Bobcat 250 fuel issues?!?!
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Bobcat 250 fuel issues?!?!

My bobcat 250 has been sitting for a while and from what I can tell, my issue is the fuel system is no longer primed. I say this for a few reasons- for one, when i look into the fuel filter in the hose from the tank to the pump i see air, and also because if i pour a little bit of fuel down the carb the machine will run for a moment then shut off of course. My machine has a Kohler on it, and has a fuel pump driven by crankcase pulses??? How do I prime this thing again?!?!

Thanks for all the help!

Re: Bobcat 250 fuel issues?!?!

There will always be "some" air in the fuel filter, at least on mine there always has. My guess would be your pump is not working. I would take the fuel line loose and turn the engine over and see if fuel shoots out in pulses. If it doesn't then you might need a new diaphragm in the pump. You shouldn;t have to prime the system.
    I'm a Lover, Fighter, Wild horse Rider, and a pretty good welding man......

After looking again, the filter is pretty much entirely air. 3/4 of a tank of fuel in the machine, and i have blown air down through the feed line and filter to be certain it is not clogged... So the fuel pump is the prime suspect now.

Thanks for the help!! I may be asking for more guidance as this continues

Hang a temporary tank ABOVE the carb and let it gravity feed. If it runs, its your fuel pump. Another thing I would do is remove the line before the fuel pump and hold it lower than the tank. Fuel should run out. My dad has a bobcat, if I remember right the tank is in the bottom. You could also buy an electric LOW PRESSURE fuel pump if yours is bad. The new lincolns come with an electric pump hooked to the oil pressure switrch so if the motor stops, the fuel pump will stop too.

Good luck
    David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

As it turns out, the fuel shutoff solenoid on the carb had gotten gummed up. Its just an electromagnet with a rod, rod is pulled back to let fuel in when the power is on. Cleaned off the rod, put it back together, and off and running!

Can you take a picture of it for reference? A friend was having a similar issue, I wonder if that is also his problem.
    John
    - fabricator extraordinaire, car nut!
    - bleeding Miller blue!

http://www.weldfabzone.com

Well, a picture I dont have, but a detailed explaination I can do for you!

Once you get the entire air cleaner assembly out of the way (base and all), you will be able to clearly see the carb. On the side of the carb towards the end of the welder you will see a black device with 2 wires going to it. There is the evil fuel cut solenoid! Mine is driven by a Kohler engine, the other ones may be different, I dont have much experience beyond my own machine.

The way i determined mine had an issue was to just pull the carb (easy on those linkage rods!) and to remove the solenoid. Unscrew it, and it pulls straight out. The pin on mine had sludge on it, and this electromagnet is not intended to be strong anyways, so it wouldnt pull it open. I scrubbed the pin down til it was clean and shiny, and flushed the bore it slides into clean with carb cleaner. So far, so good!

To check the solenoid if you suspect it is bad, touch the ring terminal end to the negative terminal and the other wire to the positive terminal, if it pulls the pin into the body then it is good. If it doesnt, then you have that problem to deal with also!

I will try to get a picture, my old digital camera is a piece of junk and going back to college now doesnt leave me much budget for new toys! If there is anything else I can answer to help, by all means let me know!