Upgrade F162 to F163?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Upgrade F162 to F163?

I see in the specs that the compression ratio (before carbon build-up) for the F162 in my new-to-me 1954 SA200 was about 6.0:1, while for the F163 it was about 7.4:1. I might do an overhaul on this engine, and it would be silly to miss any useful upgrades I can make to it while it's apart. All else being equal, increased compression yields better fuel efficiency, among other effects. Flatheads tend to be gas-guzzlers, and being able to run longer before refueling is always desireable. Would anyone here familiar with both engine models care to advise me on upgrades that will help an F162?

Incidently, my machine has the Wico X magneto, which evidently is not found on many of these rigs, and isn't much discussed. It might prove to work fine (I got the welder for $200, and am doing some preliminary fix-up before I try starting and running it).

Well, here's another question. My machine evidently did not have a pressurized cooling system, but does have quite a big heavy radiator for an engine that size, at least by automotive standards. I know it's heavy because I just took it off the machine and boiled it out in a caustic soda hot-tank. In the sticky I saw reference to a 7lb pressure cap; was that being suggested for use on a factory non-pressure system? Was the non-pressure system marginal for cooling? I see somebody selling eight-blade fans (mine is a 4-blade) . . . .
    Last edited by old jupiter; 05-16-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Re: Upgrade F162 to F163?

I cannot speak about the advantages of upgrading, but I can tell you that I have 2 sa's with the 162, and they run fine as is.
    Bruce DeLaet
    Heavy Equipment Mechanic and Welder

1948 SA-200 short hood
    1949 LincWelder 180
    1963 SA-200 red face
    Miller S-32-P

F163 is straight bolt up did mine in1983. Bought 1954 short hood in 1975 for $600.00. In '83 lost oil pressure pulled pan crankshaft in caps almost . Friend gave me short block to rebuild for payment on his truck repair. Only thing I can tell is F182 hand cranks easier than 163. Only upgrades I know is replace carb and if mag works use it. but first chance get spare FMC mag. I have spare on hand new points condenser. I am running same radiator that came from factory been pathed several times but works ok.

Sorry 162 not 182

Thanks, DeLaet and Henslee. Thought I'd get more reaction on this, but I do appreciate your input.

Bruce, I don't disagree that the F162 is perfectly adequate. But as long as I'm going to the effort to pull the engine and rebuild it anyway, my notion is that by updating it at least with the higher compression of the F163, I should get detectably improved fuel efficiency. I dislike having to refuel in the middle of a job.

Henslee, that's good to know that your radiator keeps up with the somewhat higher output of the new engine. I'd still like to hear whether my big old non-pressurized radiator, which seems to be sound, should get a low-pressure cap (and that 8-blade fan!) or just be left as-is. Either way, a small coolant upgrade, adding Redline Water Wetter to the 50:50 distilled water and antifreeze as I do with any engine nowdays, might help a little.