Ideas for money making projects using drop off + raw material
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ideas for money making projects using drop off + raw material

Hey guys, it appears my hours are steadily dropping and i am looking for ways to make some additional cash. I have access to a large fabrication shop and all the drop off material i want. (mostly plate steel, 3/16,1/4,5/16) also have raw material available such as angle,tubing,flat bar,square bar,channel, etc

I started working with inventor and am teaching my self the program now. looks like i can easily design parts to be cut in the plasma right away.

Looking for ideas of small projects that i can make some money on. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Ideas for money making projects using drop off + raw material

I thought you were going to give US ideas.

You first.
    "Nothing welded, nothing gained."
    Miller Dynasty700DX, 3 ea. Dynasty350DX, Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250, Hypertherm800

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    I thought you were going to give US ideas.

You first.
    Sorry.
    Being new to the industry, the only things i can think of right now is metal art.
    Would be happy if i could scrape up 15-20$ hr for whatever im making.

Baseball bat-proof mailboxes?

A half-round of 6"sch 80 pipe for the top, 3/8" plate for the sides, bottom, and back, 1/4" plate for the door, and some 1/2" round bar for the hinge pin and door handle...

I made one for my uncle after all the mailboxes on his road were smashed 4 times in 3 weeks. A week later, there were the splintered remains of a wood baseball bat on the ground at the end of the driveway. I have requests for a half dozen more, although I sort of doubt they'll need them, as I figure those kids probably learned their lesson. It could NOT have felt pleasant to be holding the other end of that bat when it met a solid plate of steel at 40+ mph
    Last edited by anickode; 08-14-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    You didn't build that.

'85 Miller AEAD-200LE

Quote Originally Posted by anickode View Post
    Baseball bat-proof mailboxes?

A half-round of 6"sch 80 pipe for the top, 3/8" plate for the sides, bottom, and back, 1/4" plate for the door, and some 1/2" round bar for the hinge pin and door handle...

I made one for my uncle after all the mailboxes on his road were smashed 4 times in 3 weeks. A week later, there were the splintered remains of a wood baseball bat on the ground at the end of the driveway. I have requests for a half dozen more, although I sort of doubt they'll need them, as I figure those kids probably learned their lesson. It could NOT have felt pleasant to be holding the other end of that bat when it met a solid plate of steel at 40+ mph
    Thanks, that is a good idea. It is now on my list to make.
    not sure if i can get 6" pipe for the top, instead i might roll 1/4"plate so the sides and top will be one piece.

A small numbered stand to hold spark-plugs in order.

fire rings are easy to do in plate if you've got the equipment to cut and bend it. and easy to make decrative if you've got access to a cutting table.

signs, name plates, BBQ brands, decrative lettering, wine racks, coat racks, ..... the list goes on and on.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

Yard art always seems to sell.
    "Nothing welded, nothing gained."
    Miller Dynasty700DX, 3 ea. Dynasty350DX, Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250, Hypertherm800

Metal cages for commercial/residential air conditioning units to prevent copper theft.
    TxDoc's Photos

Lincoln SP175 Plus
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln 250 LX Spool Gun
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Hypertherm 600
    KMG 2x72 Belt Grinder
    Baldor 812RE Grinder

Here's my first design for a mailbox built out of 1/4" plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Put a peaked roof and a little chimney on that mailbox.
    My neighboor has one and I would bet his wife made him by it as it is "decorative"
    Still has a square door on front held shut by a little magnet.

Depending on the steel you have steel targets/target stands would be a seller.

Paper weights.

Did not have access to the brake so i made do with the shear. Did the peaked roof instead, i think it looks a lot nicer this way.
    Weighs in at 70lbs

A 1/4 plate mailbox....

Awesome. That thing will be indestructible versus all but an suv ramming it...and even then you'll find it launched a few feet away, probably fine.

I did something similar for a buddy who's neighborhood was always having it's boxes trashed. Some fools kept smashing them, so we made a box from 1/8th plate, and stuck it on top of steel pipe. 2 weeks later, smashed box, smashed box, smashed box, then bat splinters LOL.

As for yard art, that same buddy and I made a few "prototype" hanging plant stands for his mother. Got the idea from the welding projects section. Ended up making about 50 more for the local farmers market
    HTP Invertig 221-DV -- get's dragged everywhere.
    Syncro 200 -- "The Boat Anchor" at the lab.
    Lincoln 125 MIG

Whoever swings a bat at that will have a broken side rear glass for sure. Happened to my friend whe. We were young. I laughed so hard for days, he got what he deserved. Great job!
    I hate being bi-polar it's awsome

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

Quote Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
    fire rings are easy to do in plate if you've got the equipment to cut and bend it. and easy to make decrative if you've got access to a cutting table.

signs, name plates, BBQ brands, decrative lettering, wine racks, coat racks, ..... the list goes on and on.

