Wiring for a Lincoln TIG 225 in my home/garage
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Wiring for a Lincoln TIG 225 in my home/garage

I've decided to buy a new Lincoln 225 TIG welder, with respect to wiring it states as follows:

9 ft. Input Power Cord, NEMA 6-50P Plug, NEMA 6-50R Receptacle

My house if fairly new, and it appears the electrical box has some extra room for wiring. I'd like to buy all the bits and pieces I would need as follows:

1. Run a line from the current electrical box (if possible) through my basement shop, out to my garage, with a receptacle in both places (I would move the welder around, and would never use both receptacles at the same time).

2. If my current electrical box cannot handle the new line, then I would buy a separate box I assume for the welder and circuit to my basement shop and garage.

3. I assume I would buy an extra NEMA 6-50R Receptacle, but I am not sure what type of wire/cable I would have to buy (I want good stuff, more than I need would be preferable with respect to quality and load), and I am not sure where I would buy the extra Receptacle and the wire/cable I need.

I assume that the place (Air Liquide) that will sell me the welder will have the extra receptacles, not sure if they would hae wire/cable/etc. though.

Is there anything else I would need to know, and buy, I'm new to all of this and haven't got a clue to be honest.

Can a regular electrician hook things up for me, or should I hire someone with a specialized skill of some sort. I would plan to run the wire myself, then have the electrician hook everything up and check it, is this the way to do it or would the electrician expect to do everything before he would bless the whole deal.

Thanks to all.
    Working on cars and bikes is my hobby, learning to weld the pieces together is my quest.

Lincoln V205-T AC/DC
    Lincoln MIG 180C
    JD2 Bender
    JD2 Notcher
    Myford ML7 Lathe
    Bend Brake
    Tungsten Grinder
    Drill Press
    Understanding Wife

Re: Wiring for a Lincoln TIG 225 in my home/garage

I would hire an electrican and let him do the job correct. From the plug to the welder, the shorter the input cable, the better. 10/4 SO Cable is what I have put on several hundred of them. Have fun
    SMAW,GMAW,FCAW,GTAW,SAW,PAC/PAW/OFC
    and Shielding Gases. There all here.

:

>>From the plug to the welder, the shorter the input cable, the better<<

Thanks for the information, I assume (but I may be wrong) you are refering to the cable that would be attached to the welder that would be plugged in the receptacle, or are you refering to the distance from my home electrical box to the receptacle (that the welder cable itself would be plugged in to).

The distance from my home electrical box (existing) to my garage (where the farthest out receptacle would be) would be approximately 20-25 feet, not sure if this is an issue.

Regards.
    Working on cars and bikes is my hobby, learning to weld the pieces together is my quest.

Lincoln V205-T AC/DC
    Lincoln MIG 180C
    JD2 Bender
    JD2 Notcher
    Myford ML7 Lathe
    Bend Brake
    Tungsten Grinder
    Drill Press
    Understanding Wife

>>The issue would be, an attached garage or detached?<<

Attached, the wiring would be all in doors away from the elements.

Thanks to everyone for their advice, I appreciate it.

Lincoln V205-T AC/DC
    Lincoln MIG 180C
    JD2 Bender
    JD2 Notcher
    Myford ML7 Lathe
    Bend Brake
    Tungsten Grinder
    Drill Press
    Understanding Wife

I ran mine for my Miller XMT 304 and Lincoln with "UF" cord (underground feeder)....It was about 50 feet from panel to garage. I like this stuff because it makes a killer extension cord, really strong stuff. And as far as a receptacle goes, IMO, I really dont think it matters, as long as the male and female match up. I went to Homie Depot, and picked up two stove type plugs......all three prongs the same size.....been working fine ......Oh yeah. the wife says the lights dont even dim anymore!!!!!

DONT BE AFRAID....ELECTRICITY IS YOUR FRIEND.....JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IT GROUNDED/BONDED.
    Miller blue star 2e
    Lincoln 175

UF makes a terrible extension cord, and also one that violates the NEC. Solid wire should not be used for cords that see flexing, and also cause greater tripping hazards.

SOOW cords are designed to take the abuse for which each type is rated.

Use a proper cord for extensions, and stay away from premesis wiring cables.

Thanks so much everybody for your advice, good stuff.

I have found a path between the appropriate floor joists to run the wiring from my basement panel to a suitable garage wall. I'll need to push the wiring through two joists (covered by a ceiling, so it's a tunnel type of thing) over a length of 12 feet or so, not sure if there is a special tool that can be used to guide the wire through and not have it bunch up, etc.

Was thinking I might try a tape measure, with a light string attached, then pull through a rope with the string, then pull through the wire with the rope, etc.

Is there a better way?

Thanks.

Lincoln V205-T AC/DC
    Lincoln MIG 180C
    JD2 Bender
    JD2 Notcher
    Myford ML7 Lathe
    Bend Brake
    Tungsten Grinder
    Drill Press
    Understanding Wife

Fishing poles work great. They even make things very similar that are specially designed for that, but no need to buy the special one if you've already got a flexible pole.

