tig torch question
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

tig torch question

Hello!

I am using air cooling tig torch ck17, and I can not use stubby collets, cups,itc . What torch schuld I get ?, will I be able to get air cooling torch for 180 ams, or I have to go to water cooling torch?

By the way, did any body build water cooler for tig? if yes what parts did you use, how does it work? what are the specification for those cooler? (?gph pump, ?psi, rediator size?)

Thank you

ziggy
    zbigniew kociolek

Air cooled at 180 amps is NUTS! You use a lot more Argon keeping an air cooled torch cool than you need with a water cooled torch to keep the weldpool covered.

Building a cooler is simple the one I'm currently building uses the condensor coil and fan from a JetSpray counter cooler, a stainless Coke syrup can for a reservoir, and a Little Giant pump.
    The water solonoid on the machine will be bypassed, so the pump circulates constantly thru the torch.
    You don't need to worry about pressure, the main concern is that the pump will have sufficient head to service the torch when the torch is at maximum elevation above the cooler.
    Dexcool & demineralized water is the coolant that will be used on this one.
    Appreciation Gains You Recognition-

motordoctor Guest
    Are you using a submerged little giant pump?

YUP...........
    Discharging via one of the tank connectors, slightly modified to accomodate a hose barb. Then fluid goes thru the torch, and back to the bottom of the condenser coil, and returns to the tank.

Thank you for advice , it will help me a lot.
    What size litlle giant pump did you use (hp)?

thank you
    zbigniew kociolek

I checked those little giant pump, they have also available pump with the thank about one gallon fluid (condensate pump) 1/5 hp.
    Do you think that will be enough?

thanks
    zbigniew kociolek

Ziggy my only advise is to reitterate what Franz said make sure you use demineralized (aka distilled or deionized water) when charging or adding water to the system, dexcool is a fine product there are other that will work fine.
    Ron

ShopFloorTalk

Millermatic 350P, M-25, M-40 guns
    Dynasty 300DX, Coolmate 3, Crafter CS-310 Torch
    Trailblazer 302, 12RC, WC-24
    30A spoolgun
    Spectrum 2050

Thermal Arc Plasma Welder PS-3000/WC-100B

I plan on using a stainless tub with a 2-pass double row radiator rated at 6270 BTU per hour. The radiator's dimensions are 12" x 5.75" x 2". I am going to run two 120mm fans with a shroud. I am planning on using a small 1/4 HP submerged pump. I think this will cool my PT 185 just fine.

Josh, Not enough coil & too much pump = bad cooling. You need a certain amount of hang time in heat exchange for the heat to move to and from the fluid. Fluid moving too fast doesn't transferr heat. Also, a 1/4hp submerged pump sounds like a sump pump. You really want to minimize discharge restriction on submerged pumps, or you'll eat the seal.

The pump I used on this one is a little bigger than my fist. I looked at it today, but can't find any label. Without measuring, I'd say it's about 100 gal per hour of pump capacity. I may just do some volume checking with a torch in the fluid circuit and see how much juice is actually flowing, next week. I did slap a pressure gague on the discharge, and with clear water, the pump is producing 7psi.

zkociolek I'd stay away from the condensate pump units, there are plenty of cheap submersibles on ePay, and you get a lot better performence from a submersible than you do from the mini sump pumps in the condensate units.

motordoctor Guest
    Something like this one?

Epoxy coated die-cast aluminum housing
    Oil-filled motor
    11.8' maximum lift
    100 watts
    1/4" MNPT discharge
    Thermal overload protection
    For submersible use only
    Motor — 1/40 HP Oil Filled
    Intermittent Liquid Temp up to — 120° F
    Intake — Hooded/Screened
    Discharge — 1/4" MNPT
    Housing — Epoxy coated cast aluminum
    Cover — Epoxy coated cast aluminum
    Volute — Nylon
    Impeller — Nylon
    Shaft Seal — Nitrile
    Screen — Polypropylene
    Small submersible oil-filled pump with epoxy coated cast aluminum housing. For commercial, industrial and
    home applications including statuary fountains, water displays, air conditioners, machine tool coolants, and
    many other applications where liquid must be transferred or recirculated. This compact 300 GPH pump features
    a 1/4"MNPTdischarge, 11.8' shut-off head capability, and screened inlet.
    2E-N Series
    Construction
    Submersibles
    U C
    Attached Images Attached Images  

motordoctor Guest
    Features

Epoxy coated die-cast aluminum housing
    Oil-filled motor
    7.4' maximum lift
    70 watts
    1/4" MNPT discharge
    Thermal overload protection
    (except 501003)
    For submersible use only
    Motor — 1/150 HP Oil Filled
    Intermittent Liquid Temp. up to — 120° F
    Intake — N/A
    Discharge — 1/4" MNPT
    Housing — Epoxy coated cast aluminum
    Cover — Epoxy coated cast aluminum
    Volute — Polypropylene
    Impeller — Polypropylene
    Shaft Seal — Nitrile
    Screen — Polypropylene
    Small submersible oil-filled pump with epoxy coated cast aluminum housing. For commercial, industrial and
    home applications including statuary fountains, water displays, air conditioners, machine tool coolants, and
    many other applications where liquid must be transferred or recirculated. This compact 205 GPH pump features
    a 1/4"MNPTdischarge, 7.4' shut-off head capability, and screened inlet.
    #1 Series
    Construction
    Submersibles
    U C

The square style LG pump.
    The round ones are very disappointing in terms of life. Those round ones were supposed to be designed for draining puddles, but unless they remain submerged the damn motors overheat and the unit cooks in short time.

short collets for 17 series

"I am using air cooling tig torch ck17, and I can not use stubby collets, cups,itc . What torch schuld I get ?"

Actually stubby collets are available for the 17 series torch. CK Worldwide produces a collet and collet body that allows you to use the 20 series tig cups.
    http://www.ckworldwide.com/3_series.pdf

link is for all consumables for the 17 series. Best of luck, BW

This is the pump I'm using

Franz

What kind of coil did you use?

The coil is about a foot square 3 pass with an 8" fan behind it. It was originally the condensor coil for a Jet Spray countertop beverage cooler.
    Another good source of coils isd from all the dehumidifiers that are free for the pickup from Curbside Supply.
    I pump trisodiumphosphate thru em for a day or so to remove all the refridgeration oil and blow the fins out good with an air hose.

OlPilot Guest
    All the pumps pictured are fully submersible and were basically designed to pump water off swimming pool covers. I've got two or three of them. You can find them online at any swimming pool chemical and parts supplier or you can buy one at your local swimming pool (ice rink if you're Canadian) supplier, like Leslies, etc. They are around $50-$60.

I've got a round pump, identical to the one pictured, which Franz doesn't like. But mine has been absolutely bulletproof for over 10 years. Admittedly, I haven't used it to cool a tig torch, but countless times I have forgotten it and it has run dry on my pool cover overnight without overheating. Mine takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. Franz must have gotten a Monday or Friday one.

OP remember my personal codicyl to Murphy's Law; 10,000 manufactured I will get one of the 2 bad ones out of the batch, and there won't be a good one available for 100 miles.