what is the best rod to use for 2 3/8 oilfield pipe?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

what is the best rod to use for 2 3/8 oilfield pipe?

I will be starting to build livestock corrals soon - using used 2 3/8 oilfield pipe. What is the best rod to weld the 2 3/8 oilfield pipe? AC or DC? Of course I will be welding in all positions including upside down . thanks y'all
    Last edited by soapthedog45`; 09-21-2012 at 02:55 AM.

Re: what is the best rod to use for 2 3/8 oilfield pipe?

Dc 7018

I tack & weld at least one pass of 6010 (DC) or 6011 (AC/DC) & then finish with 7018 (DC).
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.
    -Cree Indian Proverb

SA 200 Lincoln
    Victor Torches

E70xx

Tack up with 6010..... now, it's not going to have much "give" with those tacks.
    Fill and cap with 7018.

Drill pipe is going to be magnetized. Experiment by wrapping your welding lead or ground around the pipe in the area you are welding. That will offset the magnetism.

If magnetism is really bad, I usually swap over to a MIG setup. MIG doesn't care about magnetized pipe.

Good Luck,

Hobo
    Lincoln SA200's... at least 15 - 20. They come and go. Growing partial to the "Short Hoods" in my old age. Last count on Short Hoods was 13 in possession.

Quote Originally Posted by hobohilton View Post
    Tack up with 6010..... now, it's not going to have much "give" with those tacks.
    Fill and cap with 7018.

Drill pipe is going to be magnetized. Experiment by wrapping your welding lead or ground around the pipe in the area you are welding. That will offset the magnetism.

If magnetism is really bad, I usually swap over to a MIG setup. MIG doesn't care about magnetized pipe.

Good Luck,

Hobo
    Feedlots and ranches (corrals) often use oilfield tubing and sucker rods for heavy fencing.

2 7/8" pipe is tubing, not drill pipe. It is stationary in the borehole, transporting oil, gas, water, etc. up to the surface (or down from the surface). It does not rotate and is usually cooler than drill pipe and less apt to be as heavily magnetized, but can be slightly magnetized. In rare cases, some wells are drilled "slim hole" where normal tubing is used instead of and as "drill pipe" in the drill string.

Drill pipe can be magnetized; true. But it is rotated and usually at higher temperatures and thus gets magnetized more easily (like rubbing a magnet along a nail to make a magnet). If it's tubing, you may not have to go to all that trouble.

Like hobo said, ...either wrap it or go MIG if you see that's the problem.
    Last edited by shortfuse; 09-21-2012 at 10:00 PM.

This is what I use 6011 (AC/DC)

i'm welding corrals with that stuff now tack with 6010 or 7018 and weld with 7018.

Two pass 6010 down hill will suffice. Run 1/8 inch dia. @ about 80-85 amps and experiment with your arc length to create as smooth a cap as you can. You don't necessarily have to "step" it, a nice even "wash" can give you good results.
    This will be much faster than a 7018 finish and is more than strong enough plus it is easier than 7018 for a welder with limit experience with stick.

Tack with lincoln 5 +P 6010, fill and cap with Lincoln Excalibur 7018. Oh sure you can use different stuff but those are my favorites.

Are you selling these or are they for you, sounds like, since is used pipe, it probably is dirty inside and out. If so, grab some 6011 1/8 and weld them. These are not certified welds and appearance probably is not a huge concern.

If you want to use 6010 and 7018 then make sure the joints are clean!

So is the 2-3/8s tubing as well or is it pipe? I cut it open and the OD is 2-3/8s and the ID is 2". Its 3/16" wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezalycasaid View Post
    So is the 2-3/8s tubing as well or is it pipe? I cut it open and the OD is 2-3/8s and the ID is 2". Its 3/16" wall.
    Technically, the 2 3/8" surplus or used oilfield pipe you are using is pipe, not tubing.

That confusion comes from oilfield terminology for small diameter pipe which is usually called "tubing" to distinquish it from larger diameter pipe such as casing, pipeline pipe,etc. That's where the confusion usually occurs.

