HOW TO - make a 220V extension cord
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

HOW TO - make a 220V extension cord

After so many redundant questions and posts, I figured I would make myself a cord for my TIG, in turn, making a "how to" for this section.

I hope this is correct, any electrical gurus please chime in.

The purchase: Home Depot 10/3 50ft. extension cord, NEMA 6-50P plug, NEMA 6-50R receptacle.
    Name:  may_pics 043.jpg
Views: 48837
Size:  65.5 KB

Name:  may_pics 044.jpg
Views: 50312
Size:  67.9 KB

Preparing the cord, strip off the 110V connectors, strip the wrap:
    Name:  may_pics 045.jpg
Views: 48703
Size:  54.3 KB

Green is ground, black and white are power. The plug comes with very good directions, just follow those. It also comes with either a 30A prong or a 50A prong (installed by default).
    Name:  may_pics 046.jpg
Views: 48683
Size:  60.5 KB

The 50A plug is all done, screw the cover back on, as well as, the cable crimp and you're done:
    Name:  may_pics 047.jpg
Views: 48617
Size:  66.7 KB

Receptacle in next post...
    Last edited by MicroZone; 05-22-2007 at 11:42 AM.
    John
    - fabricator extraordinaire, car nut!
    - bleeding Miller blue!

http://www.weldfabzone.com

Re: HOW TO - make a 220V extension cord

The receptacle end is the same - green is ground, black and white are power. I made sure to connect like colors on the "big tooth" or the larger pin. I am lacking words this morning, still first cup of coffee.

Name:  may_pics 048.jpg
Views: 48522
Size:  72.5 KB

The aftermath, cut 110V connectors, various cable encasing:

Name:  may_pics 049.jpg
Views: 48361
Size:  64.8 KB

Testing the cable on the MILLER plasma, Test is SUCCESSFUL :

Name:  may_pics 050.jpg
Views: 48326
Size:  31.2 KB

That's it, fairly simple. Any questions, just ask. Yes, I will be putting a box around the receptacle end.
    John
    - bleeding Miller blue!

Quote Originally Posted by MicroZone
    ...The purchase: Home Depot 10/3 50ft. extension cord, NEMA 6-50P plug, NEMA 6-50P receptacle...
    MINOR correction: On the devices, "P" signifies "plug," "R" is "receptacle," and "C" is "connector." A "connector" is the female receptacle that is designed for direct installation to the end of an extension cord, as opposed to one that is designed for a box or wall-mount.

Thanks for the correction MAC, I knew my terminology was off only after 1 cup of coffee.
    John
    - bleeding Miller blue!

Why the yellow tape on the ground? I might actually recommend against that. It is common to see a yellow stripe down the length of a green ground, but a fat yellow band around it could actually be seen as a recoloring. Of course, you're not likely to screw it up in this application, but I thought I'd point that out.

Also, you really should recolor the white wire, since it is now a hot and no longer a neutral. This is most easily done with a marker, just making it a second black (or any color other than white, gray, or green), along its entire visible length.

While there is nothing wrong with making the same hot wire on the same size pin, I'll just point out that it is not required.

Good catch - I cut a slit in the ground wire and wanted to be extra safe to keep the ground wire from arcing or other on the power wire. Dang - I have green tape too...but it's a cable just for me so I threw the first available e-tape on there I could grab.

A VERY good idea MAC! If the cable were to be sold, I would color it black...VERY important.

Got it - so I really didn't have to be anal retentive and put the same color wire on the matching big pin. Must be my OCD late last night - finished it up at 2 a.m.

Thanks again for the pointers and additions to the picture tutorial. I hope it at least lessens the load to the amount of new posts regarding " how do I make an extension cord for my Clarke, Lincoln, or Miller 220V welder ".

edit: correction on x,y,z per MAC 3 phase reference.
    Last edited by MicroZone; 05-22-2007 at 11:56 AM.
    John
    - bleeding Miller blue!

Oh great, "X, Y, Z" means 3-phase! Now you've done it...

Hahahaa...I mean ESAB, HTP, Lincoln, Miller or Thermadyne!
    John
    - bleeding Miller blue!

Quote Originally Posted by MicroZone
    Good catch - I cut a slit in the ground wire and wanted to be extra safe to keep the ground wire from arcing or other on the power wire. Dang - I have green tape too...but it's a cable just for me so I threw the first available e-tape on there I could grab.

A VERY good idea MAC! If the cable were to be sold, I would color it black...VERY important.

Got it - so I really didn't have to be anal retentive and put the same color wire on the matching big pin. Must be my OCD late last night - finished it up at 2 a.m.

