Precision Tig 225 a good first tig welder?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Precision Tig 225 a good first tig welder?

so im looking to get a tig welder within the next few weeks and im really considering the Precision tig 225... is this a good first tig set up? or should i be looking for something else. i dont want to spend a fortune but im not skimping out with a chinese machine.
    just looking for some good advice before i lay out the money. thanks
    there is a precision tig 225 for 2200 shipped.. the ready pak version..
    Last edited by capriottikidd; 04-24-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Re: Precision Tig 225 a good first tig welder?

Yes it is a good TIG machine, on both steel and aluminum. It will run a pretty slick 7018 as well.

The PT 225 is an excelent tig welder and an excelent stick welder. Burns 6010 very nice.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table
    I.A.M. Local 771
    Ironworkers Local 720

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

I own a p/t 275 for a few years now and for the most part, like it. I dont like it as much as my old s/w 355. What type of work will you be doing with it? That will make "narrowing down" much easier. I have always been a red man for many loyal years, but leaning more and more to blue for buying new equipment. It seems to me that Lincoln built nice equipment and then went to sleep for 10 years thinking we did a great job, while others kept getting better and investing in new tech. Just my op.

Quote Originally Posted by pslwelder View Post
    I own a p/t 275 for a few years now and for the most part, like it. I dont like it as much as my old s/w 355. What type of work will you be doing with it? That will make "narrowing down" much easier. I have always been a red man for many loyal years, but leaning more and more to blue for buying new equipment. It seems to me that Lincoln built nice equipment and then went to sleep for 10 years thinking we did a great job, while others kept getting better and investing in new tech. Just my op.
    im going to be using it for hobby, but its more than a hobby to me haha, it wont ever be sitting in the corner full of dust waiting to be used. ill be working from sheet metal and about some thick plate once in a while for brackets and such. mostly automotive stuff. then my buggies and other home built toys haha

I'll be buying the 225 also whenever it's time. Ram welding supply will finance it for you.. I think 600down/ 200 month for a year. 2200shipped price

I and a buddy bought a Precision TIG 225 together a while back and we both love it. We have welded mostly TIG on stainless and a lot of aluminum, but also some low carbon steel. I also got rid of my stick welder and put together a stick lead to use with the 225. It does do stick pretty well and I don't hink that most weldors will need to use more than say about 150 amps for any stick unless they're building a bridge, or something like that. The majority of our welding with either 7018 or 6010 seems to be in the 80 to 120 amp range, if that high.

As far as I can see, the only drawback to it being air cooled as opposed to liquid is that the torch can get pretty warm if you do long, extended welds. This should not be a problem for a hobby welder, but could (well, actually it would) be a problem for someone doing production welding that entails long welds, especially if using fat tungstens/filler rod at high amp settings..

The machine has enough adjustments on it to do pretty much anything a hobby welder would need/want to do and, though it does NOT have all the bells and whistles of some of the latest and greatest liquid cooled welders. BUT, it does a nice job and NOT TO MENTION, does not cost what the latest and greatest ones do...CHEAPER BY FAR! We have added a couple of minor things like a lead for stick and etc...and our machine came with the cart, pedal and the whole kit...basically ready to weld, but you will need to add whatever tungstens, cups, collets and filler rod that you need for your particular welding requirements, plus a tank of gas. Ours (Precision TIG 225 Weld Pak part number K2535-2), as it came from AIRGAS here in Reno, was $2359.18 all told..tax and all.

We have seen them go for less on the internet, but decided to buy locally because we wanted to support our local LWS and also so we would "have them in our corner" if we ever had a problem of any kind with the machine, among other reasons.

So, to sum it up... after some experience with it and getting used to the settings, we would buy one of these again, and would recommend it very highly for non-production welding.

Quote Originally Posted by capriottikidd View Post
    im going to be using it for hobby, but its more than a hobby to me haha, it wont ever be sitting in the corner full of dust waiting to be used. ill be working from sheet metal and about some thick plate once in a while for brackets and such. mostly automotive stuff. then my buggies and other home built toys haha
    Sound like it will be fine for you, welds mill finish alum nice, sucks on ano aluminum. All and all, nice machine for the money. Do they offer an advanced contol panel for the 225?If so, nice features there as well. Good luck

Just to add my two cents,

I have been beating the heck out of a Longevity tigweld 250 a AC/DC for about 6 months now. Not a problem out of it and does a great job for me. Also a lot cheaper cost wise.
    From the desk of Kevin Caron
    Trying to be the best me I can!
    www.kevincaron.com

AHP Alpha Tig 200x
    MillerMatic 250
    Miller Syncrowave 200

Quote Originally Posted by dondlhmn View Post
    I and a buddy bought a Precision TIG 225 together a while back and we both love it. We have welded mostly TIG on stainless and a lot of aluminum, but also some low carbon steel. I also got rid of my stick welder and put together a stick lead to use with the 225. It does do stick pretty well and I don't hink that most weldors will need to use more than say about 150 amps for any stick unless they're building a bridge, or something like that. The majority of our welding with either 7018 or 6010 seems to be in the 80 to 120 amp range, if that high.

As far as I can see, the only drawback to it being air cooled as opposed to liquid is that the torch can get pretty warm if you do long, extended welds. This should not be a problem for a hobby welder, but could (well, actually it would) be a problem for someone doing production welding that entails long welds, especially if using fat tungstens/filler rod at high amp settings..

The machine has enough adjustments on it to do pretty much anything a hobby welder would need/want to do and, though it does NOT have all the bells and whistles of some of the latest and greatest liquid cooled welders. BUT, it does a nice job and NOT TO MENTION, does not cost what the latest and greatest ones do...CHEAPER BY FAR! We have added a couple of minor things like a lead for stick and etc...and our machine came with the cart, pedal and the whole kit...basically ready to weld, but you will need to add whatever tungstens, cups, collets and filler rod that you need for your particular welding requirements, plus a tank of gas. Ours (Precision TIG 225 Weld Pak part number K2535-2), as it came from AIRGAS here in Reno, was $2359.18 all told..tax and all.

We have seen them go for less on the internet, but decided to buy locally because we wanted to support our local LWS and also so we would "have them in our corner" if we ever had a problem of any kind with the machine, among other reasons.

So, to sum it up... after some experience with it and getting used to the settings, we would buy one of these again, and would recommend it very highly for non-production welding.
    okay, thanks for the great advice, ive come to the conclusion that i will get this... 1 cuz im only 17 with low income, and 2 sounds like it would deffinately fit me perfect. maybe ill convince my dad to go half! will update with pics when i get it

That is what I bought as my first a few years ago. As I was told..."for a beginner, too many bells, whistles, knobs, switches and buttons can get you into trouble-fast, if you don't understand how they affect the outcome."

I also, go the "One-Pak" setup and would buy the same, again.

It is pretty easy to get started on and should give you great reliability.

Good luck on whatever you go with!
    Last edited by TxDoc; 04-27-2012 at 12:05 AM.
    TxDoc's Photos

Lincoln SP175 Plus
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln 250 LX Spool Gun
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Hypertherm 600
    KMG 2x72 Belt Grinder
    Baldor 812RE Grinder