Injury Pictures for Your Viewing Pleasure
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Injury Pictures for Your Viewing Pleasure

let's jsut say i am welding... LET'S JUST SAY.... hehehehe. let's also just say that the metal turns to a molten puddle.... funny how that happens huh? anyway. for some reason, gravity doesn't bend it's laws for molten metal and the darn bead falls.... let's also just say that my smartness wasn't all there... my beautiful fiance told me right before i went out to the shop... "remember to put your boots on. you may drop something on your foot and then how will you drive?" i quickly respond to that "silly" comment with a smart-alac phrase like "don't tell me my business woman... i knwo what i'm doing. nothing that i am welding is going to fall on my foot. nothing is big enough to do any damage." and off i go to do my thing. about 5 minutes later, she hears a very high-pitched, feminine scream comming from the garage. she instantly comes to my rescue and tells me the infamous line... i knew it was comming, but i was not anticipating the giddy laughter that was going to accompany the "I told you so". why did she say this you ask? well, maybe OSHA says that metal-workers need to have leather saftey boots on for a reason, other than for HEAVY falling objects. possibly, there may be something in there for falling liquid steel. yea... that stuff burns. don't knwo why, but it does. i guess the good thing about these kinds of injuries is that there is little to no blood. the steel tends to cauterize it's wound. so yea... for all you fellow new welders out there... WEAR BOOTS!!!! cheap-o shoes just don't cut it.

picture explanation:

1: the bead fell straight thru my shoelace... as in dead-center thru the thing... pure luck. it fused the nylon/polyester in the shoelace back together for me.

2: the bead first landed on the big wound. it was cauterized shut (no blood), then when i was trying to take my shoe off and check the damage, the thing bounced/rolled around in my sock and landed close to my big toe-nail, then decided to move to the other side of my foot to ensure total discomfort for the rest of the day. i only put my shoe back on for about an hour to go to a birthday party tonight. needless to say, it was very painful. all three injuries are blistered. this sucks.

hope you all enjoy my sheer stupidity

later,
    Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: Injury Pictures for Your Viewing Pleasure

If you use ice on it things will feel better. You might want to surround the ice with an adult beverage to make sure that it is sanitary.

hehe, been there a time or two. Hurts don't it? Drink a few beers and walk it off.

Quote Originally Posted by WelderBoy
    Drink a few beers and walk it off.
    trust me... if i were old enough, i'd have about 2 or three. that sucks. it still tingles a littel bit. i reall yhope i don't drop anything on it tomorrow. i ahve to do my grandpa's brakes on his truck. i'm getting some more scrap metal!! hehehehe... more brake rotors. i think my dad is getting fed up with seeing welded brake rotors around the shop... 4 from his excursion, 4 from my fiance's car, 4 more tomorrow, 2 rotors and 2 drums from mine.... hehehe. the only bad thing is that it's all cast iron. oha well... beggers can't be choosers.

later,
    Andy

P.S. hell yes it hurts. hehehehe

Just be glad it didn't get in your eye, that happened to me once with hot slag. That has to go under the definition of "pain" in the dictionary.

Pffftttt.......A mere flesh wound......rub some dirt on it.........quit sniveling....

next time..........listen to your woman.

Quote Originally Posted by aczeller
    she hears a very high-pitched, feminine scream comming from the garage.
    How you going to sound when you really get burnt

Sorry, I know it's painful but your description just had me laughing. Keep it clean and fresh neosporin on it whenever covered. When barefoot around the house leave it exposed to get some oxygen and start healing.
    Anything worth doing is worth doing RIGHT

GREAT STORY!!! I'm with Olddad- wacha' gonna' do when the REAL hurt starts!!!???? I like solder- it cools enough to stick to you, yet its' still plenty hot enough to keep on burning skin!!!
    I think she is Bi-polar. She is a bear sometimes. Does this make her a BiPolar bear????

I had a red hot SS rod with a point on one end I was lightly heat treating using a silicone grease the super heated silicone landed right on my pinky finger and instantly killed the skin and for 2 weeks I had a huge blister full of water on that finger. Wear gloves and keep body parts away from hot dripping stuff. I didn't screw though.

Spray some CRC Brake-Kleen on it and you'll be better.

I worked on the assembly line at a Kenworth factory in the south end of Seattle about 15 years ago.

The first day was an orientation day that included a slide show of horrible injuries that had happened in the place. Lots of swarf in the eye pics from the machine shop (no eye protection), badly broken bones (frame rails falling off the rollers landing on legs, arms, etc. hands getting stuck between hard objects), partly and completely missing digits. You name it and there was a picture of the injury.

I had been out the night before with friends and between the lack of sleep and the horror show on the screen I was pretty close to loosing my lunch.

it sucks when you are tig welding aluminum sitting down and a ball of molten aluminum falls in you lap, and you were dumb enough not to wear an apron, burns through your pants and underwear and compromises your abaility to reproduce.... I had that happen once.

