Solar Eclipse and welding helmet
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Solar Eclipse and welding helmet

I did a search as was unable to find anything regarding autodarkening helmets and the upcoming solar eclipse. All of the websites I have check recommend a 14 shade for viewing but most of the autodarkening helmets only go up to 13. What is the difference between a 13 shade and 14 shade? And is a 13 shade adequate for eye protection when looking at a solar eclipse?

Gotta be better than a piece of paper w a hole in it. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337303301.715388.jpg
Views: 35043
Size:  20.7 KB
    Hammer
    File
    Big Hammer
    ------------------------------
    Here, let me Google that for you...

Re: Solar Eclipse and welding helmet

I've been looking too - I did see one article that said "shade 13-14" but that's only one out of dozens. Don't know that I trust it when everything else says shade 14. Air arc needs a 14 too...
    The family toys:
    Miller Maxstar 150 S, with TIG
    GoWeld baby wirefeed
    Oxy/Acetylene rig

10 shade with sunglasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    10 shade with sunglasses.
    no......

Quote Originally Posted by smokin_dodge View Post
    no......
    Then use a pinhole

i would recommend those, thats the same as welding inspectors are using!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LayoutMan; 05-18-2012 at 05:44 PM.
    Calculator > Bevel Square

shade 10 or 11 in a pair of cutting goggles should be fine!

...although if you stare at it for 8 hours...people might ask you, "Why do you have a white rectangle on your face?" The next day...

Is an eclipse somehow brighter than the normal sun?

About a twelve should be about right.

Keeping the hood triggered is the problem. Neither of mine will stay triggered with sunlight alone. Flash dark, yes, but stay triggered -no.

One hood you can look at the sun while pointing an IR remote at one sensor and it'll trigger and at a shade ten it seems like it might be a little light. Do the same with the other and a 13 seems like it will be too dark. Between 11 and twelve might do it.

Remember, with a hood the harmfull rays are already blocked. The brightness is all you need to worry about.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    One hood you can look at the sun while pointing an IR remote at one sensor and it'll trigger...
    IR remotes transmit in pulses, not a steady light, so the hood will probably pulse on and off faster than you can tell, letting strong light through.
    Welding/Fab Pics: www.UtahWeld.com

One hood you can look at the sun while pointing an IR remote at one sensor and it'll trigger...
    IR remotes transmit in pulses, not a steady light, so the hood will might pulse on and off faster than you can tell, letting strong light through, (unless the hood has an off-delay set).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGyver View Post
    IR remotes transmit in pulses, not a steady light, so the hood will probably pulse on and off faster than you can tell, letting strong light through.
    Infrared light is no different than visible light except for having a longer wavelength--lower frequency. It has no pulsing, unless you're referring to the crests of the sine curve, or are talking about specific sources such as some distant stars which pulse; I don't know what wavelengths they emit.

Is an eclipse somehow brighter than the normal sun?

About a twelve should be about right.

Keeping the hood triggered is the problem. Neither of mine will stay triggered with sunlight alone. Flash dark, yes, but stay triggered -no.

One hood you can look at the sun while pointing an IR remote at one sensor and it'll trigger and at a shade ten it seems like it might be a little light. Do the same with the other and a 13 seems like it will be too dark. Between 11 and twelve might do it.

Remember, with a hood the harmfull rays are already blocked. The brightness is all you need to worry about.
    Until the sun is fully eclipsed, one is looking at the sun or parts of it; the intensity is essentially the same, the area seen just decreases and then increases. The difference this time is that, because the moon is further from earth, it won't fully block the sun and a ring of direct sunlight will circle the 'shadowed' moon.

I don't know what shade is needed but would think that using a #5 lens (as from OA goggles) inside an autodarkening hood, then adjusting the hood from the highest setting down as needed, should result in a level which protects the eyes while allowing enough light to see something.

Use Gas welding goggles with your eyes closed. That should be safe enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    Infrared light is no different than visible light except for having a longer wavelength--lower frequency. It has no pulsing, unless you're referring to the crests of the sine curve, or are talking about specific sources such as some distant stars which pulse; I don't know what wavelengths they emit.
    No I'm saying the IR led is literally turning on and off, that's how the information is digitally encoded.

You don't want your auto hood doing this too.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGyver View Post
    No I'm saying the IR led is literally turning on and off, that's how the information is digitally encoded.

You don't want your auto hood doing this too.
    I don't understand that; if the IR source from the sun is constant, the sensor should be acting the same as if the light were produced by welding, it's signal maybe even more uniform because welding on AC does have current pulses. If the hood works right with welding, it should do so here too.

