A Bench Vise Thread... - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: A Bench Vise Thread...

Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoyzz View Post
    Hey tanglediver,
    Is the Wilton you posted here the original color? I just got the one in the second pic for $60 at a flea market last weekend. I have it all apart to media blast and was wondering what the origianl color was. It's black now, but I'm thinking it was repainted some time ago.
    That is exactly how I got it. I have no idea if it is the original paint. The previous owner is a retired machinist who made lots of different jaws for it out of all kinds of material.

He also made his own sand cast vise way back when in college, which was still in use on his bench when I picked this one up. He had no intention of selling his "school project" though.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

I usually don't dig up bones, but maybe some haven't yet seen the next best ol' vise thread of:
    "Can this vise be saved?"

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=580

Last edited by denrep; 05-31-2012 at 12:17 AM.

what did you use to get the rust off and is that just solvent in the Zep can?

Quote Originally Posted by superwelder View Post
    what did you use to get the rust off and is that just solvent in the Zep can?
    Sorry Super,
    It's not my vise, project, Zep can, or thread; just thought that with over 2000 views here some vise aficionados might find it interesting.

For more details, sit down in a comfortable chair with your reading glasses and hit the link: http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=580 to enjoy twelve pages of vise vice.:
    Last edited by denrep; 05-31-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Thanks for the add Denrep.

Also, cavedweller29 didn't mention it in his posts, but the Prentiss in his first two pics of post #50 has a swiveling rear jaw. Worth mentioning as many people haven't seen that setup before.
    Applied Fabrications, LLC

Mobile Welding / Mechanical Repair in VA's Piedmont & Shenandoah Valley

That's true tbone, I'll take a couple shots of that feature and post them later today.

Ok, here is one picture with the jaw in the normal position with the retaining pin in and a second photo with the retaining pin removed and the jaw pivoted.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I reckon I'll post up my 4-1/2" Wilton. Unfortunately it"s broken, fortunately it still functions just fine.

It's set up in a plate welded to my home made receiver adapter that works on my layout table or in the trailer hitch of my welding truck.

I really need to find another vise so I don't have to keep dragging that heavy booger back and forth all the time.

You don't want to know what I paid for it.

Name:  IMG_20120531_144510.jpg
Views: 4230
Size:  56.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20120531_144630.jpg
Views: 4219
Size:  27.9 KB

Who'd have thought vises could be so interesting.
    Brian Leonard
    Appalachian Ironworks L.L.C.
    434 Long Branch Rd, Marshall, NC 28753
    828 649 9966
    828 702 0697
    brian@appironworks.com
    www.appironworks.com

For those interested on the original color for a Wilton vise. Rustoleum Hammer tone Verde green is almost a perfect match...
    http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=29

" For those interested on the original color for a Wilton vise. Rustoleum Hammer tone Verde green is almost a perfect match... "

That would not be my first choice of paint on a vice, unless you don't care.

To do a vise right you need too:

1. Prime ( yes you can do it to the rustoleum ), but why use rustoleum if you did a good couple of prime coats?
    2. Use an Autobody paint WITH a hardener or a clearcoat with hardner on top of color.

I used a Napa paint on mine one coat...color ( actually about three coats ) and then two coats of clear on the top of that. I am not saying mine is an exact match to the original Wilton but its close. if your interested I will get the color formula off the can.

yeah, an activated 2 part paint will ALWAYS be much more durable than ANYTHING you can get out of a rattle can....

I'm on the hunt now for a nice big old heavy vise, I actually just won a nice old big "rock island" vise on ebay, listed as local pickup only and the guys local to me,
    waiting for contact from the seller hoping it goes through, big old heavy american vise for $75 so yeah, I'm holding my breath until I wind up actually getting it

thing looks like a pretty heavy piece, my research tells me it's a 5.5" jaw.... here is the pics from the listing, looks pretty damn good to me for $75

miller 330a bp TIG
    miller dynasty 200DX TIG
    millermatic 185 MIG
    thermal dynamics cutmaster 101 plasma cutter
    snap-on YA5550 plasma cutter
    hypertherm powermax 30 plasma cutter
    baileigh CS225 cold saw
    etc....

Turbocad - I'll have to look again to be certain, but at a glance I believe that your Rock Island is similar enough in design to my Morgan Chicago that I'd think they must be cut from the same cloth. Maybe the Rock Island was private branded by Morgan?

The Morgan's really tough. If the wrestling gets rough enough that the vise must stand up a ton or so of workbench by the ear, so be it.

Good Luck
    Last edited by denrep; 06-01-2012 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by denrep View Post
    Turbocad - I'll have to look again to be certain, but at a glance I believe that your Rock Island is similar enough in design to my Morgan Chicago that I'd think they must be cut from the same cloth. Maybe the Rock Island was private branded by Morgan?

