Project "Summer School"... - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Project "Summer School"...

I thought you'd be some old crotchety guy! Love what ur doing with your charge! Can an old dog like me be next?
    Miller diversion 165
    Miller mig 211
    Hypertherm pm 30
    Milwaukee 6230 14 inch chop saw
    Md 45 mag drill (RIP; fell on its head)
    New MD 45! Thanks to the esposa!
    Finally got an O/A setup

I'm jealous... legitimately jealous. I wish I had someone to learn from. :-(

Good work, with kids who are actually interested in something other than video games and drugs I have some hope for society
    Joe
    Miller 140 Autoset (2010)
    Miller Syncrowave 250 (1996)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliotmay@yahoo.com View Post
    I thought you'd be some old crotchety guy! Love what ur doing with your charge! Can an old dog like me be next?
    I AM a old crotchety guy and never say never.

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Zap, it is awesome what you are doing for him, giving him knowledge that can never be taken away by anyone! I would have killed for this type of opportunity, and by the way you talk he appreciates it, great to see that in a young person. Thanks for sharing!

I go on thee clock Monday. When I yet home I'm going to make my own thread on some if the projects I'm doing. I even got a 1956 nickel for size reference
    Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    You wanted to be the welder.

...zap

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Padilla View Post
    um, didnt want to say anything but, the I was thinking that the safety police will get you for no glove on the left hand. Just sayun so the nay sayers arent all over your rear end.
    under 120 amps i dont wear any gloves...

agreed, should have a tig glove on that feeding hand. I know ill likely get ripped apart for this one, but theres nothing worse than teaching apprentices bad habbits right off the hop. my apprentices know the second they strike that arc they better be covered up apropriately or ill be shutting there machine down. Weather it be 5 amps or 400amps your still getting severe exposure. Our utility company actually had a dermatologist, and a couple doctors come in to the station and having a meeting and explain the consequences of PPE misuse for welders. both the boilermakers i apprenticed under died due to skin cancer, mostly located around there neck/chest. All they wore all the years in the boiler was a jean t shirt, and jeans because it was cooler. The arc from the tig torch went through that jean shirt like nothing. His chest was rather hideous to say the least full of black patches. These were some of my closest friends and i got to watch them slowly die in a hospital. UV protection when welding is a big deal. But on another note its great to see someone sharing their skills with the younger generation, god knows how many welders were going to need in the next 10 years, cheers to you zap.

Quote Originally Posted by Pressure_Welder View Post
    agreed, should have a tig glove on that feeding hand. I know ill likely get ripped apart for this one, but theres nothing worse than teaching apprentices bad habbits right off the hop. my apprentices know the second they strike that arc they better be covered up apropriately or ill be shutting there machine down. Weather it be 5 amps or 400amps your still getting severe exposure. Our utility company actually had a dermatologist, and a couple doctors come in to the station and having a meeting and explain the consequences of PPE misuse for welders. both the boilermakers i apprenticed under died due to skin cancer, mostly located around there neck/chest. All they wore all the years in the boiler was a jean t shirt, and jeans because it was cooler. The arc from the tig torch went through that jean shirt like nothing. His chest was rather hideous to say the least full of black patches. These were some of my closest friends and i got to watch them slowly die in a hospital. UV protection when welding is a big deal. But on another note its great to see someone sharing their skills with the younger generation, god knows how many welders were going to need in the next 10 years, cheers to you zap.
    Gloves are "dirt magnets" you want the filler rod to be clean.
    You wanted to be the welder.

...zap

Thats why you have a tig gloves that are used just for tig welding.

So while he is welding and the roller is turning this is what I do..
    Nothing.
    Attachment 186501

I don't watch every move he makes but he has this down pretty good..
    This is only 2 Hrs seat time..!
    Attachment 186511

Attachment 186521

While observing I did witness something that made me say "Allright!!!"

He started the welder up..
    Got everything ready to go..
    Filler..Check!
    Tungstens..Check!
    Comfy?..Check..

Then it happened..
    He actually hit the pedal..
    Put the torch to his ear and discovered he did not turn the gas on before just going at it and making a mess of the tungsten..
    You get a double cool for that.

So all in all progress is much faster than I thought it would be..

And he got gloves that fit!

So until tomorrow..

...zap!
    See this stuff is easy, all ya got to do is show up.
    While you are there twiddling your thumbs, maybe you could teach the kid about good housekeeping. That shop is a disaster.
    Hammer
    File
    Big Hammer
    ------------------------------
    Here, let me Google that for you...

Quote Originally Posted by lamename View Post
    See this stuff is easy, all ya got to do is show up.
    While you are there twiddling your thumbs, maybe you could teach the kid about good housekeeping. That shop is a disaster.
    I do my own sweeping and clean up when needed..
    You think what you see in the pics is a disaster?

Go down front.

...zap!