Look here:

http://www.indpipe.com/images/PDF/pipesheet.pdf

http://www.indpipe.com/product_f.asp

The 2" pipe has an ID of 2" and an O.D of 2 3/8", but in the oilpatch they call it 2 3/8" pipe, not 2"

Tubing is measured by OD, pipe by ID., but in the oilpatch they don't always follow the rules.
    Last edited by shortfuse; 11-19-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Livestock corrals are not code work.
    However, if your welding pieces of this pipe end to end. You will want to bevel each end and run a root pass with 6010 or 6011 to get full penetration.
    You can then finish the rest of the joint with 6010 or 6011 or you can finish the joint with 7018...Up to you, its just a cattle corral.
    If your just welding pieces of the pipe parrell with each other, building a fence so to speak, i'd just use 7018.
    DC+ (reverse polarity) as all stick should be ran.
    Last edited by snoeproe; 11-19-2012 at 07:38 PM.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Torchmate CNC table
    Ironworkers Local 720

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    Technically, the 2 3/8" surplus or used oilfield pipe you are using is pipe, not tubing.

That confusion comes from oilfield terminology for small diameter pipe which is usually called "tubing" to distinquish it from larger diameter pipe such as casing, pipeline pipe,etc. That's where the confusion usually occurs.

Look here:

http://www.indpipe.com/images/PDF/pipesheet.pdf

http://www.indpipe.com/product_f.asp

The 2" pipe has an ID of 2" and an O.D of 2 3/8", but in the oilpatch they call it 2 3/8" pipe, not 2"

Tubing is measured by OD, pipe by ID., but in the oilpatch they don't always follow the rules.

So with that being said, would I run into an issue useing it to build a 18x20 shope frame. Ive used it and worked with it on workover rigs and it bends and flex's really well and retains its shape right after when ive moved it in 31 foot length. Id only be useing 9 1/2 foot tall legs and 11 foot straights for the roof. With braceing. Ive put a ratchet strap in the center of a 10ft straight before and pulled on it with everything the 25k ratchet strap had and it didnt budge or bend.

If I'm building in place I use 7018. If I'm in the shop, I use dual shield flux core, it's much faster and joint prep isn't as critical.
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Ezalycasaid View Post
    So with that being said, would I run into an issue useing it to build a 18x20 shope frame. Ive used it and worked with it on workover rigs and it bends and flex's really well and retains its shape right after when ive moved it in 31 foot length. Id only be useing 9 1/2 foot tall legs and 11 foot straights for the roof. With braceing. Ive put a ratchet strap in the center of a 10ft straight before and pulled on it with everything the 25k ratchet strap had and it didnt budge or bend.
    Folks use it all the time for light structural work...don't think it would be a problem. It's a common size and readily available. Being familiar with it on workover rigs, you know what it's limitations are.

Just don't get any "junk" pipe. Make sure it's not corroded, pitted, or has any defects particularly for load-bearing parts. For fencing, maybe the only load-bearing problem would be a p*ssed off bull.

From www.gobobpipe.com:

"There are four grades of EMI'd pipe. Most generally they use these specs: White band - Means pipe has a maximum of 12% body wall loss (this is new specs according to the API, we will cover this later). Yellow band - Means the pipe has a maximum of 15 % body wall loss. Blue band - Means the body wall loss is somewhere between 16 & 30%. Finally, Red band - Means the pipe has a body wall loss of over 30%. This is the pipe usually that is turned over for structural use. All the white, yellow & blue are reused in oil wells. Does that mean you should stay away from pipe with red bands painted on it? Well, probably yes, but many times the inspection companies simply do not paint the red band so you don't really know."

Another link with color banding for pipe grading: (go to the bottom of the webpage)

http://www.inter-mountain.com/octg.htm
    Last edited by shortfuse; 11-20-2012 at 12:44 AM.

I agree with the 7018, but I would get some AC7018. Some drillstem is magnetized so bad that wrapping the cable doesn't always seem to work. If you use AC you won't have to screw around wrapping and unwrapping cables. Years ago before I had a wire feed, I built lots of panels using an old AC welder.