boat t-top
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: boat t-top

Question boat t-top

large

Did anybody build boat t-top using anodized marine aluminum, I am looking for some advices.
    I know they use 1 1/4 schedule 40 anodized aluminum pipe, they also paint the weld to match the color so it does not oxidize in salt water.
    I do not know where to get pipe, I do not know how to clean anodization before tig weld itc.

thanks for any tips
    zbigniew kociolek

cutter Guest
    Wow, Zbig - you're way outta my league. But welcome to the board. Make yourself at home & maybe somebody will come along that speaks anodized.

Hey zkociolek, welcome to the board.
    I did a google search for anodized aluminum pipe and came up with quite a few supplier listings. But as for the anodized finish removal, I came up with nothing. I would imagine that you would just sand it off since aluminum is so soft that grinding may take off more material than one would want.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom.

Anodize is aluminum oxide, and hard as hell.
    It will have to be ground off.
    It is possible for a really skilled weldor to sneak under the anodize with the weld, but that leaves a flau in the bond between anodize and aluminum that will reveal itself in a boating environment.
    Appreciation Gains You Recognition-

oven cleaner will remove the anodized coating

zkociolek

Welcome,
    I can't help with your question, but glad to have you aboard.
    Craig S.
    Craig S.

welcome zkociolek,i cant help u either but ive been rebuilding some al bleachers,just had a lot of Anodize 1 1/4 sch 40 pipe but took it to the scape yard payed pretty good to ,but now wished i would kept it around for awhile!!

Smile thanks

Thank you for you advices, when I get closer to the project I let yopu know what I came up with.
    zbigniew kociolek

hope i can answer any??? ive built a few ........ lol .....................................jim

like to see the results............jim

Quote Originally Posted by zkociolek
    large

Did anybody build boat t-top using anodized marine aluminum, I am looking for some advices.
    I know they use 1 1/4 schedule 40 anodized aluminum pipe, they also paint the weld to match the color so it does not oxidize in salt water.
    I do not know where to get pipe, I do not know how to clean anodization before tig weld itc.

thanks for any tips
    Morse steel/ fabrication sells the aluminum pipe and the fittings. You are going to need a LOT of welder to burn the anodizing off as you go. And, then be ready for the towers to come back to you in a few years with cracks in them. My boat tower is aluminum, and the anodizing has pitted badly, and the tower cracks in a new spot every 2 years. Anodized aluminum kinda sucks, IMHO. I will rebuild it in stainless next year... we just got done repairing it all over the place for this season. So it's time to fish, and break my ugly pitted tower. I'd rather use mill spec aluminum TUBE, instead of pipe, and just paint it in the first place. My first tower was like that. No cracks in 7 years, no pitting. I got talked into the anodized by the boat shop. Never again. To typically get through the anodizing, you need to run about 210-230 amps, and set for a lot of cleaning with your sq. wave. The extra heat is to push that turd out of the way, and to compensate for the extra cleaning vs. penetraion. Then, you bump back your welds to push the anodizing turd to the outer edges. clean with acetone, and paint. I hate doing it. I'd rather tig weld rusted trailers all day, upside down. It can be made to look good with some practice and tuning your welder.

And after looking at arc-tek's website, you should go over to his shop with a case of Heineken and sweet talk him for pointers...he can show you how to set up your machine to do the job well.