Ranger 250 problems
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Angry Ranger 250 problems

Has anyone done much pipe welding with the Ranger 250? I thought I could weld pipe as I have never had any burn through issues in the past. Since I bought my 250 I can not lay a root to save my life, and it seems that the amps jump all over the place. Granted I am used to a Bobcat but it shouldn't be this much different. Any info would be a huge help as I am about ready to sell this and buy something else.
    Building mudtanks and other oilfield equipment day by grueling day.

---------------------------------------------------

Victor preformer
    Millermatic 251
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Too many grinders and the like
    Gone but not forgotten Miller Bobcat 250
    Comming soon Lincoln Ranger 250

Re: Ranger 250 problems

What is the history of the unit? Is it new or used? If used, how many hours on it? Have you tried calling Lincoln?
    John
    - fabricator extraordinaire, car nut!
    - bleeding Miller blue!

http://www.weldfabzone.com

You must have a problem. I put an amp meter on mine and it didn't varry 3 amps when welding at set 90 no matter how I varied the arc. That was set on CC stick soft. It has a monitor on the output terminals for voltage and current. Downhill pipe has adjustable slope. I also found I had to turn it down compared to my G7. I don't weld pipe, so I have not used the slope much. It sure runs 7018.

The motor sounds like its going crazy, but since its almost an inverter, the electricity can go in bumpy and come out smooth. Will yours start an arc and weld from Idle?

David
    Last edited by David R; 05-21-2007 at 10:48 PM.
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

It sure sounds to me like you have a problem there; that machine should weld very well.

Before taking it in to the shop, or selling it, check your cables, stinger, work clamp, and any connections. If you have lots of cable coiled up, unroll it or try a short set of cables for testing purposes.

As David said, the Ranger 250 senses volts and amps at the machine. If a big roll of cable (an electrical inductor) is between the weld and the machine, the control system can't get a good reading as to what's happening at the arc.

If that doesn't help, you should take it in. Unstable output can be caused by something as simple as a poor connection in the sensing circuit, or a bad potentiometer.

Good luck,
    Bob

Thanks for the input guys!

1.) As for history, the unit is about 6 months old has 100hrs +/-.

2.) 100' lead and 50' ground on spools. Lenco insulated stinger (which I have tried an anchor as well) basic Tweeco ground. (I have been thinking about bypassing the spools and trying that as well)

3.) Tends to run 7018's fine unless on pipe vertical but still you don't as much varriance it is more of an annoiance factor, I have run countless 5P++ 5/32 on plate and not much hassel except this machine tends to stick worse than any other I have used.

4.) This machine tends to want to ramp up before you can actualy lay a bead, other than that the engine runs fine and sound.

My next course of action is to use my brothers Ranger 10,000 and check the difference between the two machines. From there it is new stinger, clamp, and bypass spools all at once to see if that helps. depending on results it may need a trip to the shop (can we say warranty )

If all else fails I guess I can use it for alternative fishing or maybe a good boat anchor. Quickly loosing my love for red.

Victor preformer
    Millermatic 251
    Miller Thunderbolt 225

Try a very short ground lead that's in PERFECT condition,and also just a short stinger to test it. When I worked in Woodward ,okla in 1981-82 ,just about ALL weldors were using lincoln sa200's and sa250's , and NO trouble,even with 150 foot leads, i know i did . Also ,what size leads are you using? I use #1 or #1-0,& have no trouble , except for carrying them (heavy)
    [SIZE="5
    "Yardbird"

I am using #1 for both lead and ground

Victor preformer
    Millermatic 251
    Miller Thunderbolt 225

If you wrap your leads in a figure 8, its supposed to cancel out the effects from the fields generated.

David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Is it just me or is 150 of #1 lead just a bit undersized for a 250 amp machine.