Thanks again for the pointers and additions to the picture tutorial. I hope it at least lessens the load to the amount of new posts regarding " how do I make an extension cord for my Clarke, Lincoln, or Miller 220V welder ".

edit: correction on x,y,z per MAC 3 phase reference.
    just curious,how much$ was the plug and cord.
    LINCOLN IDEALARC 250
    LINCOLN AC/DC 225/125
    FRANKENSTEIN HOBART 300 AMP AC
    MILLERMATIC 130
    LINCOLN PRO MIG 175
    CENTURY 110V STICK
    SMITH TORCH SETUP

The Leviton brand plugs and receptacles of this type are usually 8-14 dollars at Home Depot. They also have the all-in-one receptacle in a plastic box which will mount on a wall or on the end of a cord.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702
    The Leviton brand plugs and receptacles of this type are usually 8-14 dollars at Home Depot. They also have the all-in-one receptacle in a plastic box which will mount on a wall or on the end of a cord.
    Thanks mac ,I have to buy a couple,right now i only have one and have keep switching it from welder to welder,kind of tired of it.
    LINCOLN IDEALARC 250
    LINCOLN AC/DC 225/125
    MILLERMATIC 130
    LINCOLN PRO MIG 175
    CENTURY 110V STICK
    SMITH TORCH SETUP

It came to $82 with Tax...not bad.
    John
    - bleeding Miller blue!

Hey MAC just wondering if this was ok, if it is i'll post pics, but i split one hot and the common neutral and wired them to a 110v recepticle. So now on me extension i have a large box with one 220v and one 110v recepticle. That way i can run an angle grinder or some other tool without having to run another extension cord.
    I do make sure not the run the welder and the acessory at the same time. My dad showed me how to do this on one of his extension cords so i did it to mine, just not sure its up to "CODE".

Mac ,i have another question for you,its probably a pretty stupid question but i just wanted to make sure.I have a 220v extension cord,I want to fit the plug end with with the dryer type plug with the L prong on it,but I want fit the receptacle end with the common type setup,so say i purchase a machine with the factory type plug ,it will work so i wont have keep fitting machines with the dryer plug.will this setup work.
    LINCOLN IDEALARC 250
    LINCOLN AC/DC 225/125
    MILLERMATIC 130
    LINCOLN PRO MIG 175
    CENTURY 110V STICK
    SMITH TORCH SETUP

Quote Originally Posted by fordtrucks
    Hey MAC just wondering if this was ok, if it is i'll post pics, but i split one hot and the common neutral and wired them to a 110v recepticle. So now on me extension i have a large box with one 220v and one 110v recepticle. That way i can run an angle grinder or some other tool without having to run another extension cord.
    I do make sure not the run the welder and the acessory at the same time. My dad showed me how to do this on one of his extension cords so i did it to mine, just not sure its up to "CODE".
    It's not to Code, like you suspect.

Now, ask me if I made one, too...

Quote Originally Posted by chrysler tech
    Mac ,i have another question for you,its probably a pretty stupid question but i just wanted to make sure.I have a 220v extension cord,I want to fit the plug end with with the dryer type plug with the L prong on it,but I want fit the receptacle end with the common type setup,so say i purchase a machine with the factory type plug ,it will work so i wont have keep fitting machines with the dryer plug.will this setup work.
    Very common issue.

Do you currently have a 3-prong dryer receptacle, or a 4-prong?

Very common issue.

Do you currently have a 3-prong dryer receptacle, or a 4-prong?
    3 prong with that L prong
    LINCOLN IDEALARC 250
    LINCOLN AC/DC 225/125
    MILLERMATIC 130
    LINCOLN PRO MIG 175
    CENTURY 110V STICK
    SMITH TORCH SETUP

Quote Originally Posted by chrysler tech
    3 prong with that L prong
    You need a NEMA 10-30P plug on one end and a NEMA 6-50R receptacle on the other (for standard welding machine plugs.)

You need a NEMA 10-30P plug on one end and a NEMA 6-50R receptacle on the other (for standard welding machine plugs.)

thanks
    LINCOLN IDEALARC 250
    LINCOLN AC/DC 225/125
    MILLERMATIC 130
    LINCOLN PRO MIG 175
    CENTURY 110V STICK
    SMITH TORCH SETUP

I thought about doing this too...but then I do alot of work for electricians and didn't want them to think I cob stuff up. It's a great idea but I like to keep things neat and tidy.

It's not to Code, like you suspect.

Now, ask me if I made one, too...
    John
    - bleeding Miller blue!

It's funny you mention that because I see cobbed stuff all the time, and my first thought is, well, that's what I'd do, but I wonder if this guy did it safely or just out of ignorance....

My sentiments exactly MAC, I'd rather not have someone say, "hmm, I wonder if he cobbed that or did he really make a neat device?". Up here, we call it "rigging" and it's often the blunt of many jokes.
    John
    - bleeding Miller blue!

Talking Re: HOW TO - make a 220V extension cord

Ok no pics then. No need to start something that will eventually get out of had.
    But if its good enough for MAC and Micro its good enough for me.
    Thanks guys you eassed my mind

Just a follow up - I was out in the big shop and had my TIG connected via this extension cord and was TIG'ing at MAX amps for about 3 hours. The cord held up fine, provided great power and never even got warm. I was checking it from time to time to double check my work...dang OCD.
    John
    - bleeding Miller blue!

Sorry first post,

I just got me a Linclon 225/125 AC/DC arc welder and I need a 50' extension cord to run from my dryer to the welder. The dryer plug is three prong with the L shaped ground. Will 10/3 cord be fine or will it not have enough poop to do it or start on fire. Just want to make sure I don't waste my money on getting a cord thats not good enough.