Yep, what he said...

Hand-Held Plasma cutter and some scrap 'Gas-Line' Pipe make SUPERB Fire Rings and there's no need to bend them either. Easy to find and acquire if you have any Pipe-lining going on in your State. I had a friend who just hauled away 47' of 36" and 40" Diameter, 1/4" thick Gas Pipe! Was too far away (6 hrs) and too heavy for my trailer,... it sold for SCRAP prices and it's all HQ carbon steel!
    Miller Diversion 165
    120 amp Buzz Box
    Victor Oxy/Ace Oxy/LPG
    Smith "Little" Oxy/LPG
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Lot's of Misc. tools n' crap....

Hi, one reason why solid brick square letter boxes are popular in OZ, totally indestructable and rust proof.....mine's 25 years old.

I'd try garden stuff to make simple cheap plant hangers and stands.

One design on my one day to do list is a plant pot riser stand.....15mm tube (600mm long) and a ring welded at the top.....the whole lot green powdercoated or baked enamel....you put the plant pot into the ring and push the tube into the soil in a garden bed....the plant in the pot is kept just above the garden bed and keeps it from being overshadowed by the bigger bedded plants.....cost $1 to make....sells for $5....500% profit.
    Ian.

Just a word of advice, I've heard that USPS-approved mailboxes and mail posts are designed to "break away" if a car or snowplow hits it, and that if you "overbuild" your mailbox or the post it sits on, and somebody has a car accident and your 70# mailbox takes their head off, you can be held liable.

I am not a lawyer, and I don't know if this is true, but it is something that I heard...

How about custom steps that fit in a trailer hitch receiver, or bolt on? Some seem a little pricy. There are some that bolt on to an existing receiver or drawbar. And then there are those protector plates that keep you from ramming the trailer tongue into the back of the vehicle.

If you live in a muddy or snowy area, shoe/boot scrapers. Some are rather artistic.

My son made some $ making a couple sets of heavy-duty fireplace tools using some twisted/hammered stock we got from King Architectural Metals.

Think of things you might be able to sell through (or to) a locally owned truck/car accessory place, trailer sales, nursery/garden center, fireplace store and the like. Having the ability to CNC plasma cut opens a lot of possibilities.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250
    Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    TA 161 STL
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder
    Clausing 5904 lathe
    Wells-Index 745 mill

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Just a word of advice, I've heard that USPS-approved mailboxes and mail posts are designed to "break away" if a car or snowplow hits it, and that if you "overbuild" your mailbox or the post it sits on, and somebody has a car accident and your 70# mailbox takes their head off, you can be held liable.

I am not a lawyer, and I don't know if this is true, but it is something that I heard...
    I've heard the same.

Re-the guy with the head missing in the letter box......he won't need a lawyer to press his claim.

When you have to consider all the variables, don't forget to allow for meteorite strikes too, and maybe a piece of the last NASA space shot that was late in arriving....LOL.

Come to think of it, with the meteorite possibility a real threat, how about an umbreller made from a garbage tin cover and a piece of pipe for a handle......bullet proof.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post

Quote Originally Posted by brucer View Post
    I've heard the same.

YEP, and that's why everybody's insurance is becoming increasingly INADEQUATE due to the 'Bad Drivers' that can't keep their Car, Truck or 'Snow-Plow' on the Friggin' road and keep driving into Mailboxes...
    Driving around L.A. and much of California was pretty Freaky knowing that most of the Psycho drivers have SERIOUSLY INADEQUATE Liability Policies...
    I compared my policy with a Guy from Anaheim and was SHOCKED to find out that he had what was called a "15/30/5" liability coverage. He had a MERE TOTAL liability of 20k (depending on the amount of people in the other car) and That is just NUTS.. He said he was thinking about upgrading to a 100/300/50 policy which I still see as completely inadequate... When I told him what I HAD in Liability ALONE, I'm pretty sure he thought that I was Lying to him...
    (Crazy part was that the difference between our Policies was a measly $200.00 / year!)

BTW, I dig the Mailbox! Should stand-up to a Bat-Wielding D-Bag...
    Miller Diversion 165
    120 amp Buzz Box
    Victor Oxy/Ace Oxy/LPG
    Smith "Little" Oxy/LPG
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Lot's of Misc. tools n' crap....

Has anybody ever considered lying in wait for the bat swingers?
    Ian.

Welcome signs, no soliciting signs, pro gun signs, Small shelf brackets, house numbers, name signs, small step stools, wine racks, fireplace guards, overhead pot holders, overhead wineglass holders, napkin holders, the list can go on and on.
    Offering CNC Plasma cutting and welding projects.
    Follow me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/nobigdeal.fab

Support those that support WW.