Lincoln Idealarc TIG 300/300 AC/DC
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Lincoln Idealarc TIG 300/300 AC/DC

I know these are pretty old machines but how do they stack up to the newer machines? Looks like they can pretty much do anything a newer welder can do from what I've been able to find out about them, looks like the main drawback is the weight. I'm looking at one now that I'm thinking about getting if the price is right. How hard is it to get parts for if something breaks? Any opinions?
    HH 187
    Miller Bluestar1E

Re: Lincoln Idealarc TIG 300/300 AC/DC

That's what I have in my garage. Don't know about parts availability although there were a bunch of them made. I bought a second one in case I need parts...lol. One thing... make sure when you look at that machine that it has the power correction board. It'll take a 125amp breaker otherwise to be happy with it. Mine calls for 84amp but I put it on 100 and have been quite happy with it.
    As for comparing them to the modern machines. If you liked the old transformer machines you'll not be unhappy. I haven't used the new stuff very much and didn't like what I did use but that doesn't mean they're not good machines.
    Anything worth doing is worth doing RIGHT

They are a great machine. They do superb stick welding. Tig is excellent on stainless or mild steel. The only point where they are behind a newer machine is in the fact that they don't have square wave capability. The arc on AC is not as stable as it might be with Square wave. It does a very good job on new aluminum that is very clean. When doing AC aluminum welding on metal that is less than pristine, the cleaning factor of the variable square wave would be a definite advantage. That's not to take anything away from the machine as it came. They are among the best of the straight sine wave transformer machines.

I had a 250/250 TIG/STICK, which was the smaller-powered version. They weigh close to 400 pounds so they are not very easily moved. I got by with a 70 amp breaker for the 250 that I had and never once opened a breaker. The 300 will probably need 80-100 amp service.

They are quite reliable but parts are difficult siince we are talking about a machine that was in vogue in 1984. I had mine for 14 years, though, and never needed so much as a sheet metal screw. If you get a clean one you probably will never have to work on it.

Many of them have a water solenoid which is nice but you really don't need it, even for TIG as water should be running all the time that the machine is on in any case. I ran mine with a home-brewed water circulator and a Weldcraft torch and never had a problam.

I would have kept mine but I got a good trade in from a dealer for a near new Miller Square Wave 200. I wanted pulse for TIG. The Miller also has DIG for stick which provided a background voltage to help prevent sticking, particularly with something like 7018 rod.

Good luck!
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller Millermatic 252
    Liincoln AC-DC 225
    Victor O-A Set
    High Hopes

I have one of these machines and they are heavier than they look , very good for stick welding , the tig part of it is good too but I am haveing probs with mine kicking out a black weld on aluminum, I think its the gas solinoid , but so far parts havent been to much of a prob, some I have gone threw lincoln ( little parts switches etc , manuals ) .

Quote Originally Posted by boilermaker
    I have one of these machines and they are heavier than they look , very good for stick welding , the tig part of it is good too but I am haveing probs with mine kicking out a black weld on aluminum, I think its the gas solinoid , but so far parts havent been to much of a prob, some I have gone threw lincoln ( little parts switches etc , manuals ) .

Unless you have a bad gas solenoid, the symptom to which you refer sounds like some porous auminum. These machines usually do pretty well on aluminum if the material is new and very clean.

The solenoid should either be open or closed. If they fail, they usually won't open up. I guess you could remove one of the covers and check the solenoid.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller Millermatic 252
    Liincoln AC-DC 225
    Victor O-A Set
    High Hopes

have the covers off and did find a few probs mainly with a bunch of loose conections ?? maybe vibration ??, but the black weld prob I have had with a couple of different peices of aluminum , and my first ththought was dirty material ,but not the case ,

I have one of these welders and it has always worked fine with one exception... each time I stop welding I have to turn off the argon at the tank or it keeps flowing. I looked at the solenoids and they look OK. Any ideas?