here but it will probably take a couple of days.
    Sodium silicate is about $25 a quart here and only 1 drug store has it as far as I know. I'm sure more places have it locally but just the small mom and pop rx store here that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael ray View Post
    Sodium silicate is about $25 a quart here .

Times have changed! I think I used to pay about $1.49 in the late 1960s! FWIW a lot of that kind of thing is a byproduct of manufacture of other things and when the main item goes out of use, the byproducts get very expensive.

PS I just did a Google search and the first site that I found charges $27.95 for a gallon bucket of it. <https://www.lehmans.com/product/water-glass-liquid-sodium-silicate/animal-care>. I didn't check any other sites.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaJoe View Post
    Times have changed! I think I used to pay about $1.49 in the late 1960s! FWIW a lot of that kind of thing is a byproduct of manufacture of other things and when the main item goes out of use, the byproducts get very expensive.

PS I just did a Google search and the first site that I found charges $27.95 for a gallon bucket of it. <https://www.lehmans.com/product/water-glass-liquid-sodium-silicate/animal-care>. I didn't check any other sites.
    I know...diesel and kerosene are good examples of byproducts costing more..but with the popularity of daily driver diesels now days it's not surprising. Just like the bottle water epidemic 20 years ago.... Who ever would have thought that a 20oz bottle of water would cost more than a gallon of high test gasoline, that was during my last year of high school. 87 octane was 75 cents a gallon, 89 was 85 cents and 93 was 95cents while a bottle of water was 99 cents.

Sorry to get off topic...

I have had lots of carhartt FR pants, jackets and shirts catch fire. Just a lack of care that usually got me on fire. Holding a grinder too close has always ended up with clothing fires, just a common sense type problem. Frayed clothes are always a good spot for a spark to land and catch fire.
    I just got one of the fire hose shirtjacs from Duluth and it took a heavy stream of sparks from a cut off wheel without burning. I'm not sure if it's fire resistant or not but it's as good as the carhartt FR stuff I've had

I got curious and went on line and searched and found number of formulas that you can use for DIY fire proof clothing (you can search if interested). But I thought this Popular Science article from 1912 was pretty interesting. Among other things it points out why most cloth doesn't STAY fire proof. <https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Popular_Science_Monthly/Volume_81/October_1912/Permanent_Fireproofing_of_Cotton_Goods>.