difference between ac welder and dc welder stick
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

difference between ac welder and dc welder stick

guys is there a difference between ac welding and dc welding and if there is whats the difference. i am interested in buying a cheap welder but its ac and i want to practice my plate and pipe welding and want to know if this machine can help me prepare for my 6g pipe test.

Arc 160AMP 160 110V Arc Welder Stick Rod 2 to 4mm w/ Welding Mask(its on ebay) and this machine ADVANCE IGBT 200 AMP DC INVERTER MMA ARC WELDING 17LBS MACHINE WELDER W MASK.

i really cant afford to buy an expensive machine no money. just want to know if i purchase an ac weld machine will it be the same as using dc and if its a difference what is the difference

Re: difference between ac welder and dc welder stick

There is a difference between an AC machine and a DC machine. In AC the arc switches back and forth from DC+ to DC- and back 60 times a second. That means usually very briefly the arc wants to go out and rods won't run quite as smoothly as they would on straight DC.

That said, there have been tons of stuff built using AC only machines over the years. Generally it's easier to weld with DC than AC, so if you can run Ac, usually you find DC to be a breeze. Also you can't run 6010 on AC, only DC. You can however use 6011 and come very close to how 6010 runs.

The 1st machine looks odd. Most 110v machines are limited to 90-100 amps on 110v power, unless they are drawing more amps than a standard 15 or 20 amp outlet can provide. ( I know with the Dynasty 200,that if you want to get maximum output on 110v power, you need to feed it 30 amps) 90-100 amps limits you at best to 3/32" rods. I'd also be very cautious about bargain basement priced inverters from overseas. There have been many many issue with these over the years, and they still haven't gotten the QC issues worked out. Most of these guys are happy to take your money to buy the machine, but when the smoke gets let out soon after purchase, getting them to do anything about it is a nightmare.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

+1 on what DSW said. I am actually going to comment on the first welder that you mentioned. I have a similar unit (ARC 160A) and it runs on 230V. The EBay unit in question is most likely a typo as there is another unit listed with the same specs/design and is advertised as a 230V unit.

I have done some practice welds on the ARC 160A 230V unit and have laid down some decent looking beads for a newbie on 6011s, 6013s, and 7014 electrodes. I have since acquired an AC/DC unit (Dayton 230A/180A buzzbox) and have noticed a considerable difference running the same electrodes on DC (straight and reverse polarity). The arc is easier to start and way less spatter and a lot smoother. Of course, it may be a function of the Dayton's build quality but like what DSW said, DC is a much better choice for stick welding.

Think of it this way. If you are going to test for you motorcycle licence are you going to practice using your daughters peddle bike with training wheels?

Do you have any idea what machine & filler you will be using for the 6G pipe test? Don't expect a cheapie inverter welder to have welding characteristics similar to a transformer machine.

This may be technical overkill, but is at least worth a glance.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...rticle108.html
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250
    Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    TA 161 STL
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder
    Clausing 5904 lathe
    Wells-Index 745 mill

One thing I have observed is the Chicoms tend to have a lot more variation in the actual amperage current than a better quality inverter... I posted a video of the change comparing the Everlast 140ST to my Powcon and Lincoln Invertec at one point.
    The difference was not only visable on my multimeter but more importantly I could feel the difference when welding with the arc being much more stable on the USA made machines...
    I should do a better video of that. Along with the 330abp transformer...
    Lincoln SP250 W/ spoolgun, GoWeld x2, ESAB 300AVS Feeder, Powcon 300SM. Everlast PowerTig 185 micro,
    ESAB 875 plasma. Evo 355. Steelmax 9", OA.

Get the machine you can afford and GET PRACTICING!!!

Muscle memory cannot be taught by anyone else.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & NKJV Bible

Danny

Coronado. CA across the bay from San Diego, CA

If your bucks are tight, I suggest you consider a used transformer machine. They are very close to being indestructable.
    I offer three choices: Good, Fast, & Cheap. You may pick two.

Hobart AC/DC StikMate LX
    Harbor Freight AD Hood
    Harbor Freight Industrial Chop Saw
    DeVilbis 20 Gallon, 5 HP Compressor

Quote Originally Posted by tenmmfan View Post
    +1 on what DSW said. I am actually going to comment on the first welder that you mentioned. I have a similar unit (ARC 160A) and it runs on 230V. The EBay unit in question is most likely a typo as there is another unit listed with the same specs/design and is advertised as a 230V unit.

