Buying Oxy-Acetylene torch & bottles- HELP!
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Buying Oxy-Acetylene torch & bottles- HELP!

Howdy all, my first post here... glad to find this forum.

I am setting up a small "garage sized" metalworking setup. I intend to mostly just do small projects like hanging pan racks, maybe a small trailer or two. Nothing big. Also, I work as an owner operator and occasionally need to weld or cut on my truck or trailer, but I can't get the trailer to my house... I live in a cul-de-sac and my neighbors would frown on me backing the trailer in to weld on it!!

I have purchased a 220V arc welder, a chopsaw, angle grinder, helmet, gloves, etc.. I want to buy a torch setup, but to get a nice Victor torch and the "medium" sized bottles (80cu ft oxygen) at the local Welding supply outfit would set me back about $575. I also looked at the smaller Victor "Cutskill" portable setup with a 20cu foot oxygen/ 10 cu ft Acetylene bottle, for about $200 less.

I am wondering if the Cutskill setup would have enough gas to last any time at all? My inclination is to spend more now for the medium size setup and have a "real" working sized torch, but I'd love to hear your opinions either way. If the Cutskill lasts awhile, maybe it would suffice???

Re: Buying Oxy-Acetylene torch & bottles- HELP!

Go with an oxy-propane setup, you'll save a ton of money on the tanks.

Those little cylinders are just going to a aggravate you, there too small to do any real work with. The cutskill will be fine, I would at least look a the medium sized tanks, I got a Q oxy and a B acetylene, I've already ran out of acet. once. but I don't cut much, mostly weld or heat. I never considered using propane, but I hear that it's way cheeper, and works just as good, once you learn how to light the torch that is.

if you have a tractor supply store around they sell tanks and have exchange tanks. not sure how much but might be worth a call.

I've got some to sell. But you've chosen not to put your location in your profile.

Thanks for the comments guys. I am in Boise, ID Mac702. I am not familiar with oxy-propane. The only thing I've ever used is oxy acetylene, but I am open to finding out more about it, especially if it will save me some money!

I have the cheap ebay kit . So far it has been working fine... I havent had it that long, but I havent had any explosions or flames where they shouldnt be (other than when I didnt have the tip tightened all the way once). I bought an 80CF Oxy tank off ebay, I believe they are like 145 shipped, and then a 75CF Acet tank off ebay for I think 127 shipped. Just search on ebay. Ive compared many of the parts to brand-name stuff and it all appears interchangeable so I dont think there is a problem there, but we'll see. For that kit and the two tanks that puts me right around $350, plus the $50 for the initial fillup.

BTW, what is different about Oxy-Propane?

mountain flyer i dont think that using propane will be all that different from oxy acet once you get the right tips for it (propane tips ARE different then O/A tips) the propane should be alot cheaper bla bla bla...and also easier to get from your local gas station..

i think you may also need different regulators and check the gas lines for propane as well..

You can search "propane cutting" and get a lot of info. Basically, the flame is different, requiring different tips for the torch. It takes longer to preheat, and is not good for welding. But it will get it hot enough for the oxygen stream to cut. And you'll save money, once you get used to lighting it.

Other than that, others can tell you more, or the search engine. I don't use it.

I have a set of the small oxy acet bottles and they will aggravate you to no end. I got mine empty at a garage sale for $10 and exchanged them at Tractor Supply. It is better than nothing but unless you find a set at a very low price go for larger ones.

I cut with propane, use the 20 lb bottles same as my grill, and it has handled any cutting or heating chore I have come across. It is cheaper, easier to find and you can use the same regulator as acetylene.

Use a T grade fuel hose for propane.

Using the T grade hose is not necessary, only the propane tips. Running propane is one tenth the cost of acetylene. You can use those BBQ bottles which is why I suggested it, they're way cheaper than acetylene cylinders. They last a suprisingly long time, as well. Preheat time with propane is nearly identical to acetylene. You can buy a Smith Medium Duty torch set on Ebay for $250 or less. This kit will come with everything you need, except the special propane tips, to get started. The cutting tips have to be purchased, brazing tips can be converted by counter-sinking the hole with a small drill bit.