Century Quick-Fix 117-034 - speed control
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Question Century Quick-Fix 117-034 - speed control

Picked this 75amp up for cheap. Not alot of use, everything is very clean. It did weld when I first got it home but not well. The wire speed is all over the place. It 'stuttered' alot when you pull the trigger. Meaning the wire speed would stop-start-stop-start run steady for a short while then stop-start-stop-start. Same symptoms all through the range of the wire speed dial, a little worse mid-range. Settings 1-3 and 8-10 would allow longer constant speed run time Settings 4-7 had more stuttering. The Gas Valve pulled in as it should. I checked the liner & tip, changed wire. I went as ar as to remove the wire from the drive wheel and pull the trigger, the 'stuttering' continued.

I don't have a variable DC power supply so I removed the Speed Control from the circuit and connected the black wire to the rectifier where the speed controller's white wire is. The motor does not turn with 28VDC hitting it. Doesn't even get warm. I expected it to go full speed. Right? This tells me the motor is now dead?

I have been playing with the speed controller too but thats a different thread.

While I was troubleshooting this I ran into something I don't understand.

Why does the common wire from the speed control/drive motor terminate down stream of the rectifier and not to the same terminal as the common for the Gas valve? This is how the unit is wired.

Side Note: Double check me but I think the lower diagram doesn't match the top diagram.

Here's the diagram.

Re: Century Quick-Fix 117-034 - speed control

For some reason it didn't include the attached pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well as I see it it looks like it is being fed AC and that is the first place that is accessible to ac after the transformer
    Miller thunderbolt 250
    Decastar 135E
    Recovering tool-o-holic
    ESAB OA
    I have been interested or involved in Electrical, Fire Alarm, Auto, Marine, Welding, Electronics ETC to name a just a few. So YES you can own too many tools.

Both the drive motor and the gas valve are 24VDC.

The drawing on the bottom makes sense to me electrically. The top drawing is how the unit is wired, but does not match the lower drawing when tracing things out.

My question was: is there a reason for the way they terminated the drive motor/speed control at the rectifier, rather than at the (-) terminal like the gas valve?

Does it need to be terminated downstream of the rectifier? Why?

Will I hurt anything by moving the white wire from the Speed Control and terminate it at the (-) terminal same as the gas valve?

I don't see how it would affect normal operation because as I understand the welder operation is that the trigger only controls the gas valve and drive motor. The welder amperage is selected via the hi/lo switch which runs at a constant low or high amperage and is hot when the hi/lo switch is on. Correct me if I am wrong.

Maybe I am missing how the reactor & rectifier works together.

Anyone? I know there are some sharp cookies on this forum.......

Bluewelder, ccawgc Helped me out on the last one.....

You are not seeing things, the two drawings do not match.
    One has plus weld voltage going to the trigger switch and the other has neg, voltage going to the trigger switch. Try calling 866-236-0044. This is century tech support at wcta Lincoln. Ask them whats right.

Sorry, life got in the way there..... I didn't think I was seeing things. I did check my other Century welder and its pictorial diagram, (the upper one above) matches this one. I need to find the ladder diagram to see how that looks.

Further inspection revealed the white wire (+) and the brown wire (-) terminating at the wire feed block were flip-flopped. Someone has been in here messing around it seems. I have yet to call support. I have confirmed the feed motor does work after changing the white/brown wires around and bypassing the speed control. But I am getting nothing through the speed control. As posted above I was having some problems with it controlling the wire speed smoothly so I decided to change out the Transistors. I'll start another thread on that fix.

Its started here.

Amazing - I've been looking for a wiring diagram for my 117-034 for MONTHS!!! And I find it here in the first thread I open on this site!

Thankfully, you've confirmed what I thought to be the case - I need a 24VDC gas valve for my MIG conversion!

Suggest that you "clean" the potentiometer or whatever it is that actually controls the speed. Guitar pots get a little crunchy so you basically run your finger up and down next to the dial quickly and move it through its complete range a bunch of times, maybe that is what is happening here? <shrug> affordable suggestion anyway Maybe just replace the pot if you can figure out the specs and cleaning doesn't help.

Also, with this setup, is the motor speed somewhat sensitive to current variations in the secondary?

more quickfix speed controller goodness here:
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=148021

Part # 880-094-666 looks like $75, worth a little troubleshooting for such a simple circuit IMHO
    Last edited by daveid; 11-29-2012 at 07:55 PM.