I have done some practice welds on the ARC 160A 230V unit and have laid down some decent looking beads for a newbie on 6011s, 6013s, and 7014 electrodes. I have since acquired an AC/DC unit (Dayton 230A/180A buzzbox) and have noticed a considerable difference running the same electrodes on DC (straight and reverse polarity). The arc is easier to start and way less spatter and a lot smoother. Of course, it may be a function of the Dayton's build quality but like what DSW said, DC is a much better choice for stick welding.
    hey let me ask you a question. do you have your welder hook up at home. i bought a 160 amp welder but its 220 and i want to know how to hook this up at home or what kind of transformer i need to run this machine

thanks everyone i bought a Arc 160AMP 160 220V Arc Welder Stick Rod 2 to 4mm. please copy this link into your browser guys and please tell me if this was a good choice and this machine in browser is 110 but the one i receive is 220v how can i get this to work at my house. what kind of transformer do i need and where i can i purchase it LInk: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arc-160AMP-1...11%26rk%3D1%26

this will take you to ebay to see welding machine i bought. the one i bought is 220 volt

Running it off 110 via a transformer to 220 is pointless as its gonna blow the circuit. Breaker as u would need the outlet at your home to put out twice as many amps to get 220vac current. Thus about 30 amps from your 120 circuit. No home has a circuit for that. 15 amp 120 vac is standard.
    Make an extension cord and run from your dryer or range 220 vac outlet.
    Lincoln SP250 W/ spoolgun, GoWeld x2, ESAB 300AVS Feeder, Powcon 300SM. Everlast PowerTig 185 micro,

i am lost i dont understand

Your kitchen range or oven, if it is electric, will be 220 volt or at least there should be an outlet there for that if you have a gas range. You can plug into that and run your welder from there. Most houses also have a 220 volt outlet for the dryer. You can use either of those to power your welder.

Quote Originally Posted by damianmurdock View Post
    i am lost i dont understand
    Then I am scared. Hire and electrician so you don't electrocute yourself or burn down your house. also look in your circuit breaker panel for your house if u see a 30 or 50 amp breaker then you have a 220 volt outlet somewhere in your house

I don't know about the typical residential electrical service in the Bahamas, other than wall outlets are said to be 120V, 60 Hz. More telling would be to look at your service panel and also the electric meter.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250
    Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    TA 161 STL
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder
    Clausing 5904 lathe
    Wells-Index 745 mill

I burned my first rod in 1979 on AC only welder. I learned how to weld on AC so welding on DC is simple for me. Don't underestimate a good AC welder as I can weld flat, vertical, and overhead with AC. Early in my welding I was asked to weld two pieces of 24 inch pipe to the ends of a gas valve. The company told me the welds will be exrayed and pressure tested to over a 1000psi so I better do a good job. I didn't have a DC welder at that time so I used my old AC welder. I heated the pipe with the rosebud and then welded the root with 6011 the hot pass with 6013 and cap with 7014. I think that weld job was over 20 years ago and as far as I know it's still being used. A couple of things to remember when welding with AC. Keep the arc very short( stick the rod in the puddle )keep the amps high enough so the rod won' stick. Make sure to use the right rods for AC and make sure all cables and connectors are in very good condition. If the stinger starts to get hot after welding 10 rods chances are that the cables have to be replaced because resistances is building up in the leads. Resistance isn't as big a factor with DC because current flows one way but AC fluctuates back and forth 60 times per second. Everything has to be in tip top condition for AC to work well. Just my 2 cents from experience.

Thanks everyone i will hook machine up and let you all know tomorrow how it goes

Machine did not work need help

Check to see if it was made in China.

So is this the new welder you got off ebay? If u r sure u hooked it up correctly, wiring, plug etc, and you have correct voltage coming from your outlet in yr home then u probably got a dud welder as it looks like a Chicom and not uncommon to go thru several before getting one that works. And a few more to get one that stays working...

Did u put a multimeter into you wall outlet prongs to see what ac voltage is?
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 09-10-2012 at 12:20 AM.