I have a lincoln 175 sp plus and having problems with the wire feed?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

I have a lincoln 175 sp plus and having problems with the wire feed?

I was welding tonight and the wire feed was not working properly. when I opened the cover and watched as I was pressing the trigger and the wheels were spinning on the welder but it wasnt pulling from the spool. the spool was loose and I had the contact tip clean, but it comes out in spurts. I dont get it I have been using this welder and 1 other certified welder has been using it along with schooling me a little, He is out of town for 2 weeks and I would like to get this resolved if anyone has any ideas? Thanks

Re: I have a lincoln 175 sp plus and having problems with the wire feed?

tension on the drive wheels inadequate?
    liner kinked?
    wrong sized roller?

Pictures would help.
    Mark
    I haven't always been a nurse........
    Craftsman 12"x36" Lathe
    Enco G-30B Mill
    Hobart Handler 175
    Century 230 Amp A/C stick welder
    Add a Foot Pedal to a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
    PapaLion's Gate Build

I dont think the liners kinked, but the drive wheels may be in adequate, How do I know? what pictures would help?

I am still pretty green at this so any helpful suggestions will help me out thanks

Liners do get kinked real easy in the small migguns.
    Try this, remove the gun but leave the trigger plugged in. pull the trigger and see if t feeds good out the front of the welder. Make sure to insulate the work clamp. If the wire feeds good , you have a gun problem. Still not feeding right, you have a drive problem. Make sure feed roll is tight and the groove is centered on your wire and it is the correct size.
    While you have the gun out you may as well check the liner. Loosen the set screw in the drive power pin. lay the gun out straight and pull out the liner. see if it is bent (kinked) or black at the end. Take the diffuser off before you put a liner back in. If you end up putting a new liner in, it will have to be trimmed to size. Cut liner with wire cutters do not use a friction cut off tool. Cut off tools leave a very sharp edge for the wire to push across.
    Trim liner just short of the end of the diffuser. you want the tip to touch liner but with out pressure.