A Bench Vise Thread... - Page 9
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Re: A Bench Vise Thread...

Been told on another forum that this is a Parker 978. Just under 300# Gave a guy $100 for it about 10 years ago, pretty sure he overdosed with that hundred bucks a day or 2 later.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Here's a big Wilton we found the other day while picking up s Idealarc 250. It's a model 09-600, made in October 1977. 6" jaws and 11" opening. Weighs about 140lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    1993 Miller Maxstar 140 STR
    2015 Lincoln MP210
    1966 Lincoln SA200 Redface

Seeing all these quality vises makes me want to upgrade. I plan on hitting more auctions this spring and hope to get a good quality USA made vise.
    Last edited by MoltenMetalMaven; 12-16-2016 at 04:25 PM.
    Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP
    Lincoln Square Wave TIG 200
    Hypertherm Powermax 65 plasma cutter
    Kalamazoo 610W metal bandsaw
    Atlas 618 lathe

The muther of all bench vices:

Name:  KIMG0169.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  57.9 KB
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Greetings all. So, I need some help identifying this vise for the purpose of trying to track down some replacement parts. Chiefly, I'd like to replace the worn out knurled main jaws and possibly find the missing bottom angled jaw. Otherwise I'll likely have to fabricate something or have it made elsewhere.

I noticed two very similar, but not identical, vises to mine on the first page of this thread, but no mention of identification. I've had the vise for about twenty years and my step father from whom I got the vise said he had it for about ten years prior to that but he bought it used from a guy who said he'd had it for quite some time. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Name:  20170108_212330.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  75.4 KB
    Name:  20170108_212338.jpg
Size:  82.1 KB
    Name:  20170108_212355.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  99.9 KB
    Name:  20170109_201819.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  78.6 KB
    Name:  20170109_201830.jpg
Size:  76.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by darkbreeze View Post
    Greetings all. So, I need some help identifying this vise for the purpose of trying to track down some replacement parts. Chiefly, I'd like to replace the worn out knurled main jaws and possibly find the missing bottom angled jaw. Otherwise I'll likely have to fabricate something or have it made elsewhere.

I noticed two very similar, but not identical, vises to mine on the first page of this thread, but no mention of identification. I've had the vise for about twenty years and my step father from whom I got the vise said he had it for about ten years prior to that but he bought it used from a guy who said he'd had it for quite some time. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I purchased one very similar to yours a few months ago at a local flea market for $20 missing the same piece on the bottom. Mine is also missing the pipe inserts.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 01-10-2017 at 04:25 AM.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

That looks like one of the early Chinese imports from the '80's. I still have one that I bought from Sams Club for fifty bucks around 1985. The pipe jaws fell out about three moves back...

If I were you I would modify some higher grade replacement jaws and retrofit it, as opposed to trying to fine oem.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

I agree with going ahead and making jaws. If it were mine, knowing the 'quality' of the rest of the vise (I have one of these also), I'd probably knock something together from whatever scrap I had laying around as opposed to spending lots of money on it.

You might also have success going to one of your local HF or hardware stores and locating one of these brand new, measuring to be sure it's from the same mold, and then ordering the replacement jaws through that supplier.
    Applied Fabrications, LLC

Mobile Welding / Mechanical Repair in VA's Piedmont & Shenandoah Valley

Thanks for the replies. I suspected it might be an early Chinese model since I couldn't find any identification anywhere on the vise. I've used the hell out of this thing and beaten the bejesust out of a boatload of items on it and it has mostly held up pretty well. The part that's missing has always been missing though, and the jaws ARE a funky size although I think I could probably make a 5" jaw work on it if I can find one even remotely similar. I believe the clamping jaws are closest to 4 3/4" wide by 7/8" tall by 1/2" thick but only have two holes for fasteners, while most of the domestic vises I've seen that screw on seem to have three.