Some parts are missing

Do not attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Stukas View Post
    Gloves are "dirt magnets" you want the filler rod to be clean.
    lol thanks stukas, fortunately i know all about cleanliness when welding. Just finished a loop pipe job on the steam turbine, 10" pipe with a 3 1/2" wall thickness 2 1/4% chromoly , 4 xrays shot during the weld and one after to confirm, 8 joints in total, two of us welding per joint, cant stop once you start, heat blankets keeping that sucker at 400*, took 12hrs per joint. One of the 4 boiler inspectors on this job his only job was emery cloth my tig rods and hand me a new set of gloves after each tig rod was done. Gloves are dirt magnets? thats the lamest excuse ive ever heard to not wear them.

Gloves are dirt magnets.
    weld it like you own it

Quote Originally Posted by Stukas View Post
    I go on thee clock Monday. When I yet home I'm going to make my own thread on some if the projects I'm doing. I even got a 1956 nickel for size reference
    SORRY, YOU FAILED YOUR FIRST TEST ! It's not a NICKEL ! You gotta have a
    1966 DIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Maybe being teachers pet he will let you retake it. Bribe the teacher with some beer ???

I say he needs a penny. You gotta work your way up!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & NKJV Bible

Danny

I still vote Nickel
    Smith Gas Mixer AR/H
    Tig is my Kung Fu
    Throwing down dimes and weaving about
    Welding Engineer
    Instagram http://instagram.com/weldor_wes

This is the way to go. You pass the knowledge, he soaks it up. Commendable at every level. Keep it up, you'll get more out of it than he does I predict.

Germans have a national apprentice program at 15, good idea huh? Wish we had an organized way to show a young fella a good path.
    Lincoln Power MIG 215
    Lincoln WeldPak 3200HD
    Lincon ProCut 25
    Lincoln WeldanPower 225 AC/DC

If all else fails... buy more tools

Quote Originally Posted by PapaLion View Post
    This is the way to go. You pass the knowledge, he soaks it up. Commendable at every level. Keep it up, you'll get more out of it than he does I predict.

Germans have a national apprentice program at 15, good idea huh? Wish we had an organized way to show a young fella a good path.
    I'm with you on that one papa

I think when you can catch a kids interest and help them learn
    And keep there interest peaked ...Maybe we would not have a lot of the problems we have with young people today
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Trail Blazer 302 Air Pak
    Suitecase 12RC
    Hypertherm PM 45
    Victor O/A
    Evolution Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

I'm very impressed if you can actually turn that roller +/- .0005' end to end. does this take mid pass adjustment or it the setup and lathe really that good?

Zap, hat's off to you my friend, it's truly rewarding to bring up a young un, especially one that is willing to learn.

Three weeks ago I brought my 14 year old to Africa with me, got him working side by side with me every day and it's amazing the things he picks up instantly. I feel this is a great, once in a lifetime oppportunity for him, I would never ever be able to have him on a minesite in the states. He has experienced quite a few "firsts" so far, his first bush plane ride---scared him a little! His first welding on HEAVY equipment, even his first time TIG welding. I brought him over now cause in a month or so I will be moving to a different area where it won't be safe to bring anyone over, lots of native uprisings going on and I don't want anything to happen to him if something bad goes down.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to teach a kid right, you will be his idol for life! Matt
    6 Miller Big Blue 600 Air Paks
    2 Miller 400D
    6 Lincoln LN-25's
    4 Miller Xtreme 12VS
    2 Miller Dimension 812
    4 Climax BW-3000Z bore welders
    Hypertherm 65 and 85
    Bug-O Track Bug
    Pair of Welpers

Quote Originally Posted by dsergison View Post
    I'm very impressed if you can actually turn that roller +/- .0005' end to end. does this take mid pass adjustment or it the setup and lathe really that good?
    One tailstock adjustment and that's that.

(Providing your tool don't wear/break..)

...zap!

Some parts are missing

Do not attempt.

use to be Lake Elsinore, Ca now Clarksville Tn

Zap is still young at heart he just doesnt show it all the time, he even used a Justin Bieber lyric to make a point (never say never) he just doesnt want to admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by ExpatWelder View Post

Three weeks ago I brought my 14 year old to Africa with me, got him working side by side with me every day and it's amazing the things he picks up instantly. I feel this is a great, once in a lifetime opportunity for him, ...
    Cool, Be sure and start a thread and post some picts of his time over there for us. They'll make a great " What I did last summer" report come fall in school. Not many kids get to travel to other countries, let alone Africa.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Padilla View Post
    Zap is still young at heart he just doesnt show it all the time, he even used a Justin Bieber lyric to make a point (never say never) he just doesnt want to admit it.
    Never say never came from my hockey team captain when we were down 4 goals with 8 mins to go in the championship game...and we WON!!!

Never say never.

...zap!

Some parts are missing

Do not attempt.

You're one lucky lad Stukas. I wish I'd had a guy like Zapster looking over my shoulder.