HOW TO - make a 220V extension cord - Page 11
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Re: HOW TO - make a 220V extension cord

Yeah Im realizing that now. There is no ground aka a$$ saver. There cords are similar as mine. Yes they are 4 wire but the one wire is not used. The other male end is a regular 220 volt cable like mine. I would really hate to take this apart but Im really considering it. I could strap a 110volt cable to the 220volt cable and wire that as a separate circuit in the box with a proper ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
    I picked up a few other items as well so my total was around $140 but the cord was cheaper than I expected, either $59.99 or $69.99.

The 50' cords were on sale for $119.00. I found the 25' cords in the same bin and there were no tags showing prices for the shorter ones.

I was tempted to get the 50' but it's huge and very bulky. With a 24' x 28' garage the 25' extension in addition to the cord already on the welder will get me anywhere in the garage. As the outlet is mounted on the wall near the side pedestrian door and close to the overhead door, I can still get about 25' outside to the front or side of the garage if I wanted to weld outside - an unlikely scenario as I have a 12' high garage (12' high door) so I'll likely pull any trailer or vehicle inside to work on anyway.

Even the 25' cord is heavy. I put it on the passenger seat of my Tacoma on top of my gym bag and it activated the seatbelt warning light. (the gym bag had running shoes, bag gloves and maybe one T-shirt)

Princess Auto is a heavenly place...
    I checked the receipt while puttering in the garage tonight after a three hour snow-blowing/shovelling session and it was $69.99.
    "These instructions are at our present level of
    knowledge. Legal requirements do not exist.
    Technical issues subject to change."

Lincoln MIG PAK 180
    Lincoln AC-225

Hi guys, newbe on this forum, great info and ideas here, thanks to all who post the good info.

I too have an extension cord for my welder (Millermatic 212), but it is an un-altered 110V, 20A cord(10-3). Before I tell how I am able to use a 110V cord for 220V, let me put in the disclaimers: I know this method does not meet anyone's code but mine, I do NOT recommend this method be used in any situation but a "one-man" shop.

First is an adapter with a 50A plug on one end and a 20A, 110V receptacle on the other (connected with 10-3 extension cord). Plug that into my welder outlet, then plug the 50FT, 20A-110V extension cord into that. Then the second adapter with a 20A-110V plug plugs into the extension cord, and of course the other end of this adapter has a 50A-220V receptacle on it, and the welder plugs into that. I don't use it often since most of my welding is done close to the area where my 50A receptacle is on the wall. This way my 50FT cord is available for 110V use all the time, with the exception of those rare occasions when I use it with the welder.

Like I said, I am aware of the potential for a mix-up with this set-up if someone other than myself used it. In case any one is not sure what the danger is, anything with a 110V plug could be plugged into 220V, either at the first adapter, on at the end of the extension cord. I am not sure what would happen, I suppose it would depend on what you plugged in. I am sure a power tool would get different results than a TV. Maybe one of the electrictians on here could shed some light on what would/could happen. The best that could happen would be to trip the breaker, not sure what the worst would be.

I know this is not a solution for a commercial or industrial environment, but it works for me and and I didn't have to cut up my good 20A cord, and can still use it for 110V tools.

see link cant get pics to post by copy paste..
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=47884
    Last edited by Down&out; 02-23-2011 at 09:03 PM.
    Shop rigs -
    Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
    Miller 252

Home rigs -
    Esab Caddy c200i
    Hitachi E71 Generator
    Metabo chop saw, grinders, etc

Two cats
    Unhealthy addictions to surfing and demolition derby

Quote Originally Posted by Down&out View Post
    got my 50ft of cord and my pig tail. Could someone please let me know if I wired these correctly
    this is the pigtail wiring..
    L14-30 to 50A 125/250V Leviton (old clothes dryer male)
    Here is the pigtail

Male
    http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...ana/cfgfdg.jpg
    female L14 - 30
    http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...na/cxfgfdg.jpg
    And here is my 50ft 10AWG 3 wire
    Male L14-30P
    http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...kana/vbnvb.jpg
    and the female 650 for Miller, Esab ect..
    http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...kana/fgfgf.jpg
    Good to go
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    TA 185
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Take a look at this deal!!! 25 Feet 8/3 "Welders Cord" Rated at 50 amps. 49.99$ 2.99 shipping. I just bought 2! This is a VERY good deal!!

http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net...=BDIY&i=162484

Looks like you got the last two. they are sold out

OK guys-

I'm going shopping tomorrow. I need a cord.

Just picked up a Hobart Handler 187. I'm not sure, I haven't looked and I'm laying in bed, does this welder share the same type of plug that a typical 220v wash/dryer/range might use?