The Morgan's really tough. If the wrestling gets rough enough that the vise must stand up a ton or so of workbench by the ear, so be it.

Good Luck
    All my "big" vises have a tongue under the movable jaw.

My 5X Parker on the big steel table...

Name:  IMG_2962.JPG
Views: 4201
Size:  39.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2963.JPG
Views: 4192
Size:  34.4 KB

An old American Red Seal No 64 that I picked up when a friend passed away...

Name:  IMG_2965.JPG
Views: 4200
Size:  60.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2964.JPG
Views: 4191
Size:  40.2 KB

My grandfathers Reed No. 203 1/2 3 1/2" vise...

Name:  IMG_2976.JPG
Views: 4183
Size:  30.3 KB

Oh and I owe you a beating for posting that vise thread a few posts back. Someone left out the last chapter! That's about as bad as reading a good book series and having the author die before he gets the last volume finished.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Still, the Rock Island and Morgan just seem too similar for a coincidence.
    Maybe Morgan's brother-in-law took the prints along when he stormed off the job.

--------

I recently bought sort of jeweler's vise, for lighter more precise work:
    Name:  BigWilly.jpg
Views: 4170
Size:  109.3 KB
    Last edited by denrep; 06-01-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Only pic I have. Just after making up some new soft jaws.

This one weighed in at 106 Pounds.

I usually don't dig up bones, but maybe some haven't yet seen the next best ol' vise thread of:
    "Can this vise be saved?"
    ~~~~~
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=580
    The thread has been quiet, you know, being closed and all?!? Who knows if it ever gave up the rust, or the ghost?

Very diverting thread denrep!
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

You didn't hear it from me, but the rest of that vise's story is continued on another site.

Good hunting gents!
    Last edited by gimpyrobb; 06-03-2012 at 12:39 AM.

Found this little guy at a garage sale this weekend. I'm gonna clean it up and throw some paint on it, then put it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mango Matto View Post
    Found this little guy at a garage sale this weekend. I'm gonna clean it up and throw some paint on it, then put it to work.

Nice score. Reed makes a REALLY nice quality vise. I have been looking for one for awhile, but they either are too small, too expensive, too far away, too beat up etc. etc. The one you have is the exact size I'm looking for. My dad has a colossal Rock Island vise (20+ inches and well over 100lbs.) which will be mine one day so I'm only looking for a medium/heavy duty compact vise for my welding table.

I did get this from a guy I work with, but I really need something that's a bit more stout in the jaw area since I do alot of bumper builds.

Here's mine - a classic Craftsman 506-51810, made in U.S.A., with jaws a little bit over 5" wide. This is my second classic craftsman vice of about this size, and they have both worked well for me.

Here's another bigun.
    Reed #33, patent dates 12/24/12 and 8/11/14
    Name:  ReedVise.jpg
Views: 3958
Size:  139.1 KB
    Still in service, just outdoors under tarp most of the time; waiting on a big break.

As much time as vise builders spent at the patent office, it's a wonder they were able to build any vises.
    I mean, what was the need for all the patent protection with vises?
    Just build the thing, okay?

I don't recall exactly where Reed hails from, but now that I've spotted some remnants of olive drab in the picture,
    I wonder if Reed may be AWOL -excuse me, liberated - from government service.

Good Luck
    Last edited by denrep; 06-06-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Here's another bigun.
    Reed #33, patent dates 12/24/12 and 8/11/14
    Name:  ReedVise.jpg
Views: 3958
Size:  139.1 KB
    Still in service, just outdoors under tarp most of the time; waiting on a big break.

As much time as vise builders spent at the patent office, it's a wonder they were able to build any vises.
    I mean, what was the need for all the patent protection with vises?
    Just build the thing, okay?

I don't recall exactly where Reed hails from, but now that I've spotted some remnants of olive drab in the picture,
    I wonder if Reed may be AWOL -excuse me, liberated - from government service.

Good Luck
    That's a nice vise you have there sir!!

Are the jaws soft on that unit or do they have knarl marks?
    I went and looked at a Reed the other day, but didn't get it because the jaws were ground flush clean, and were not removeable. I know you can drill and tap it and put a set of new jaws on, but I didn't want to go that route.
    Last edited by toomanytoyzz; 06-06-2012 at 11:27 PM.

My wife just told me she can't understand looking at a vise thread or why I keep showing her.

This is one thread I look for when I log in. Tom

Toomanytoyzz - I had thought that the Reed's jaws were knurled, or whatever "teeth" on vise jaws are called.
    But now that you aks, I'm not so sure.

Name:  ReedViseJaws.jpg
Views: 3925
Size:  83.3 KB

Tec - Apologies to your wife for keeping her waiting. Let her know that I'll take a closer look at the jaws and then report back ASAP.

Good Luck
    Last edited by denrep; 06-07-2012 at 12:15 AM.