Still keeping my eye open for something of similar size or slightly larger capacity that's higher up the food chain, but for now I guess I'll see what I can Frankenstein it with. Any favorite sites for sourcing replacement vise parts, even ones that aren't brand specific? Thanks.
    Last edited by darkbreeze; 01-10-2017 at 01:49 PM.

And these jaws have a 3" center to center, most of what I'm seeing has 2-3/8" or 2-1/2", any source for a 3" center to center would be appreciated as well. Unfortunately I don't have the capability to mill the knurling on the faces of these or I'd just make them myself.

Google does not appear to be very helpful in this regard.

Well, looks like maybe getting a standard 5" jaw and tapping the vise for the new mounting hole distance might be my only option. Let me know if anybody has another idea. Thanks.

Well, looks like maybe getting a standard 5" jaw and tapping the vise for the new mounting hole distance might be my only option. Let me know if anybody has another idea. Thanks.
    Get in touch with Kevin at www.benchvisejaws.com He can definitely make jaws to the dimensions you want, and I know he's got at least some that have 3" C-C on the bolt holes, but don't know if they're too tall or not for you application. His jaws cost more than some replacements out there, but they are simply the best you can buy.

This is a set of Kevin's jaws...you can see the rainbow colors which come from nitrogen exposure during the heat treating they go through. He machines them on a CNC mill in his shop, so every set is pretty much perfect. This is a Snap-On 1760 I restored and decided to paint in SO Extreme Green...folks seem to really like the color. I wasn't sure at first, but now I think it's pretty cool.

In case anybody wants to see the rest....and we all love pictures:

Check out my website dedicated to restoring U.S. made vises: http://mivise.com

Hobart Champion Elite
    Miller Thunberbolt AC/DC
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Very nice restoration (and outstanding craftsmanship on those jaws!). It looks like Snap On sourced their vises from Wilton.
    Last edited by scsmith42; 01-11-2017 at 07:07 PM.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

I'll definitely do that. I'd prefer to have a set of jaws that are right, rather than ones that are close, but not exact. Thank you for that.

I like the color by the way. Almost identical to the color I used on my Reed No. 104. It's an older one, stamped Reed manufacturing company rather than with the logo like the newer ones. That's a nice vise too.
    Last edited by darkbreeze; 01-12-2017 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    Get in touch with Kevin at www.benchvisejaws.com He can definitely make jaws to the dimensions you want, and I know he's got at least some that have 3" C-C on the bolt holes, but don't know if they're too tall or not for you application. His jaws cost more than some replacements out there, but they are simply the best you can buy.

This is a set of Kevin's jaws...you can see the rainbow colors which come from nitrogen exposure during the heat treating they go through. He machines them on a CNC mill in his shop, so every set is pretty much perfect. This is a Snap-On 1760 I restored and decided to paint in SO Extreme Green...folks seem to really like the color. I wasn't sure at first, but now I think it's pretty cool.

In case anybody wants to see the rest....and we all love pictures:

Nice job on the restoration. You pretty much doubled it's value to the snap on crowd by making it extreme green.

I have a 5" Yost on the welding table and then I also have a Rock Island model 573.

I actually found two of the Rock Island in the scrap pile at a recycling center when I went to drop off a load of junk. I grabbed the two vises and threw then in the back of the truck. I ended up selling one Rock Island a few years later.

Name:  DSCF1639.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  61.4 KBName:  DSCF1640.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  63.9 KBName:  DSCF1641.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  40.9 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    Very nice restoration (and outstanding craftsmanship on those jaws!). It looks like Snap On sourced their vises from Wilton.
    Thanks! Snap-On definitely sources their vises from Wilton. In fact, the part numbers cast into them are identical, and if you call SO for parts, they come from JPW which is the parent company for Wilton. I would have trouble putting a pretty vise on my bench, but won't knock somebody else for putting one to work :-)

Hobart Champion Elite
    Miller Thunberbolt AC/DC
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    I have a 5" Yost on the welding table and then I also have a Rock Island model 573.

