A Bench Vise Thread... - Page 4
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: A Bench Vise Thread...

Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoyzz View Post
    . . .I went and looked at a Reed the other day, but didn't get it because the jaws were ground flush clean, and were not removable. . . .
    The reply #72 Reed has "teeth" but the jaws also seem to be in the non-removable class too.
    Name:  ViseJaw.jpg
Views: 3549
Size:  59.1 KB

I'm not sure if the jaws pinned or brazed or what?
    Last edited by denrep; 06-09-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tec View Post
    My wife just told me she can't understand looking at a vise thread or why I keep showing her.

This is one thread I look for when I log in. Tom
    I like this thread too, My wife didn't understand why I was so happy when I spent 65 bucks on a big rusty piece of metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mango Matto View Post
    I like this thread too, My wife didn't understand why I was so happy when I spent 65 bucks on a big rusty piece of metal.
    Chicks !!!!!
    Miller thunderbolt 250
    Decastar 135E
    Recovering tool-o-holic
    ESAB OA
    I have been interested or involved in Electrical, Fire Alarm, Auto, Marine, Welding, Electronics ETC to name a just a few. So YES you can own too many tools.

Quote Originally Posted by fredschrom View Post
    To do a vise right you need too:

1. Prime ( yes you can do it to the rustoleum ), but why use rustoleum if you did a good couple of prime coats?
    2. Use an Autobody paint WITH a hardener or a clearcoat with hardner on top of color.

I used a Napa paint on mine one coat...color ( actually about three coats ) and then two coats of clear on the top of that. I am not saying mine is an exact match to the original Wilton but its close. if your interested I will get the color formula off the can.
    NAPA paint is the KMart of automotive paint. I would use any quality single stage "out of the can" paint to shoot a VISE. It will make touchups that much easier.

It's a VISE guys. It's main purpose is to secure objects into it and use a plethora of heavy metal tools with points/jagged edges/grinding wheels etc. to remove, repair, and replace said objects.

If you want to restore a vise and stick it on the shelf I'd say media blast it, sand it with a 36 grit wheel and use body filler to get it baby smooth clean (I've actually seen people do this). After that shoot it with epoxy primer, follwed by your high build 2K. A few rounds of BS tedious blocking, you'll be ready for your sealer coat before basecoat and clearcoat. After shooting your last coat of clear let it bake on. After it dries you are ready to color sand and polish. This is goingto be next to impossible to perform correctly, but have at it. Finally polish and get it ready for the next VISE SHOW.

I know guys, I'm bored tonight.

Going to pick this up tomorrow morning (Charles Parker). It's gonna be worth the 1 1/2 hour drive. Got it with the table for $60. I'm going to repurpose the table for my chop was to make room on my welding table.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

NAPA paint is the KMart of automotive paint. I would use any quality single stage "out of the can" paint to shoot a VISE. It will make touchups that much easier.

It's a VISE guys. It's main purpose is to secure objects into it and use a plethora of heavy metal tools with points/jagged edges/grinding wheels etc. to remove, repair, and replace said objects.

If you want to restore a vise and stick it on the shelf I'd say media blast it, sand it with a 36 grit wheel and use body filler to get it baby smooth clean (I've actually seen people do this). After that shoot it with epoxy primer, follwed by your high build 2K. A few rounds of BS tedious blocking, you'll be ready for your sealer coat before basecoat and clearcoat. After shooting your last coat of clear let it bake on. After it dries you are ready to color sand and polish. This is goingto be next to impossible to perform correctly, but have at it. Finally polish and get it ready for the next VISE SHOW.

I know guys, I'm bored tonight.
    I missed the last vise show!!! When's the next one?
    Syncrowave 250
    MM130

" It's a VISE guys. It's main purpose is to secure objects into it and use a plethora of heavy metal tools with points/jagged edges/grinding wheels etc. to remove, repair, and replace said objects. "

Exactly, but I hate rust, and the one I spent the time painting is hanging on a swing arm off the back of my truck. I also haven't found the spraycan paint too durable against dings, it chips too easy, which makes you need to go buy another can and do touch up.

I also never saw the point in doing body putty on old vises, just going to chip out sooner or later, I use my vises and I clean and service them once, then its use them.

An old pic of my 6' Paramo, I've since beat most of the paint off it.

If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Damn you people! Now every time I get on the computer I am searching craigslist and ebay for vises. I have a few good vises already but now have it stuck in my head that I need a >100lb monster. My gf does not understand why we are going to be driving 3 hrs after a vise this weekend. haha
    Miller millermatic 251
    Miller aircrafter 330st, wp20
    1961 Lincoln SA200
    Ellis 1600 bandsaw
    Logan 820 lathe
    South Bend 13"
    Bridgeport M Head

A friend gave me this big ole vise. I just need to finish my big table to mount it on.