Also this is what I'm looking at picking up:

Plug

Outlet

Cord

Anyone see any issues with this?

Buddy of mine had a 50 foot 8/3 gauge wire and gave it to me. I put a male end on one end and 2 females on the other. Of course cannot use both ends at the same time.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    We are on our way to being farmers! Our site is always under construction so check back often for updates.

http://www.philosophyfarmstyle.com/

i have too many welder extension cords i have about 5 or 6 6-4 or 6-3+6 soow cords and a couple 8-3 and 8-4 plus the 50 foot 8-4 cord on my welding cart. best part is i never pay for wire we use it for temp power to job site sub panels and the 6-4 is mostly used to power the panel on temp gen. for the case heater and battery charger. i'll show how i make up an extension cord with arrow hart 6-50 cord caps and the other way i do it with isn't up to OSHA standards but I do believe you have to have employees to have an OSHA problem............
    2-Lincoln idealarc 250/250, lincoln 225 ac/dc welder, lincweld ac 180c, hobart handler 210, hobart stickmate lx 235/160, Hypertherm Powermax30

local 26 I.B.E.W Electrician

I am strongly considering making up a 100' cord. I am quickly seeing just how much in-wall wire I am going to have to buy to get outlets everywhere I may need them. A big extension cord might end up being cheaper, safer and more user friendly. It may even save me from having to do a sub-panel in my garage.

This is tempting
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=2775

What I'd really like is some 4 wire stuff, ideally a 6/2 + 8/2, to allow dual voltage out of my 100' cord like Oxy454's (but more correctly ) and keep the copper content comparable; but that seams to be only available in a 6' range cord from what I've found.

Any ideas for heavy 4 wire SOOW (or some other usable letters) without REALLY breaking the bank?

I'd really like to be able to do more than just weld in my driveway with the cord if I dump that much money into building it. being able to get more use out of the generator and run other tools with the welder out in the driveway would be nice too.

Maybe a couple of these
    http://www.adventurerv.net/amp-exten...le-p-1412.html
    would be better, then build some adapters and whatnot separately, keeping the cords unbroken. would be smarter.

100' 6/4 would be such a ball buster to deal with.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA 185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    100' 6/4 would be such a ball buster to deal with.
    I did pick up a 30' RV 50 amp cord from amazon for under $90, but they only had 1 left. I also ordered some better ends than wall boxes to make an adapter or another extension cord. 3x RV cords in-line would be a bit easier to work with than 1 huge cord, no doubt.

the 100' of 6/3 from Home Depot lists the ship weight as 70lbs, but that probably includes a spool. I think I'd definitely do some sort of crank reel on wheels for a monster extension cord like that.

I had another scary brainstorm last night, just use multiple 110v extension cords

I figure a pair of 10 gauge wires = about a 7 gauge if I did my math right. I could do 1 cord for each of the hots and maybe a 3rd 12 gauge cord for the neutral, then just use all the grounds as grounds. 3 cords would let me braid it too, otherwise I'd have to tape it every so often. I could do some funky adapter that would let me get by without cutting the cords' ends off too.

100' 10 gauge extension cord looks like they weight about 24lbs each. the problem is a pair of 100' 10 gauge cords cost about the same as the home depot 6/3 spool. Maybe if I find a deal on them somewhere.

The 1 cord I already ordered will get me significantly more reach than just the bare machine. I guess I see how that works before I spend hundreds more.

what do you guys think about this for the beginning of a good extension:

http://www.harborfreight.com/50-ft-3...ord-66122.html

Quote Originally Posted by superwelder View Post
    what do you guys think about this for the beginning of a good extension: http://www.harborfreight.com/50-ft-3...ord-66122.html
    I don't like it - not any great deal at all.
    That's $70 for 50 ft of 30 amps rated cable - likely only #10 gauge and the plug is a 30 amp dryer plug... and who knows what the recetacle is? By the time you put welding plug and welding recetacle on that cord (another $35), you will be over $100 - and you still have only 3/10 cable - good for just 30 amps.

I like Greg Tracker's approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Tracker View Post
    Take a look at this deal!!! 25 Feet 8/3 "Welders Cord" Rated at 50 amps. 49.99$ 2.99 shipping. I just bought 2! This is a VERY good deal!! http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net...=BDIY&i=162484
    Seen a similar on sale deal at TSC stores a few weeks back; ~$50 for 25 ft of 8/3 50 amp welder cable complete with welder plug and welder receptacle. I bought two for $100+tax. This gives me a maximum amount of flexibility; can use 25 ft for short runs - without having a pile of unused cord getting in the way and weighing me down. For a long run, I can join em together for 50 ft.
    Rick V

1 Airco Heliwelder 3A/DDR
    3 CTC 70/90 amp Stick/Tig Inverters in Parallel
    1 Lincoln MIG PAK 15
    1 Oxy-Acet

Quote Originally Posted by Rick V View Post
    and the plug is a 30 amp dryer plug... and who knows what the recetacle is? By the time you put welding
    Yes it is a 10 gauge cord but it is definately not a dryer plug. RV's are 120 volts only and use Nema configuration TT-30R and TT-30P respectively for the 30 amp hookup. As you probably guessed the TT is for travel trailer. The TT-30 configuration only supplies 120 volts when wired properly.

