That little 70 amp Campbell Hausfeld welder
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

That little 70 amp Campbell Hausfeld welder

Has anybody used that little 70 amp sparkler machine by Campbell Hausfeld? I've been thinking about buying one for really light duty hobby work, like making candlestick holder, coat hangers and ornaments with. I think it would be more convenient than using an oxy fuel welder in some cases. This is the machine I'm referring to:

http://www.chpower.com/webapp/wcs/st...egory_rn=10766

I already have full access to a variety of very nice stick, MIG and TIG machines when I want them, so this would be more of a toy to play with. There's a guy selling them on ebay right now for 65 bucks, with free shipping, so there really isn't much to lose if I decide to try one. Worst case scenario is I can probably sell it for nearly that much.

Re: That little 70 amp Campbell Hausfeld welder

I had one for a short while. Never really used it for anything serious. Lucked out and found it in the Wal-Mart clearance aisle for $19.88! It had been "used" by the previous owner. It worked OK but the main problem I had was that the thin rod used with the 15A setting would stick in a heartbeat and turn into a lightbulb filiment before you could twist it free. It would tend to bend instead. 20A with a slightly thicker rod (I forget the sizes) was a little better, but still had a tendency to stick. That might be more my inexperience with stick, but I wasn't too bad with a Maxstar I had... I ended up selling it for $40. You see them on Ebay for $20-$30 but shipping might be an issue. Or you can buy it from Wal-Mart, return it, they buy it off the clearance rack for less!
    MM252 w/30A
    MM140 w/o AS w/SM100 w/CO2
    TA ArcMaster 185 TIG/Stick
    TA 85 TIG/Stick Lunchbox
    Hobart (Miller) AirForce 625
    Hobart AirForce 250ci
    Victor O/A (bored)
    Lincoln Patriot AutoShade (freebie)
    45ACP for those stubborn jobs...

Hmm, WalMart might be a good place to go look for a better deal on one.

I haven't welded with 1/16 rod, but I've heard its generally easier to make it stick to a workpiece and easier to bend. The larger rod size is probably 5/64, still thin and a little obscure. Very few of those little 110V AC buzz boxes can accept 3/32 or larger rods.

I'm going to go check out my local WalMart and report back if I score one for 20 bucks.

Seems to me CH is more of a little of everything nothing too good quality, wouldn't hurt for a little fun I suppose.

Now, have you priced out the source for the 1/16" and 5/64" welding rods?

I have a little 110 clarke stick welder that is 80 amps or so and it uses the 1/16'' and 5/64'' rods also.I get rod from ace or farm and fleet for it. It's not all that expensive,usually 5 bucks a pound or so.The forney rod from ace or hobart weld-it from farm and fleet work well.The more you use it the less you'll have sticking problems. Make sure you have a good ground and good metal prep.Mine won't run 3/32 either just not enough juice. I believe our wal-mart has the rod too.
    pro-level dumpster diver Hobart 125EZ

Today I was practicing some welds again with my Miller Thunderbolt. Using 3/32 E6011 rod, I was welding some steel plate about 3/16 thick at 75 amps AC. I then decided to run some practice beads at 50 amps. Welding at those low amperages is still a bit challenging for me, but certainly not impossible. Of course this is with a relatively top notch welder. I will also say that welding DCEP at such low amperages is very noticeably easier.

I went to Campbell Hausfeld's website and downloaded the owner's manual for this unit. It recommends only using E6013 or E7014 rod (specifically recommends against E6011 rod). E6013 rod is pretty available it seems in 1/16" size. I've never welded with 6013 electrodes before.

This is a pretty cheap and featureless unit, but I'm still kind of intrigued by it.

accidental double post

OK I'm going to drag up this old post again. I am significantly better as a welder since I first posted this. I am also now living in a college dorm.

Not so long ago I bought a Buffalo tools AWELD110 welder for 30 bucks on clearance. Unfortunately I didn't realize that it takes 220v input. Well I'm going to try and sell it for a bit more than that as I just purchased a refurb Campbell Hausfeld on ebay for 65 bucks and free shipping with a warranty.

I will be posting a detailed review of the welder as I have a couple of small projects that I intend to complete with it (few small additions to my workbench).

I have the exact CH 70amp stick you describe, bought mine at wal-mart for 121.00. Made a few lawnmower repairs with it, fixed a few chairs for lawn furniture the round wrought iron type. It wasn't at all bad for that type thing. But as for cloths hangers.... if you mean assembling the cloths hangers as art, I don't think that will work [ but I can't be sure ]. All and all though I think it still has it's place, and I still have it.
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Millermatic 130 XP
    Lincoln HD 100
    Forney C-5bt Arc welder
    Plasma Cutter Gianteach Cut40A
    Cent Machinery Bandsaw Horz/Vert
    Cent Machinery 16Speed H.D. Drill Press
    Chicago Electric 130amp tig/90 amp Arc

Yes I should add that my usage ideas have changed. I will be using the little welder to fabricate a few small brackets for some light duty shelving and possibly a minor addition to my new workbench. :-)