Trade / Sell Miller Auto-Darkening Helmet for Acetylene Torch
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thumbs up Trade / Sell Miller Auto-Darkening Helmet for Acetylene Torch

Hi guys,

I'd like to trade someone my Miller auto-darkening helmet (Performance series, good mid-range, p/n 232035), preferably for components of an acetylene rig. I need the whole rig, so I'm open to all the components (combination torch and regulators, back-flash suppressors, etc), except for the bottles and the hoses. Whatcha got?

Helmet is in like-new condition, includes replacement plate cover, bag, etc. received with purchase. I purchased new a few years ago for a welding class, but has sat on the shelf since then. Helmet works great and is lightweight, but I'd rather set myself up with an acetylene rig, which I've had the most luck with and seems to be the best suited to what I need.

Out of curiousity, why don't more people use acetylene rigs? Is the per bead cost higher than other types? I've done a bit of it, but I haven't paid to fill bottles yet myself, so I'm not too sure how long the bottles last or what the approximate per bead / per cut cost might be.

Re: Trade / Sell Miller Auto-Darkening Helmet for Acetylene Torch

Acetylene is reasonable for welding. I get my cylinders through relentless Craigslist scrounging then exchange them so I don't get boned with a lease.

Give us an idea of WHAT metal and thickness your primary welding will be.

If you have large hands or small hands, handle size will be relevant.

Do some reading here:

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=27598

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Acetylene is reasonable for welding. I get my cylinders through relentless Craigslist scrounging then exchange them so I don't get boned with a lease.

Give us an idea of WHAT metal and thickness your primary welding will be.

If you have large hands or small hands, handle size will be relevant.

Do some reading here:

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=27598

Metal will be steel, of varying thicknesses, mostly around 1/8", 1/4", etc. May do some thinner stuff, in which case I'll get a jeweler's torch. I'm also expecting to braze and cut. I'd get a propane setup, but I'd like it to be able to weld as well.

You can use both LP and acetylene cylinders as fuel. Many of us do. I cut with LP, and many folks also braze with it. As long as your regulator has a CGA-510 fitting or you use a (common, cheap) adapter you are good to go.

Have a larger Victor torch, PM if interested

teslamusas: I have a small victor setup complete. Everything else works good. Farmalls point about LP and Acet. is good. I have used LP for almost 40 years and have learned how to weld with it (hard) and braze (Acceptable and comparatively easy) It is a lot cheaper if you are going to do a lot of cutting, and it does a better job than acetylene, less clean up etc. Uses slightly more oxygen but not noticable. One 20# bottle will last for 3 to 4 K oxygen bottles.

I have a complete Oxy/Ace set. Where are you located?
    Thanks, Paul

[QUOTE=teslamusas;1137731]Hi guys,

I'd like to trade someone my Miller auto-darkening helmet (Performance series, good mid-range, p/n 232035), preferably for components of an acetylene rig. I need the whole rig, so I'm open to all the components (combination torch and regulators, back-flash suppressors, etc), except for the bottles and the hoses. Whatcha got?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the comments, and sorry for the slow response. The helmet was inaccessible while we painted the garage door. Helmet is still open for trade, thought I'd add a few pictures.

I also need to clarify the condition - helmet was used with stick welder, and so has a few tiny spots on the plastic parts. You've got to look close to see them, and they absolutely do not affect function. I'd probably say its in excellent condition, rather than like new. No marks on the clear faceplate; it's easily replaceable and helmet includes 3 or 4 unused plates.

Let me know if you have any questions!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

second pic, padding looks new, I always wore a baseball hat

third pic

pm sent