I actually found two of the Rock Island in the scrap pile at a recycling center when I went to drop off a load of junk. I grabbed the two vises and threw then in the back of the truck. I ended up selling one Rock Island a few years later.
    I have the same model Rock Island...they are extremely well made vises. Some folks put them at the top of the list, and everybody else seems to think they're at the least in the top handful. Yours in really good condition so you did well to save them!

Hobart Champion Elite
    Miller Thunberbolt AC/DC
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

I have the same model Rock Island...they are extremely well made vises. Some folks put them at the top of the list, and everybody else seems to think they're at the least in the top handful. Yours in really good condition so you did well to save them!
    Thanks. I won't be selling this one, but I wonder if cleaning it to restore or repaint it would affect the value in a good or bad way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Thanks! Snap-On definitely sources their vises from Wilton. In fact, the part numbers cast into them are identical, and if you call SO for parts, they come from JPW which is the parent company for Wilton. I would have trouble putting a pretty vise on my bench, but won't knock somebody else for putting one to work :-)
    Dude, you do some nice work! I always enjoy seeing top tier restore jobs.

And you're from Michigan. Awesome!

I have the exact same vise, someone had squirted the entire thing in red and threw it in an antique shop. My father in law bought it for me a few years back for like $20. I'd love to know what it is, if there is any history etc. It is a pretty sturdy little vise so far, but I would like to find something a little more stout.
    Lincoln MP 210
    Lincoln SW 200
    Lots of hand tools- NOTHING fancy

Name:  20170117_161144.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  46.8 KB
    Snap-On/Wilton 5" with magnetic soft jaws that the magnets fell out of.... It came mounted to a used truck I bought in 97. sold truck, kept vise!
    If you want to learn no one can stop you.

Hobart Handler 175 / AHP AlphaTig 200X V4 / HF 95136 Plasma

I am looking for someone who has a Reed No. 404 1/2 Swivel Base Bench Vise with 4.5 inch jaws.
    I picked up a nice vice but am missing the lock nut and lever for the swivel base. I need measurements so I can make a replacement.

Thanks
    Dan D.
    Manipulator Of Metal

Quote Originally Posted by DanD78 View Post
    I am looking for someone who has a Reed No. 404 1/2 Swivel Base Bench Vise with 4.5 inch jaws.
    I picked up a nice vice but am missing the lock nut and lever for the swivel base. I need measurements so I can make a replacement.

Thanks
    Dan D.
    Hey Dan,

I may be able to help. Reed typically used the same parts on vises of the same jaw width, so a swivel lock from a 204 1/2R or 2C might be the same as your 404 1/2 as they all have 4.5" jaws. Unfortunately, I just sold a really nice 204 1/2R, but I still have a 2C, so it might work.

If you send me a picture of the side of the vise showing where the swivel lock goes I'll be able to tell which version it takes. Generally there is a swivel lock with a flat bottom, and another with a cone shape that fits into the body of the vise....just depends on the vintage. Typically the swivel lock body was counterbored to allow the swivel lock handle to sit flush with the side of the cylinder, and not interfere with the body of the vise. My e-mail is miviseguy@yahoo.com

Hobart Champion Elite
    Miller Thunberbolt AC/DC
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Quote Originally Posted by denrep View Post
    Still, the Rock Island and Morgan just seem too similar for a coincidence.
    Maybe Morgan's brother-in-law took the prints along when he stormed off the job.

--------

I recently bought sort of jeweler's vise, for lighter more precise work:
    Attachment 173101
    Quote Originally Posted by Mango Matto View Post
    I like this thread too, My wife didn't understand why I was so happy when I spent 65 bucks on a big rusty piece of metal.

When it comes to tools most wife's don't understand. My wife walks into my shop starts looking around and I ask her, can I help you she says no, I know she looking to see if there are any new tools in the shop. Lol