Large nut insert tool
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Large nut insert tool

Anyone here come across a cheap alternative for large nut insert fitting?
    I'm fitting some M10 inserts but, my tool, only goes to M8....cost of a new one is bloody silly.
    I've got a 5/16" hand rivet tool and, considered making something to modify the thing for nut inserts but, would hate to screw the thing.
    Any constructive input appreciated.
    CIG 320SP pulse mig
    Mitech ACDC315P
    Samson 510 CNC plasma table
    Hypertherm 85
    Etc, etc,etc.

"You don't stop laughing when you get old....You get old when you stop laughing".

Re: Large nut insert tool

HI Mick
    here is a nutsert tool I build for instlling nutserts. If you want more info give me your email and I can send you a pdf file on how I built it with pictures.

have fun
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by acourtjester; 05-17-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Jesters setup is pretty nice, however if you need a down and dirty quick setup can be made with two steel 30 degree wedges with a slot milled in them for the bolt. Use a heavy duty clamp to pull them together. As the steel wedges are drawn together they get wider and pull the riv-nut into shape. Think a machinist parallel if that helps. There are also commercial versions of these as well, but not too hard to make one.
    "Anybody can talk $h!t behind a monitor, I let the quality of my work speak for itself"

Lincoln Square Wave 255 and 355 Tig
    Lincoln 255 Power-Mig w/ spool gun
    Koike 5 x 10 CNC plasma
    Hyd-Mech DM-10 bandsaw
    Ineco QB-76 NC tube bender

Here is a slightly different version of what I described. Also Jester should post those for all to see if he has them, I'm sure others would like to save a few ucks on the tool and that looks like a great setup.
    "Anybody can talk $h!t behind a monitor, I let the quality of my work speak for itself"

Lincoln Square Wave 255 and 355 Tig
    Lincoln 255 Power-Mig w/ spool gun
    Koike 5 x 10 CNC plasma
    Hyd-Mech DM-10 bandsaw
    Ineco QB-76 NC tube bender

Great ideas both of em.
    I know it's not exactly rocket science to pull an insert but, the price the mongrels want for a tool is outrageous.
    I do have an Italian FAR tool that I bought at auction for bugger all but, it only goes to 8mm.
    Thanks again guys.
    CIG 320SP pulse mig
    Mitech ACDC315P
    Hypertherm 85
    Etc, etc,etc.

"You don't stop laughing when you get old....You get old when you stop laughing".

While it's not 100% fool proof I've run my fair share with nothing more than a standard hex nut or two that's oversize for the thread and a bolt the size that fits the insert.

Just slide the oversize nut over the bolt, thread the insert onto the bolt (preferably with some lube), put in the hole, use a wrench to hold the oversize nut and another wrench to turn the bolt.

Actually a good quality piece of threaded rod works even better than a bolt.

With care it works pretty well. I have had a few get a little cocked when run up and grab onto the bolt but not often.

I do like both of the ideas above as well.
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Miller The Legend AEAD200LE
    Miller Trailblazer 302 EFI
    Optima Pulser
    XR feeder and XR Edge gun
    and more at
    http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Before I saw Tom & Coupe's ideas, when I ordered the inserts (minimum order 100....) I also ordered a cheap alternative to the expensive tool, actually a lot like Toms. (pic attached)
    D!ckheads sent me one for M6 threads.....of course, that made a lot of sense considering I ordered M10 inserts.....I sent it back and will copy Toms idea.
    Oh yeah, plus the tool they sent isn't a multi fit....No siree....Each one made to fit one size only....cunning mongrels.
    CIG 320SP pulse mig
    Mitech ACDC315P
    Hypertherm 85
    Etc, etc,etc.