The 50 amp RV hookup uses a standard 14-50 configuration, just like the one for your electric range. However the RV does not have any 240 volt loads, so the RV panel simply utilizes both 120 volt legs separately.

Occasionally we hear about a DIY who mistakenly wires his own 30 amp travel trailer receptacle with two hots and a ground.

Well thats it for your mini RV wiring lesson, maybe I saved at least one RV from extensive damage.
    Last edited by bigb; 11-30-2011 at 09:50 PM.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Linde 235 AC Stick
    Victor 100C
    Harris O/A
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Lincoln Weldanpower 3000LX

No, that's not my car.

Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA 185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    very nice Ed
    Miller Challenger 172
    Linde 235 AC Stick
    Victor 100C
    Harris O/A
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Lincoln Weldanpower 3000LX

No, that's not my car.

Am I likely ot see a current drop with an extension? I have been able to run my Eastwood 175 3-4 current steps higher than teh chart suggests. I'm not getting burn through although I have noticed that the stick out end of the wire is burned black. Can you supply TOO much heat to a bead as long as you don't burn through? Could teh Eastwood not be supplying the current it is supposed to. It is chinese.

Democratic People's Republic of North Koreafornia

This is good stuff.
    Lincoln Power Mig 216
    Lincoln AC/DC-225/125

Miller 625 X-Treme Plasma
    Miller 211

Forney 95FI-A 301
    HF 91110
    Victor Journeyman O/P
    Milwaukee
    Dayton
    Makita
    Baileigh

Life member: NRA

Gents,

I know this is an older thread, but I just finished up a 50' 6/3 welder extension cord while I am waiting on the stuff to put a sub panel in the garage and wire up some 220V and 110V recepticals. Right now the garage only has 2 110V recepticals, one on the ceiling for the garage door opener and one on the wall that the deep freeze is hoggin up. Not a good idea to use that one for anything else from past experience. Anyway, I didn't want to use a wall receptcial on an extension cord. After some exhaustive serching on the old world wide web I found an electical supplier that sources a 6-50R connector. I know the R is for receptical, but I promise this is the connector. If you are interested go to http://www.galco.com/ and type 6709N in the site's serch bar. They also offer the matching plug, but it is straight, not a 90 degree.

Trap

Quote Originally Posted by trapc45 View Post
    Gents,

I know this is an older thread, but I just finished up a 50' 6/3 welder extension cord while I am waiting on the stuff to put a sub panel in the garage and wire up some 220V and 110V recepticals. Right now the garage only has 2 110V recepticals, one on the ceiling for the garage door opener and one on the wall that the deep freeze is hoggin up. Not a good idea to use that one for anything else from past experience. Anyway, I didn't want to use a wall receptcial on an extension cord. After some exhaustive serching on the old world wide web I found an electical supplier that sources a 6-50R connector. I know the R is for receptical, but I promise this is the connector. If you are interested go to http://www.galco.com/ and type 6709N in the site's serch bar. They also offer the matching plug, but it is straight, not a 90 degree.

Trap
    here is the direct link:

http://www.galco.com/scripts/cgiip.e...pnum=6709N-CWD
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Millermatic 211
    Everlast 200DX
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
    Century Stick welder
    Hypertherm Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Oxy set-up, Henrob 2000 torch
    Logan 200 lathe (60 years old)
    Clausing 6339 Lathe
    and about 6 HF grinders with different discs

great post

Quote Originally Posted by yesindeed View Post
    Thanks for the link. I found it a bit cheaper at a different place, but that turned out to be the best solution for me. I have 76 feet of 6/3 SOOW arriving tomorrow. As I looked around for a box and clamp to fit that wire size, it became cleare that it was quite clunky.

That plug is perfect. Now I just have to wait for the plug to show up.
    Victor Oxy Setup with various torch tips
    Meco Midget Torch outfit
    Lincoln Square Wave Tig 175 with Pulser
    Lincoln 180 Dual w/ spot timer and Spool Gun
    Everlast Powerarc 200
    *new* Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Bandsaw, Lathe, grinders, press, etc.