TIG cooling fluid
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

TIG cooling fluid

What is everyone using for a good TIG cooling fluid that won't make a sticky/slick mess when a cooling water hose comes loose? I am currently using a Miller cooler with the vane type pump.

6"XX P5P8 6G

Re: TIG cooling fluid

Cofe

Glycol is optional, It's only necessary if your shop freezes.

Opus

I don't know about the mess. If you can't keep the plumbing together, I would suggest water.

We're using the Dynaflux anti-freeze because the price is right.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250
    Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    TA 161 STL
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder
    Clausing 5904 lathe
    Wells-Index 745 mill

RV antifreeze x2 on fixing the hoses first..
    4 Sale: GoWeld $395obo
    MM350P w/ Spoolmatic 30A
    ESAB 300AVS
    Everlast PowerTig 185 micro
    ESAB 875 plasma
    Evo 355. OA

I think I would try the RV antifreeze at $3 a gallon..

Quote Originally Posted by Oldendum View Post
    I don't know about the mess. If you can't keep the plumbing together, I would suggest water.

We're using the Dynaflux anti-freeze because the price is right.
    Yes, keeping the plumbing together is a problem. Five tig welders running 8hr. days 5 days a week. I do not want to use water, because then I would be fighting algae too. I might try Dynaflux if I cannot find some solution to mix up.

6"XX P5P8 6G

You shouldn't have an algae problem if you use distilled water, which you should for TIG coolers anyway. Just change the water every 6 months or so.

John
    A few welders
    A lot of hammers
    A whole lot of C-clamps

unit came with green coolant. Still using it.
    Lincoln Power Mig 350MP Ready Pak
    Lincoln Precision TIG 275 Ready Pak
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    CK TIG TORCH gas diffuser and pyrex cup
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
    A stout 15 yr old son to help!!

Green sounds like automotive coolant. reason not to use it is that it has sealants in it that can clog the torch. I would suggest changing to RV antifreese for $3 a gal at WM and distilled water
    MM350P w/ Spoolmatic 30A
    ESAB 300AVS
    ESAB 875 plasma
    Evo 355. OA

Well, after all these years.....I will change it out at some point. So far, so good. I honestly do not know what it is. It was in the machine when LWS delivered it.
    Lincoln Power Mig 350MP Ready Pak
    Lincoln Precision TIG 275 Ready Pak
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    CK TIG TORCH gas diffuser and pyrex cup
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
    A stout 15 yr old son to help!!

RV antifreeze has alcohol in it lite it with a match and confirm.
    It is not designed to be used as a coolant that is stated on the container.Not to be used as an engine coolant.
    Automotive antifreeze that is propylene base works best.There are hundreds of setups out there wit old auto type green antifreeze in them.Everyone speaks about the problem but no one I know has stepped forward with a plugged torch to confirm the legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
    It is not designed to be used as a coolant that is stated on the container.Not to be used as an engine coolant.
    Automotive antifreeze that is propylene base works best.There are hundreds of setups out there wit old auto type green antifreeze in them.Everyone speaks about the problem but no one I know has stepped forward with a plugged torch to confirm the legend.
    Good point but only 1/2 correct... the wally mart stuff I use to prime my hot pressure washer before storage for winter does.. So I retract my suggestion for tthat in a cooler. The prestone RV. Anti freeze in my cooler does not have alcohol in it. The auto antifreeze issue of blocking torches probably is an urban legend too. Spent my life working on vehicles and never seen antifreeze block up a leak the size of a torch orrifice on any vehicle. I'm gonna have to check the labels on the HD Fleet coolant that I use on my powerstroke and what all is in it.... that might be another option.
    MM350P w/ Spoolmatic 30A
    ESAB 300AVS
    ESAB 875 plasma
    Evo 355. OA

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
    It did not clog my torch..... but it DID clog my pump on my cooler.

I switched to a solution of 1 gallon of Praxair coolant, and the rest water. Not too slick, and it does not boil off real fast.

And yes, the pump likes it a lot more.
    I think she is Bi-polar. She is a bear sometimes. Does this make her a BiPolar bear????

A bit of info on RV antifreeze:

Propylene glycol oxidizes when exposed to air and heat, forming lactic acid. If not properly inhibited, this fluid can be very corrosive, so pH buffering agents are often added to propylene glycol, to prevent acidic corrosion of metal components. Besides cooling system corrosion, biological fouling also occurs. Once bacterial slime starts to grow, the corrosion rate of the system increases.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250
    Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    TA 161 STL
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder
    Clausing 5904 lathe
    Wells-Index 745 mill

I had an algae growth once when I used straight tap water, and since then I've used a bit of automotive antifreeze and tap water about 1:10.

Here's a shot from the miller coolmate 3 owners manual. I thought the coolant was supposed to be a good electrolyte to help carry current, but this manual makes me think I was wrong, because of the "low conductivity" note.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ian Tanner

Kawasaki KX450f and many other fine tools

You don't want it to conduct current. Otherwise it can take away your HF and some of the current when welding can stray into it and to a ground.

Quote Originally Posted by BCTimberwolf View Post
    You don't want it to conduct current. Otherwise it can take away your HF and some of the current when welding can stray into it and to a ground.
    That does make sense. I stepped up long ago to filtered water(reverse osmosis) from tap water. In the old days we just tapped off the faucet and drained into the sewer. I never noticed any difference. Then the hot setup was 50 gallon tanks with tap water and soluble oil. Now I use filtered water and synthetic cutting fluid(Trimsol). Everything in my shop uses Trimsol as a coolant.

My Procon pumps last a good 15 years before seal failure, and that is at least 20 hours per week usage. Every year or two I change the fluid and every 5 to 7 years I scrub the tanks of built up scum.

Filtered water keeps the stink out for a long time.
    "Nothing welded, nothing gained."
    Miller Dynasty700DX, 3 ea. Dynasty350DX, Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250, Hypertherm800

3 gallons of distilled water and 1 gallon miller coolant seems to be a good mixture for my setup. I figured might as well use whats recommended of my cooler/pump setup. 20 bucks a year isn't a bad price to pay.
    ESAB MigMaster 275
    Miller Econotwin HF
    Miller Syncrowave 250