A really strong tape measure, might work, but I'm sure sure you'll find something. You're already thinking outside the box, and that'll get you there.

Quote Originally Posted by FearcityINC
    ...I went to Homie Depot, and picked up two stove type plugs......all three prongs the same size.....been working fine .........
    The proper NEMA 6 devices are at the same place and cost the same.

I have found a path between the appropriate floor joists to run the wiring from my basement panel to a suitable garage wall. I'll need to push the wiring through two joists (covered by a ceiling, so it's a tunnel type of thing) over a length of 12 feet or so, not sure if there is a special tool that can be used to guide the wire through and not have it bunch up, etc.

Was thinking I might try a tape measure, with a light string attached, then pull through a rope with the string, then pull through the wire with the rope, etc.

Is there a better way?
    Weenie dog and hamburger???

well maybe it wasnt uf.....its yellow, and let me check...yeah its definitely stranded
    Miller blue star 2e
    Lincoln 175

Quote Originally Posted by FearcityINC
    well maybe it wasnt uf.....its yellow, and let me check...yeah its definitely stranded
    Doesn't sound like UF. I'd be interested to know what it is, though.

It says underground....i dont know, havent seen it anywhere, but its really flexy, and really sturdy, my friend did a burnout out of my garage, and ran it over with a tire probably doing 85 mph, no tears or problems, its grrrreeeeat.
    Miller blue star 2e
    Lincoln 175

I went to the local Home Depot, and they have the cable recommended above (10/4 SO) and the NEMA 6-50R Receptacle (I believe one comes with the welder, but I thought I'd check anyways).

Now, I am going to have a hole drilled through my garage wall in to my basement, it's going to have to be about four inches above the garage floor to find it's way in to the basement (given how the basement ceiling and garage floor line up), here's a few things I'm not sure of:

1. The cable will be near the copper water pipe that comes through the wall in to my garage, where I hook up my lawn sprinkler, hose, etc., not sure if there is some rule that the cable cannot be too near the copper water pipe.

2. The wall where the receptacle will be placed is concrete, so the cable will come through the concrete wall about 4-5 inches from the concrete floor, then I assume I'd have to run the cable up the wall some to the receptable. Should conduit be used, with some of junction box or boxes, to get the cable up the wall and mount the receptacle?

If so, I'm thinking I'd need a 90 degree box setup where the cable comes out of the wall, but I'm not sure what I would need where the receptacle would be mounted.

Is there some sort of conduit friendly box where the receptacle can be mounted too, to keep everything safe and tidy? Anyone got any pictures of their setup that I could see to get an idea of what I should be doing?

Also, I'm going to try using a Tape Measure this weekend to see if I can push a string through, to pull a rope, etc., to eventually pull a cable through the joists. If that doesn't work, I might try my daughter's Guineau pig with a string and some incentive (food).

Regards to all.

Lincoln V205-T AC/DC
    Lincoln MIG 180C
    JD2 Bender
    JD2 Notcher
    Myford ML7 Lathe
    Bend Brake
    Tungsten Grinder
    Drill Press
    Understanding Wife

The NEMA 6-50 device (and your 240V welding machine) requires 3 wires. Why are you being recommended to get a 4-wire cord?

SO cord is not designed to be run through walls and conduits, like premesis cables are. You should use an NM or MC cable or just THHN wires in the appropriate conduit.

Mac, thanks for the advice, I'll check out this type of cabling this week, I'm still a bit confused but the information from all you folks is helping me put the pieces together.

I am going to take my time and hopefully do the right thing.

Regards to all.

Lincoln V205-T AC/DC
    Lincoln MIG 180C
    JD2 Bender
    JD2 Notcher
    Myford ML7 Lathe
    Bend Brake
    Tungsten Grinder
    Drill Press
    Understanding Wife

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSim
    Mac, thanks for the advice, I'll check out this type of cabling this week, I'm still a bit confused but the information from all you folks is helping me put the pieces together.

I am going to take my time and hopefully do the right thing.

Regards to all.
    Mac was referring to this statement :
    I went to the local Home Depot, and they have the cable recommended above (10/4 SO) and the NEMA 6-50R Receptacle (I believe one comes with the welder, but I thought I'd check anyways).
    98% of the welders out there do not require 4 wires, only three AND this SO cord you were looking at is for extension cords only and not for house wiring. That is, if you are running from the breaker panel to a receptacle, SO ain't the right stuff.

If you were looking at SO for an extension cord great.

Thanks Sandy, I appreciate it, I'm going to check in to the other wiring mentioned.

Regards.

Lincoln V205-T AC/DC
    Lincoln MIG 180C
    JD2 Bender
    JD2 Notcher
    Myford ML7 Lathe
    Bend Brake
    Tungsten Grinder
    Drill Press
    Understanding Wife

Even for an extension cord 10/4 SO has an extra wire that you won't use. Get "10/3 SO" for an extension cord and "10/2 w/ ground NM" for premesis cable.