I actually did a little welding on this thing. Not much and it was with an A/O torch but it should count.
I needed another rifle. REALLY, I did. I ran across a old clunk that really needed some tender, loving care or thrown in the dumpster. The price was right (really cheap and it should have been) so I decided to rescue it. I'm a glutton for punishment. Old thing was missing the sights, had four bulges in the barrel where someone just kept stacking bullets after the first squib, (.22 LR so it didn't blow up) no rifleing left for about 5" where they drove the bullets out, a split stock, and a bolt handle that had been welded back on. Blue was still pretty good though.
The bolt handle wouldn't clear a scope so I heated it up to bend it and it fell off. Expletive! Made a new handle and knob and welded it back on, thus the welding. Ordered a barrel liner and made a deep drill from a 5/16" bit and my last piece of 1/4" rg 60 acetylene rod which is no longer available in this part of the world. Got a little brazing in on that project.Epoxied the liner in, cut the extra off, chucked it up and cut a new crown. Needle file took care of the extractor cuts. It was a tube magazine repeater until I found the lifter contraption didn't lift the rounds into place anymore. No problem. I intended to convert it to single shot anyway. Did a little trigger work and milled out a trigger shoe to fool my finger about the pull weight. Made an ejector and all I needed was a stock.
Maybe I've reached my second childhood but I was tired of conventional stocks so I went wild. Glued up some plywood, clamped it in the mill and went nuts. Made an "ergonomic" buttplate from aluminum and then went to painting. The stock fits me perfectly as I intended when I started.
Old thing shoots pretty well for an old J.C. Higgins (Marlin 81) that was ready for the salvage yard.
May I present "The Old Clunk". It's in front of about the only green thing I could find around here.
A shot of the funny looking buttplate. Don't laugh too hard, it works very well.
Oh, the brass gadget on the end of the barrel is an experiment at tuning barrel harmonics. So far I am of the opinion that the rifle is slightly more accurate with than without it.