As for the electronics of the hood, I'd think the sensor output, if not 'constant' when the light is, would feed to a capacitor to average it's output, or perhaps some other part of the circuit would do the same thing. Why use digital encoding if analog works fine? I'm not sure how these mechanics would make a difference in this situation though. Is there something I'm missing? I don't claim to be an electronics expert.

I dont have an auto hood so it wont be a problem but cant you guys just change the auto lense out to the old fashioned type?Duct tape one on? Also, I was wondering about a flash from a neighboring weldor, wont that trigger your shade when you dont want it?

Layout man, those are some groovy inspector shades.

Sandy, according to Huygens principle www.mathpages.com/home/kmath242/kmath242.htm it might be hotter/brighter than normal at the edges but over all I would think not.

What I dont get is, what happens to the dark side of the Moon? The Moon always faces us the same way and we never see the dark side so during the eclipse wont the dark side be lit up?

Most of the hoods 'un-latch' much slower than they trigger so I doubt it would be a problem. I imagine these remotes use some pulse code over an IR carrier frequency leaving you with a wide fuzzy line on a scope if you look at a band width. Sure there may be some technical on-off if singling out one particular frequency but not so much so when observing the whole band width created by the pulsing.

Besides whatever happens with an IR remote it has to be faster than MIG short circuit.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

The Huygens principle has alot of mumbojumbo so I will try to xplain why the edges are brighter.
    Light travels/propagates in waves. If you build a small dam for a stream and the stream starts to over flow then the overflow is like the edge of the eclipse. The Moon is like the dam , at the edges is the overflow plus the reg flow together therefore it is brighter. Think of this, when the Sun sets completely below the horizon, you can still see the overflow. I hope I made some sense and dont sound like a lunatic fringe but thats the best i could do.
    BTW the name of our moon is the Moon. Other planets have moons but different names.

On previous viewing I found that two ten shades stacked were too dark. A ten and five was about right. Ten was on the bright and uncomfortable side.
    The safest is using a pinhole then allowing the light to be projected onto another piece of black paper preferred. You do not look through the pin hole. You use the pinhole to project the light onto a dark surface much like a pinhole camera.

Sounds like a 14 or close combination is the best way if you wanna stare at it. I would reccomend on not dwelling on it but looking towards the side instead of dead centre. That way it only burns into the side of your EYE for a little while

The pics were taken about 6:05pm Pacific today. This is the way I will see it. I found that 1/4 inch clean pin hole hole worked the best for me. Use cardboard, sheetrock, tin roof, whatever. Why would you wanna wear a welding helmet if your not welding? You should be welding

Time to shut up and weld something! Actually , more like grinding and swweaping

Grinding and sweeping can wait for spelling class.

Glasses and fixed hood it is!
    Last edited by tanglediver; 05-19-2012 at 11:43 PM.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    I don't understand that; if the IR source from the sun is constant, the sensor should be acting the same as if the light were produced by welding, it's signal maybe even more uniform because welding on AC does have current pulses. If the hood works right with welding, it should do so here too.

As for the electronics of the hood, I'd think the sensor output, if not 'constant' when the light is, would feed to a capacitor to average it's output, or perhaps some other part of the circuit would do the same thing. Why use digital encoding if analog works fine? I'm not sure how these mechanics would make a difference in this situation though. Is there something I'm missing? I don't claim to be an electronics expert.
    lol ok I see what you mean. If the sun actually triggers the auto darkening you're fine, but I think it won't on some auto hoods. I'm just saying you wouldn't want your lens turning on and off every milisecond with the IR remote code.
    A solid shade 11 or so filter will work just fine. It's what I'm going to take if I go watch the eclipse.
    Last edited by MikeGyver; 05-20-2012 at 06:48 AM.

Tanglethat picture is off the hook I love it! The sky in the background looks like an overcast from an eclipse. I have the same hard hat

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    Tanglethat picture is off the hook I love it! The sky in the background looks like an overcast from an eclipse. I have the same hard hat
    http://wearecontrollingtransmission....on-mutant.html

"The Outer Limits!"
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."

Danny

We had half the block outside and everyone around here passing around two of my fixed hoods, both with shade thirteen lenses!
    The moon started low and a bit to the right of center on the sun, then moved upward. Just about done with the show right now. Good stuff.

Edit:- My Speedglas 9100XX wasn't worth spit!

Danny