2 x 110vac fans instead of 1 x 220vac fan?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

2 x 110vac fans instead of 1 x 220vac fan?

Hello,

Have a question not a electrical or welding exper... I have a Lincoln buzz box 220vac stick welder. Looks like a tombstone it's old. just AC.

The fan took a dump on me. I took it out and then looked online only to find Lincoln replacement fans are a little pricy. Was looking around local places like science and surplus etc. and trying to find a 220VAC fan.. and didn't. Although there were a few decent high power 110VAC fans laying around the surplus store. They'd work just have to be hooked up properly.

Was thinking instead of ordering a 220VAC fan online and paying like $50 couldn't I take 2 110VAC fans and hook them up in series to the 220VAC leads in the welder? Not sure if that would work. Sounds like it might but figured I'd ask before I screw something up.
    Lincoln AC-225-S

Re: 2 x 110vac fans instead of 1 x 220vac fan?

" 2 110VAC fans and hook them up in series to the 220VAC leads"
    Are you stacking the fans or making a new hole. Stacking does a bump over zip.

Don't look for the original Lincoln part, get a aftermarket.

Best fan made: Sanyo Denki, last forever, great cfm, hard to find.

Good alternate COMAIR Rotron, some of the Taiwan fans are pretty good also, Sunon for example.

Anyway here is a link to Digikey: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll

Should get you in the zone, then look on Ebay.

I theory 2 identical fans would work,in practace the are problems.
    Is one of these big enough ?http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric
    Hobart T225
    HF 151/2 Cap mod
    HF 131/2 Cap mod
    Miller Cricket XL
    Century Portable Mig
    O/A

I just did a quickie search on the fan looking for specs, found the part, and prices No spec's. 500 cfm IS LOT OF AIR, something is rotten in that deli. I seriously doubt Lincoln put that much CFM fan in a low end welder, New thats a $75-90 dollar fan.

Yes I would say thats enough air ( eductated guess ).

Question is I doubt it will fit, have you measured, and got a new bracket to mount it figured out?

Coronado. CA across the bay from San Diego, CA

Two fans in series would, in my opinion, double the risk of failure.

I would consider connecting a 110 VAC fan from one phase off the switch to the internal neutral / ground lead, but there is a caution. Because my wellder is connected directly to the main panel the neutral and ground are the same. If I was connected to a sub-panel, the ground and neutral would not be the same.
    I offer three choices: Good, Fast, & Cheap. You may pick two.

Hobart AC/DC StikMate LX
    Harbor Freight AD Hood
    Harbor Freight Industrial Chop Saw
    DeVilbis 20 Gallon, 5 HP Compressor

It's not a good idea to use the ground wire as a substitute for neutral. It's also an electrical code violation. Electrical current flow in a ground circuit should be reserved for preventing electrocutions in fault conditions. When it gets used as a return path for part of the power circuit the cases of grounded equipment can electrocute you if conditions are right (or wrong in this case). DON'T DO IT ! Find the right fan and hook it up correctly. It only hurts your wallet once, but may save you or somebody else's life.

Two 120 volt fans in series across 240 volts is not a good idea either. Though not electrically unsafe, they can create mechanical mounting and reliability problems. Fix it right once and you will reap the reward for a long time.

Charley
    Miller MM252
    Miller Bobcat 225NT
    Miller DialArc HF / DIY Cooler
    2 Victor O/A Torchsets
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Saw
    Milwaukee Dry Cut "Chop" Saw
    5 Ton Wallace Gantry
    Various Grinders, Benders, etc.

Consider using a 220/110 volt step-down transformer to drive the fan. You don't say anything about fan size, CFM, or rated current or power. Are any of those specs available for the original fan?

I looked at three 8" and 9" diameter 115 VAC fans I have laying around and noted that current was just under one amp for all three. Double that (for worst-case assumption and safety factor purposes) and you have about a 230 watt 115/230 volt transformer. Might be able to pick one up at fairly low cost. For lowest cost, match the transformer power or current rating to the actual rating of your selected fan and mount the transformer in the airstream of the fan.

Not a good idea to mount two fans in series, although it might work. Any difference in air loading between the two fans would result in an electrical mismatch between the two fans and this would lead unequal voltages across the fans and one getting excessive voltage. Just putting the two fans in (air) series will not guarantee equal loading because the upstream fan will see "clean" incoming air whereas the downstream fan will see turbulent and rotating incoming air, drastically affecting its efficiency. Putting two identical fans side-by-side would appear to offer the highest likelihood of relatively equal loading and resultant success but would require rework of the fan baffling. You would have to decide whether the extra labor was worth the dollar savings relative to buying a proper 230 volt fan.

awright