BBQ Pit
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBQ Pit

BBQ Pit

Here is a pic of the pit almost finished. I still have to mount the thermometers, brake light brackets, and put a new axle under it, but most of the work is done.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here is another shot.

This is one of the inside

Here is one showing the storage side and table that is can be folded up during transportation.

cutter Guest
    As always a great looking job, Frank.
    I am curious why you left the axle replacement until last?

Cutter,

Well, I guess its just the new toy syndrome or something. The axle that was on there had a 4 1/2 in bolt pattern, and the new wheels I got with the poorly welded axle are 5 inch pattern. I really wanted to check out those new wheels on the cooker so I just put that crappy axle on there, I figured its atleast strong enought to roll it around my driveway and take some pics .

I realize its more work, but had to get those shiney weels on there asap.

JohnDeere Guest
    Hey fatfrank....... Thats a good lookin gril... I just have to ask.. Did ya use that stickmate on it???

John Deere

John, yeah I burnt up quite a few of those 6011's on it. Gave me a really good chance to get familiar with using it. I have a HH175 and I think using the stick machine helped make me a better welder with the wire feeder also.

She's beautiful!

What size hole did you make from the fire box to the smoke chamber? Is there a pipe on that hole extending the outlet? How is the smoke getting to second chamber?

Great job Frank. What Meat is first on the list?

Just a question in my mind, do you intend to ballast the cargo area heavily to compensate fot the smoker section putting the majority of the weight on the left tire?
    Appreciation Gains You Recognition-

Sticky,

This is one that I built specifically for BBQ competions. The two chambers are totally seperate. The side with the offset firebox is for cooking brisket and ribs other things at a low BBQ temps. The other side is for direct cooking over the coals, thats how I cook chicken for the comps. If someone wanted to connect the two chambers, they would only have to cut out the 1/4inch plate seperating them, could possibly make a removeable plate for use both ways. The opening from the firebox into the right hand side is a 18 inch diameter halfmoon (does that makes sense?).

Franz, it will be loaded pretty heavily with wood, icechests 10X20 canopy ect. If it seems too top heavy, I guess I could add some heavy plating to something to the other side, maybe to the frame or something? Any suggestions?

If it dosn't level off with wood, maybe brick or concrete block lined?
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom.

Yeah, being an amature builder, I guess I'm not real sure how to test the balance and stability of it. I have pretty rigid suspension on the pit, I measured last night and there is only 3/4 of an inch difference in frame height between the two sides. I suppose I will just hook it up and put my wife in the cargo hold and whip around some corners and listen for her to tell me when the light side starts coming off the ground. LOL

Here in Oregon, the truck scales are open to the public. If you really worried about it, you could put one tire on it at a time.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom.

I really don't think I have to worry too much about it. The pit is made out of basicly, 6 ft of 20" pipe and a 4X8 sheet of 1/4 inch metal. The fire box is pretty low to the ground and the frame is about 16 inches off the ground. I think I will just be careful the first few trips out and see how it pulls.

Looks like ur going to have to move the fenders up or get stronger springs, thats a heavy load u got there!! But its a good looking job u done!!

Paychk Guest
    MAN!

Thats one fine BBQ Ya got there

john pen Guest
    Beautifull grill..I guess I 've got to get off my a@# and get started on mine..

Well now, just sorta thinkin fast & loose, seems like yer gonna have a bunch of waste heat there someplace, and there is dang well gonna be a need to wash something up, so I'd be putting a water tank on for ballast, and probably a second tank for hot water with a loop going thru the firebox to heat the water while you're cookin.
    Don't forget a safety pressure release on the hot tank, just in case.
    What's the kettle heater for? You gonna sell corn on the cob, or cook clams?
    Appreciation Gains You Recognition-

Water tank is a good idea, and have seen some that use the coil through the pit to warm the water and a 12V pump to wash up. The burners on the front are for what ever, heating water, boiling crawfish, frying turkeys etc.

To tell you the truth I may just sell the whole thing, upgrade my chopsaw, buy some more good clamps, couple of good grinders and some new metal and start over. This was a fun project, and now that its finished I am ready to start again I think I could build the next one in 1/2 the time it took to make this one.

Someone asked what I would do different next time.....I would save up some money and get one of the neighbor kids so run my angle grinders for a few hours

Fat frank,

I have somebody getting me 20 inch tube with a 3/8 wall 40 inches long. He said he would get another 20 inch long piece for a firebox. Would you use the round piece for firebox or buck up and build a square firebox?

How big are the air holes going into your firebox? Would you recommend the same size holes in and out of the firebox?

I like the square ones better. If you can see in my pic, I have an ashpan in the bottom of mine that slides out. Makes it nice and easy to clean out the ashes.

When cooking with logs, I find that sometimes your meat gets overly smokey (creosote) if the logs don't catch quickly and smolder in the firebox. So lots of times I put a few logs at a time on top of the firebox to preheat then when placed in the firebox, they catch quickly.

You also have more airspace in a square firebox than you do in a round (say 20"square firebox versus a 20" round firebox) and that helps the fire burn more cleanly.

I can measure them exactly if you want, but they are basicly 2x4 ovals for air into the firebox. You want atleast that much space going into the cooking chamber, mine is a 19" half moon going into the cooking chamber. My exhaust stack is a 4.5 inch round pipe. The main thing is you dont want to restrict your airflow down stream. If you do, it makes bigger openings in the firebox useless.

Great looking grill, it's making me hungry. One thing I have seen modified on these type grills is not exhausting from the top of the chamber, but cutting the opening for the stack midline or below. It is said to help hold in heat and smoke a little better. I built one using that principal a few years ago and it seemed to work. Of course my smoke chamber was square, so that made it easy to cut the opening where I wanted. Do a google search on smoke pit modifications and you'll see all the details.

Don't take the above to mean I was being critical of yours, I'll take a pulled sandwich off of it anyday! I just have looked at a ton of variations trying to decide which one I want to build, and that tip I liked very much.
    Low speed, high drag............but heavily armed!

that thing would feed eveyone at the whorre house and all the customers on dollar day.

whorre is spelled that way so the computer police don't do this ******
    A true democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for lunch.

Memfuzz, I do agree on putting the exhaust stack at grate level. That works really well if you know how to burn a good fire and if you cooking on a regular type offset pit. On vertical ones with multiple shelves, I found that running the heat from the firebox under water pans does a really good job of evening out the temperature from top to bottom.

If your putting your exhaust at grate level, I recommend having your heat come in at grate level also.