Stick weld exhaust?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Stick weld exhaust?

I replaced the exhaust on my sons Ranger from the first pipe back and can't get the joint at the catalytic converter to stop leaking. Can I weld this with my AC stick welder?
    I don't have any experiance welding thinner material.

Re: Stick weld exhaust?

I am also interested in this...i have a cherry bomb clamped to a flange on my jeep...but i beat the hell out of the underside of the jeep, and i know i will lose it one of these days.....
    "Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee" - Bender

If you have a tombstone, it will be tougher, but it can be done. The variable amp type units would be easier to dial in. The pipes are usually 16 or 18 ga galv or aluminized stinky stuff and will weld easily once you are dialed in. Myself, I'd use 3/32 6011 and start in the 45-50 amp range and see how it does. I run away from AC, so exact settings I do not know. DC would be in the 60 amp range with straight polarity.

It can be done, I have. I stopped when I got my 110v mig. Use 1/16" rod. The pipes onthe cat are heavier than the exhaust pipe, so keep your heat on the heavier pipe. Be prepared to grind off and do it over if you don't get the heat right or practice on some other pipe before you do it. This is a good time to weld down hill.

David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

I wish I had kept my old pipe to practice on, I'm worried I'll burn through the pipe and have a real mess. I'll see if I can find some thin pipe and see what I can do.

But, if you do enough of it with 6011, you learn how to use it to your advantage. I did it on 14ga to 20ga sheet for almost 10 years straight. Laps, butts, Tee's..they are all the same. I bet I did three or four complete exhaust systems like that with zero issues and all with either 6011 or 6010 and all 3/32. I know it can be done easily if you actually try it.

Good luck and be sure to take pics..

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

I have figured out that keeping everyone happy is nearly impossible but pissing people off is easy and fun.

i have welded several exhaust setups with stick. i have used 6013 and 6011 depending on what i had on hand at the time. both work well. if you don't have any pipe run to autozone or another similar store and purchase a small piece of pipe for a couple bucks and give it a go.

This exhaust could be MGSS (muffler grade stainless), doesn't torch cut, crack prone at stressed welds. Would be tricky to AC stick weld.

Can you buy a stainless "wrap-around" in your pipe size? They seal the best.

If this is a slip fit - Heat the outside pipe, while red hot, install the saddle clamp on a "fresh" spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Young
    i have welded several exhaust setups with stick. i have used 6013 and 6011 depending on what i had on hand at the time. both work well. if you don't have any pipe run to autozone or another similar store and purchase a small piece of pipe for a couple bucks and give it a go.
    Good idea, I will pick some up pipe and 6013 this week and practice. And yes, Zap I'll show take some pics, though i probably won't show the first few attempts, I do have some pride.

Quote Originally Posted by denrep
    This exhaust could be MGSS (muffler grade stainless), doesn't torch cut, crack prone at stressed welds. Would be tricky to AC stick weld.

Can you buy a stainless "wrap-around" in your pipe size? They seal the best.

If this is a slip fit - Heat the outside pipe, while red hot, install the saddle clamp on a "fresh" spot.
    Stupid question, how can I tell if it is MGSS?

Do you have enough room to do it on the vehicle or are you doing it in the open ?

Good Luck!
    Me!

Quote Originally Posted by 69 chevy
    I would recommend 6012\6013 sheet metal type rods. 6011 has too forceful an arc for using on this pipe. And for goodness sake, think safety! You'll be in the vicinity of a gas tank. Can't hurt to disconnect the battery either. Good luck.

Yea, I was thinking the same thing, welding on my back next to a gas tank.....
    Actually where I need to weld is a couple of feet away. I have heard different opinions on pulling battery cables, is it to keep stray welding current from heating and destroying battery?

As long as you are grounded to the exhaust and not somewhere else it shouldn't be an issue but it never hurts to play it safe. If you was to ground it to say a crossmember on the bed current could take a different path, like through some wiring and burn them up.
    Dewayne
    Dixieland Welding

MM350P
    Lincoln 100
    Some torches
    Other misc. tools

Quote Originally Posted by GLwelder
    ... how can I tell if it is MGSS?
    Stainless most often used ahead of converter.
    Compares to tube used for exhaust manifolds, dull silvery brown color, does not have the zinc look.
    Doesn't react to oxygen when trying to torch cut it.
    Noticeably less magnetic than carbon steel pipes.
    Not cheap!

Hey ME,
    I am going to postpone this project until I practice on thin pipe. I think I also may disconnect from in front of the converter back and weld it on my bench. I am not good enough to weld out of positron and on such thin material. I will update when I get back to it. Thanks

Great Idea. Its much easier on the bench. Mig welding under a car is a tough one, stick is worse. You will have to bend the rod to get at the top of the pipe and hope you can see it. You probably should make sure it comes out in one piece so you know you can get it back in after you weld it.

I just put a replacement cat in a V6 Dodge truck. Not a direct fit, but just ends to weld to. I did a nice job. A month later it came in for a torque converter and I had to cut the exhaust...... Just welded it in one more spot.

David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.