Quote Originally Posted by lik2waterski View Post
    A friend gave me this big ole vise. I just need to finish my big table to mount it on.
    Does that vise have a name on it anywhere? It looks similar to a fixed-base later model Reed. Very nice piece.
    Applied Fabrications, LLC

Mobile Welding / Mechanical Repair in VA's Piedmont & Shenandoah Valley

thats what you call a friend. lol

Yes it is a REED. I believe model 104? I'll check tomorrow.

And yes, he is a very good friend!

Anyone familiar with Trojan vise? I found one here at a flea market for $10. Thinking of picking it up regardless for that price. Its a 70....something. 705, maybe 708...703? Hard to read.
    Miller Diversion 180
    Hobart Handler 140 (Soon to be replaced with Miller 211?)
    Miller Spectrum 625 Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
    Anyone familiar with Trojan vise? I found one here at a flea market for $10. Thinking of picking it up regardless for that price. Its a 70....something. 705, maybe 708...703? Hard to read.
    Is it big? If so it may be a Charles Parker vise. Here's a pic of a 706 series Trojan. I'd love to get one of those puppies for my bench.

I'd get it either way. If it's a working older American made vise for $10 you can't go wrong.

Which flea market are you at? I may hop in my ride and take a trek up 95N to Sesame Placeville...lol!!!

Its supposedly "quite large" - though that is relative

My mother is hitting a flea market some where down near the boulevard and called saying they have a vise there
    Last edited by Jon K; 06-15-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    Miller Diversion 180

Its supposedly "quite large" - though that is relative

My mother is hitting a flea market some where down near the boulevard and called saying they have a vise there
    If its the same style she better hope that the seller will walk it to her car. I could just see my mom trying to carry one half the size of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by lik2waterski View Post
    Yes it is a REED. I believe model 104?
    Judging by your tape measure, maybe a 107 or 108...
    Applied Fabrications, LLC

Mobile Welding / Mechanical Repair in VA's Piedmont & Shenandoah Valley

If its the same style she better hope that the seller will walk it to her car. I could just see my mom trying to carry one half the size of that one.
    Haha - i think the person did help as it was still bolted to a bench.

She just got back to me and approximates 3.5 - 4" jaws. Not huge, but for $10... who can argue?
    Miller Diversion 180

Haha - i think the person did help as it was still bolted to a bench.

She just got back to me and approximates 3.5 - 4" jaws. Not huge, but for $10... who can argue?
    Pics!!!

They only look nice once. I just re-painted three -- all the same (non-factory) color:

The biggest is a 1765, which was made in 2004 and has 6-1/2" jaws.

This is a C1 with 4-1/2" jaws. I think it's from 1989.

This is a 9450, which has 4-1/2" jaws and was made in 1973.

The bad thing about Wiltons is that they've become kind of over-valued on the market. There are other good American-made vises that won't command the high 'fad' prices Wilton's are getting now. The good thing about Wiltons is that they're a pretty decent American-made vise, and they have a cool and distinct design to them.
    Last edited by Jack Olsen; 06-15-2012 at 03:23 PM.
    Jack Olsen
    My garage website

Pics!!!
    Alright so I got the vise - it was $5 because she bought a couple other things. She spent $35 there so they gave her $5 off the vise. It was an estate sale not a flea market I apologize.

I got it from her truck and threw it in the bead blaster:

$5 Trojan Vise by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

Not done yet, need to clean up a little more before painting. What color should I do?

Also - the image that shows the single jaw - is that supposed to be that way? Looks like a repair but I cannot find a crack at all (there's nothing on the underside). Looks like some grinding on the casting or something, or a repair. Not sure. If its a repair it is damned good because on the bottom where the jaw slides there is not a trace of anything.
    Miller Diversion 180

Also - the image that shows the single jaw - is that supposed to be that way? Looks like a repair but I cannot find a crack at all (there's nothing on the underside). Looks like some grinding on the casting or something, or a repair. Not sure. If its a repair it is damned good because on the bottom where the jaw slides there is not a trace of anything.
    It looks like it was repaired at some time. You can see a bunch of pirosity in the welds. For $5 you still did good. Is it stamped Chas. Parker on the other side of the static jaw? What color???
    Last edited by toomanytoyzz; 06-15-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Yeah it does look like welds, but on the underside there's no grind marks or machining done to true up the bottom... and no crack. Strange.

Nope, no letters in the casting on the opposite side. There's one on ebay for $60 or so, so I guess $5 is ok lol
    Miller Diversion 180

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    The bad thing about Wiltons is that they've become kind of over-valued on the market. There are other good American-made vises that won't command the high 'fad' prices Wilton's are getting now. The good thing about Wiltons is that they're a pretty decent American-made vise, and they have a cool and distinct design to them.
    I totally agree. They are great stout vises, but I think the styling is its biggest downfall. Because of the closed lead screw design it hinders you from putting certain larger items in the jaws effectively.

I just picked up a >100# Chas. Parker for less than a third of what a 25# bullet would cost. I'm gonna be putting mine on fleebay in the next couple of weeks after I five it a quick blast, lube and paint to help fund a Baldor bench grinder.