stud welder ??
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: stud welder ??

Hybrid View

john pen Guest

stud welder ??

I see on e-bay, someone in my area is selling a TRW stud welder...can someone please tell me what it is/used for.....thanks

A friend of mine makes cabinet hardware and uses his to weld a threaded stud to the knob pull (both are steel). He puts the stud in the gun, holds it against the knob and pulls the trigger. It has an adjustable weld timer so the current shuts off when the weld is completed.
    Get it hot and hit it hard...

john pen Guest
    so, it dosent use any rod or anything, I would guess the ground would go on the knob and the bolt would be like the rod ??

When they work, they are good for spending a lot of money on the electric bill, as well as studs and porcelain sleves. About half of the time, you get to use rods to finish the damn weld cause the stud didn't properly weld itself.
    Stud welding is a lot like an oversized spotweld.
    Appreciation Gains You Recognition-

john pen Guest
    got it..looks like Ill pass on this one....however, theres a Lincoln gas welder on there in my area.......

Yea, there's an SA 200 in my front yard too, comon over and bring cash. Let me know when yer comin and I'll put a new battery in it and hunt up some good tires.

If you do a TRW web search you can see the variety of appications. I suspect the unit if large enough would be used to attach steel studs on structural beams before concrete is poured on top. The studs tie the concrete to the beam below to make a composite structure. This is common on bridge decks. The studs I have used have been as big as 7/8 diameter and as long as eight inches.
    Code requires that you bend over a few before you start for real and often you are requested to hammer over every tenth or twentieth to prove the connection is holding solid.

ROCK Guest
    Hi John Penn..........the kw output of the machine will tell you the thickest material you can weld............. Stud welding can be from very small to very large structural steel studs in high rise and bridges............... Although some are welded now............ It all does depend on the application............ What were you thinking of useing it for.....................Be Safe.......................ROCK

<----- Stud weldor

^^^^ It's nice when a youngster has a dream^^^^^^
    Notice how Amy never posts cause she's workin her tail off so he can skateboard on the dam.

morpheus Guest
    Originally posted by MAC702
    <----- Stud weldor
    bwahaha ... the "stuff" is starting to get deep in here now