Candy ***, you'll be awright
    Dewayne
    Dixieland Welding

MM350P
    Lincoln 100
    Some torches
    Other misc. tools

And there I thought you had got hurt. Like somebody else already said, that ya gonna do when you REALLY get burned?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan N
    Like somebody else already said, what ya gonna do when you REALLY get burned?
    well, considering that everone here nowthinks i'm a pansie and can't taolerate any pain, i'll probably be admitted to the ER, keel over, and jsut give up on life.

just to let everone know... i never intended for this to come across as true "PAIN". it is merely a uncomfortable inconvenience. i know that i stated i let out a "feminine, high-pitched scream", but that was merely for drama for my woman. she thought it was funny, and wihtin 5 minutes i was laughing it off. i didn't go back to welding for an hour or so (she made me lunch) and i put some boots on, but the next day i was back in the garage, no shirt (scared the neighbor kids), shorts, and the same shoes. i know... i warned everone to wear boots from now on, but who ever said i coudln't be a hypocrite? hehehehe

later,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by 69 chevy
    When's the last time you folks heard a real professional welder remark, "hehehe?" Or whine like a baby? For crying out loud, those marks aren't even red. Where do all these drama queens come from?
    when was the last time that you heard me claim to be even remotely close to being claimed as a professional welder? what professional welder uses a LE 100HD? besides, if you really want to complain about being profesisonal, then when was the last time that you really saw a "professional" say that they don't respond to posts from "BadAzzBu", then turn around and flaunt that "BadAzzBu" his selling his car? if you want to be professional, then don't try to hack people down. i'm sorry if you are in a pissy mood, but don't take it out on the rest of the forum members.

best regards,
    Andy

Hang in there Andy- we're just playing with you. And you know damn well, no one here HASN'T burned themselves, and we are just teasing. After all, I can handle almost chopping off a finger with a grinder, but splinters??? Stop everything, and get me some tweezers!!! The world just flipped on its' head!!!
    I think she is Bi-polar. She is a bear sometimes. Does this make her a BiPolar bear????

Quote Originally Posted by aczeller
    ... my beautiful fiance told me...
    ..."remember to put your boots on. you may drop something on your foot and then how will you drive?" ...
    Never mind!
    Last edited by denrep; 10-29-2007 at 08:24 PM.

Aw, dad gummit Pa! If a man can't hack a splinter outta his thumb with a camp hatchet, what kinda lumberjack is he gonna BE for the Ponderosa?
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & NKJV Bible

Danny

You can get the girlfriend to help you soak it in cider
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs. Unknown
    Pro Mig 175
    Hyphertherm 600
    Lots of toys at work

Quote Originally Posted by dangthatshot
    You can get the girlfriend to help you soak it in cider

been there... done that... with "Dickens Cider" hehehehehe

later,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by 69 chevy
    This forum is WeldingWeb--Professional Welding Forum. See, it says so on the page header. If you want to be here, at least try to act professional. Is that too much to ask?
    As you well know, that's just a name at the top of the page. When I decided to join it was because this place was primarily professional welders to one degree or another. Many of the different factions were represented here at that time. There are still a few of the pros hanging around but for the most part the ones I wanted to interact positively with have moved on with the newer PC stuff that has transpired. Some moved in just to start trouble and in the insueing clean-up many good folks got burnt. I still believe that the membership should control and guide the board and it was decided that the weekend warriors were a better match for the goals that had been set. For the most part, those of us that have done this for a while have our opinions and stand our ground. We're old shop rats and the newer PC types don't want to hear it.
    There are several quality members here that have just about quit posting and I apologize to them for having been part of their decision to be silent.
    Anything worth doing is worth doing RIGHT

A couple of years ago I had access to an O/A torch and using arc rods as fillers (flux beat off) I had a heated rod and I scratched my neck with the rod tip (my hand but the tip hit me) it hurt I flinched but most people don't scream.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojodiablo
    Hang in there Andy- we're just playing with you. And you know damn well, no one here HASN'T burned themselves, and we are just teasing. After all, I can handle almost chopping off a finger with a grinder, but splinters??? Stop everything, and get me some tweezers!!! The world just flipped on its' head!!!
    Funny you should mention grinders...

I had a 4.5" DeWalt kick back on me a couple days ago on the job; got in a bind, and you know how violent those things can be. It got real violent and decided it wanted to have its own way, but unfortunately, my shin was between it and the floor.

I didn't realize it caught my shin until about a half-hour later when I felt oozing inside my pants leg, and went to the bathroom to check. I've got a real nasty grinder burn right across my left shin (no phone-pics though, sorry) and I get the pleasure of scrubbing it out every evening and pouring rubbing alcohol into it to keep the chance of infection down.

You probably think I'm just talking smack; I wish I was. The scrubbing every evening is bad enough, but the alcohol is almost unbearable. (And I'm only using rubbing alcohol because the pharmacist told me that it kills more germs and bacteria than peroxide does....)

What really makes this bad is that something very similar happened when I was in Saudi during Desert Storm, except the grinder didn't kick out; I just wasn't paying attention, and when I pulled it away from the steel I was cleaning, I ran the blade up against the inside of my thigh. Had to have the medic scrub it and wrap it every morning for two weeks. (That's where I learned how to treat THIS injury.)

It hurts like all get out. But it's my own stupid fault.

Oh, and I've burnt my knuckles plenty of times with those stupid DeWalt grinders, too...