Hobart Beta-Mig 200
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Hobart Beta-Mig 200

I have an older Hobart Beta Mig 200. I was wondering what info anyone has about these units.
    Specs are:
    Output Rating:
    200 amps dc
    28 volts dc
    60% duty cycle
    40 v max O.C.V.

Tapped voltage 1-9 and a high range and low range for voltage. So effectively I have 18 voltage settings.

Infinite adjustment for wire speed. Marked 0-10.

Questions:
    Does it push 200 amps no matter what the voltage is set at?

What is O.C.V.? What does that mean?

What would the voltage be scaled in? 1 volt per tap? 1/2 volt maybe?

Like those singing cartoon kids said knowledge is power. I'd like to know what I have and what the numbers mean on this machine.

Re: Hobart Beta-Mig 200

Does any one have a manual for this? Serial number is: 369956-1. PM me if you do. Thanks

Try calling Hobart for a manual.
    OCV stands for open circuit voltage. This is the voltage at the work clamp and miggun with trigger pulled and no arc is being made. In the mig process. You set the weld voltage based on wire and plate size. ( your 18 steps). The wire speed controls the amount of current in the weld arc.
    So no, we are not at 200 amps all the time. Using 0.035 wire and 230 ipm wire speed, will weld at about 130 amps.
    If you measure the ocv at all the different steps. The changes in weld voltage will be similar at each step.

Thanks for that.

To measure ocv, would I just turn wire speed to zero and check with meter at different voltage settings? Sounds straight forward enough.

What would be a good way to measure IPM? Could I take the wire off the drive roll then count rotations at different settings in one minute? Or is there a better, more standard way of measuring?

Thanks again.

Edit:
    I have looked on the Hobart website and found nothing for manuals. I called them about something but I don't recall of it was about this one or my stickmate. I know I called about the stickmate, but they gave me the miller tech line number.
    Last edited by Strangedex; 08-26-2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Added info